First aquisition - help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixio88

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an ESL enthusiast and has always dreamt of a Martin Logan. It's time for me to buy one pair. I search on the second hand market but I don't really find a place where I could understand all the history of the brand with all the model. Does someone know a website or whatever?

I have recently listen to Electromotion ESL but I didn't like the bass section. Bass reflex is definitively not my preference.
Is there any old ML with closed bass section? What is your best suggestion for my first acquisition.

For the background, I drive with a class AB Revar amplifier that is almost 400W (4ohm) with a big reserve of capacitor.

Thanks for all your adivse and constructive feedback,

BR,

Nicolas

The main factor to consider between used ESL's and new is panel age. The replacement panels have gone up significantly.
I suggest you audition the newer masterpiece series. Also a used one that is a couple years old would be a consideration.
You have more than enough amp power and the newer speakers are not as demanding. The site has a lot of information on theses topics.
Good luck!

What's your goal:

- 2- channel audiophile musical bliss?
- chest thumping, bass-in- your-face home theater experience?
- a little of both?

Consider getting a subwoofer. I have a pair of ESL's (floor models) from BestBuy paired with a REL HT1205 sub. I love the sound for music and home theater.

Hi, I definitly search a 2 channel audiophile ML pair.

The bass section is a tricky point from my perception. I know that Martin Logan made closed bass section in the past but I can't find documentation on different models that where produced. Does anyone these datas?

Go to the Martin Logan website, then hit Product Support. Then you will hit Product Museum. This is a fairly extensive list of all the out of date products. It is a VERY handy list to refer too.

My budget is variable. I would like to stand below 10kUSD for the pair. Generally speaking I prefer a recent second hand rather than a brand new for the same budget
Why not purchase a pair of Magnepan LRS for $650 plus shipping? They're only 14"x48"x1", weight 48 lbs(pair).
I've had a pair of ML CLS II since 1989, bought a used pair of ML CLS 1's early this year.

When I got the LRS speakers, set them up with an Anthem AVM 20 pre/classDaudio STR amp. First impression in 5 minutes was...I've got to re-listen to all my music. 8 months later I'm thinking maybe I'll get another pair for my main room, replacing the ML CLS 1's.

The LRS speakers (Two-way Quasi Ribbon) are to demonstrate the audio qualities of their new more expensive speakers. I'll never replace CLS panels (+$3,000) again, I would rather buy the larger Magnepans in that price range.

I do have the ML subs in my main room for home theater, but the LRS is really amazing even with organ music w/no subs. Extremely clear with amazing clarity.

Ordering from the factory takes several months.

Why not purchase a pair of Magnepan LRS for $650 plus shipping? They're only 14"x48"x1", weight 48 lbs(pair).
I've had a pair of ML CLS II since 1989, bought a used pair of ML CLS 1's early this year.

When I got the LRS speakers, set them up with an Anthem AVM 20 pre/classDaudio STR amp. First impression in 5 minutes was...I've got to re-listen to all my music. 8 months later I'm thinking maybe I'll get another pair for my main room, replacing the ML CLS 1's.

The LRS speakers (Two-way Quasi Ribbon) are to demonstrate the audio qualities of their new more expensive speakers. I'll never replace CLS panels (+$3,000) again, I would rather buy the larger Magnepans in that price range.

I do have the ML subs in my main room for home theater, but the LRS is really amazing even with organ music w/no subs. Extremely clear with amazing clarity.

Ordering from the factory takes several months.
Do those Magnepan speakers wear out like the Martin Logan panels do?

Do those Magnepan speakers wear out like the Martin Logan panels do?
I've owned them for less than a year, I have no idea. I would guess the ribbons are not as physically robust as the CLS panels. These are Magnepan's current Quasi-ribbon speakers, history of the older type Magnepan's may not apply. For sound at this price I don't care. Replacing ML CLS panels doesn't upgrade the electronics, so they're certainly not "like new". My CLS are from 1989, I'm sure ML has improved the electronics and panels (in new models) but they cost quite a bit more the original CLS too.

I've owned them for less than a year, I have no idea. I would guess the ribbons are not as physically robust as the CLS panels. These are Magnepan's current Quasi-ribbon speakers, history of the older type Magnepan's may not apply. For sound at this price I don't care. Replacing ML CLS panels doesn't upgrade the electronics, so they're certainly not "like new". My CLS are from 1989, I'm sure ML has improved the electronics and panels (in new models) but they cost quite a bit more the original CLS too.
Just wondering if the Magnepan's can be refreshed like the Martin Logans by putting in new panels. If a ribbon wears out, is that the end for the speaker? I wonder if Magnepan services those and makes parts for old models. I always liked the way Magnepans sound and considered them.

Robert, I don't know about refresh. They do offer a several models at below $9,000 and of course more expensive....but they are all full range ribbon, no cone sub woofer. There is a ribbon sub available. For $650 +shipping...the LRS demonstrate what the larger models sound like.

In my bungalows' 2nd floor room of 13'x30' with 6' ceiling that slopes down, I'm just always amazed at what the LRS bring out in well known music.

I'm going thru all my music, from 1959 Henry Mancini "Mr. Lucky" to Pat Travers "Green Eyed Lady".

Maybe I'm wrong but if Maggies are operated as designed with fuses in place, I have not heard anything about them "wearing out" and needing panel replacement. My advise would be to look for a used pair of Summit X's. Under your budget and if properly set up, a terrific speaker with adjustable bass options.

Back