Finally part of the club: Aeon i's have arrived

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Timmerweb

After many years of lusting after Martin Logans, finally the opportunity came. The close-out deals offered on the Aeon i's was too good for me to pass up, so I pounced. They arrived on Friday. Picture attached. (Don't worry, there is seating in the sweet spot, that chair between them is not the main listening position :) ).

Currently being driven by an Integra receiver, but some replacement equipment is now on the roadmap.

-Tim

Attachments

• DSCN1733.JPG
    DSCN1733.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 416
Once you find the best spot in the house for them and the woofers are broken in and developing full bass - you need to do something important. Get those pad feet off, and get some spikes on - the bigger the better.

Link to my system #42:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=531

The spikes will get moved off of coins and little pads, so don't bother ruining your floors that way. What you need is a pad which the spikes sit on.

Cheep way:
Felt pads under larger thicker concrete patio pavers.

Expensive way:
BrightStar bigfoot or other sand box type acoustic/energy sink.

My way:
Built my own sandboxes which were too soft, put steel plate on top on them to add back the sparkle.

There are other ways, look in the member systems section.

Congratulations.

Congratulations. They probably sound good already, but they really will sound better after they've broken-in for a week or so. Everything opens up and mellows out, much more so than I would have expected.

kach22i said:
Once you find the best spot in the house for them and the woofers are broken in and developing full bass - you need to do something important. Get those pad feet off, and get some spikes on - the bigger the better.

Link to my system #42:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=531

The spikes will get moved off of coins and little pads, so don't bother ruining your floors that way. What you need is a pad which the spikes sit on.

Cheep way:
Felt pads under larger thicker concrete patio pavers.

Expensive way:
BrightStar bigfoot or other sand box type acoustic/energy sink.

My way:
Built my own sandboxes which were too soft, put steel plate on top on them to add back the sparkle.

There are other ways, look in the member systems section.

Congratulations.

Thanks for the tip! I had been kind of wondering what to do in this area. I have the ETC spikes that came with the speakers.

What exactly is the goal for the interface between the floor and whatever the spikes will be sitting on? I ran the patio stones idea past the wife and the reaction was a bit cold. So I was thinking something with a little lower profile, like maybe porcelain or granite tile. But would that be heavy enough?

-Tim

recommendation

Tim,

I've had wood floors with 2 ML models, the SL3's and now the Summits. The best solution, other than putting those spikes into the floor, is to buy the brass discs (about the size of a dime) available through Audio Advisors (AA) in Grand Rapids, MI. AA is a "catalog" store that handles a variety of high end products and accessories. They are very repuitable and offer a 30 day money back guarantee. The discs are designed specifically for this interface problem (small indent in the bottom of the disc for the spike to fit into) and work well, aesthetically and sonically. You can adjust the position of the speaker with the discs in place, which is also very helpful.

Gordon

Gordon Gray said:
You can adjust the position of the speaker with the discs in place, which is also very helpful.
I did not know this, sounds like a good alternative if the wife factor disallows other options.

I know coins don't work, they don't have the indent - the discs look cool too. Maybe you can convince her you need the matching spikes. :)

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=341

I think Audio Advisor also has spikes, the thread above mentions the right screw threads to have (I think).

Congratulations!!! I am a new Aeon-i owner also...mine have been a source of great listening pleasure once they were broken in and I spend hours (and hours) just enjoying the glorious, transparent and distortion free music that emanate from these superb ML speakers.

I paired them with a Rotel 1080-B amp and (for me at least) the combination with the Aeon-i has been perfect!!! I can recommend the Rotel without any reservations.

You might want to explore using the bi-wired option... perhaps I am fooling myself but I think it added a "little something" to the sound...

Anyway... I am sure you will enjoy your system....have fun!

Awesome Aeon i's...

Tim,

Welcome to the ML Club!

Congratulations on a beautiful set of Aeon i speakers... :D Your listening room looks very comfortable as well. What type of gear are you looking at up grading to? I must say your Aeon i's look fantastic in your listening room... :D

It's good to have you here. :D

Robin said:
Tim,

Welcome to the ML Club!

Congratulations on a beautiful set of Aeon i speakers... :D Your listening room looks very comfortable as well. What type of gear are you looking at up grading to? I must say your Aeon i's look fantastic in your listening room... :D

It's good to have you here. :D

The equipment upgrade picture is still very murky. I have Rotel in my mind, but that's mostly based on their reputation for good value. I'll probably wait for a while though so I can build up enough budget to get some decent stuff.

Thanks for the kind words and advice from everyone here. Particularly the recommendation for the coupling discs.

-Tim

Back