Finally - I can say I am a Martin Logan Owner!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain_tinker

Reaction score
Hello Folks!
Well, after reading this thread for some time now, and posting a few times, and asking a few questions (albeit some dumb noob questions) I can finally say without reservation that I am now finally a Martin Logan Owner!

Here is how it went down. The 15th is my anniversary, and my Wife actually suggested the night before that since I have constantly been talking about these ML speakers and subwoofers that since we would getting a baby sitter for the kids that maybe she could take me to Paradyme and I could show her all this stuff that I have been talking about for months now. She had promised that with the tax return money that I could buy a subwoofer, but only as long as she could hear it and see it in person and make the judgement on it. So I happily took her up on the deal, and brought her there the next evening before we went to the restaurant.

Well, I started out by listening to the Clarity. They had stuck them off in a corner of the store, where the accoustics were really awful, but even with the awful accoustics, they sounded really nice. Very clear, and the imaging was nice. Then I stood up, and the sound dropped off dramatically! I guess that is normal, since I have heard a lot about sweet spots etc. That's when I realized that we don't always sit down when we are listening, we are often up and around, especially with kids. So perhaps in the room that we have right now, those would not be the best choice. Owell, so I took her to hear the Mosaics.

I found that whenever I moved around, either up or down, I could still hear them very well, and it didn't muffle at all. The sound was very solid in comparison to the Clarity, which had a bit more of an ethereal sound to it. Not sure how to really descibe it other than that. So I told my wife, that they were the $1800 speakers... The salesman said, "actually, they are on markdown because there are only these floor models left plus two more pair in the back. ML is phasing these out and getting a new model out soon." So they had marked them down by $500! I did some quick figuring and realized that the bonus I had gotten at work would just about cover it exactly! So I said, "Uh honey, can we talk about this for a bit?" So we discussed it and figured I would have them put the speakers on hold overnight while we went over the budget at home. This was Friday evening. So we went to dinner, and had a good time, then when we got home we went over the budget and figured that we could get the speakers, and then after the tax return, I could probably come back and get a subwoofer, either the Dynamo or the Grotto. Whichever I prefer at that point.

I hardly slept at all that night. When I did, I dreamed about the Mosaics. I know, it's sad. Like a little boy on Christmas Eve... I woke up about 6:30 and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up and stayed up. After running a couple of errands, my wife told me ok, you can go now... So I went straight to the store, and they were actually surprised to see me. They didn't think that my wife would actually let me do it. So I loaded them into the Tracker, (tight fit, but it worked) and went straight home and got them hooked up. Oh the Wonder and the Beauty of it all! What a wonderful room filling sound, and they are not even broken in yet! I also don't have a good amp on them yet, but I will probably do that soon too. I am thinking of maybe a Rotel RB-1070. I am pretty sure that it would work fine from the specs, and the price is nice too.

Anyway, Here are a few pics of the new setup:

Pic 1: Full Frontal shot of the entertainment center with the Mosaics off to the sides.

Pic 2: Right speaker with reflection of the Christmas Tree in the glass.

Another nice thing, and quite a surprise too, the kids have not really taken much interest in playing with them. Of course as soon as I set them up, I brought both of them over, and showed the speakers to them and said, "Don't Touch." My little son was cute. He stood up, looked at them, shook his finger at them and made a face, and said "no, no, no!" And walked away. :haha1: My daughter looked me square in the eye and said, "Ok daddy." And so far, so good. So I guess I will try this out and see how it works. Maybe I'll just play 1812 overture a few times and blast the cannons at them a few times, and they won't dare come near them anyway. :D

Anyway, your comments and ideas are welcome. Thanks guys for the education you have been providing me and hope that you will continue to do so. Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

-capT

Congrat’s Cap.

You will love them; just give them a hundred hours or so to brake in. If your worried about your kids destroying them, you might want to think about a heavy cover that could protect them when your not using the mosaics.

Enjoy,

Awesome!!!!

Your story reminds me of how I got my first pair of MLs.. the Mosaics and how it got me bitten by the very very costly ML bug! I remember returning a pair of the Sonus Faber speakers to Tweeter and asking (accidentally) about other speakers in the $1.2K range and the guy mentioned that the Mosaics were on sale for a limited time... I asked how much and I was floored by the price the guy quoted me (same as yours) and I remember that I thought they were worth the $2K they were retailing for based on earlier listening impressions.

After I got the Mosaics, I wanted to move up to the ESLs and I tried my hand with the Clarity.... but I found the Mosaics to be more dynamic and better centerfill.... too bad as I ended up jumping a few ML models and saved up for the Vantage (and then to the *ahem*... you know which).

Anyway, in the end, the Mosaics are one of my favorite speakers in the ML lineup....

And I'm SUPER SUPER happy that you're happy with your pair!!

Woke up at 6:30 like a little boy, eh? Dont worry... that happens to the best of us!

Joey :cheers: :cheers:

Congratulations. You will not regret the choice you made.

Hi all, I am also a first time Martin Logan owner, and I LOVE them! Just finished building my system:

IMG_0105.jpg

Clarity Front speakers
Abyss subwoofer
Vignette Center channel and Rear Speakers

Yamaha RX-V2500 main amp/reciever
Pioneer Elite SACD/DVD player with HDMI upscaling
Sony XSRD 70" 1080p
Panamax 5500 MX line conditioner with AC Regeneration Toroidial Power Supply

HI Cap,
Good deal. I know my CLS's were and are the high water mark of my hi fi adventure. I know you will be very happy.

Sparky

That's great Captain. I am sure you will enjoy them for a long time. You do realize there will be consequences for having a great pair of ML's. In the short term your honey-do-list will start to grow because you will be listening at every possible moment. Then your very understanding wife will start to say "are you going to listen to music all day" even though it has only been a couple of hours. But as soon as you cross a few things off the list all will be OK. It never ceases to amaze me how you don't have to be young to be that exited about something. When I start thing about buying new gear I find it hard to concentrate on other things around me. That is what life is all about dreams and goals. Keep us posted on how they sound as you run thru your music you haven't listened to in a long time, it will not sound the same.

Congrats!

I have had my Mosaics for about 2 years now, and I love them. I have a large room, and bad acoustics, but man they do the job. I also have the Grotto sub. I just installed my Rotel RMB1095 5 channel amp, and man what a difference. I have it connected to my Yamaha RX-V2500 AVR using the pre-outs. I am moving down the path, just like you.

Put on your favorite music cd, and sit with your eyes closed, and take it in brotha! Congrats again on a great choice!

Regards,
Bill

Oh Happy Days !!

catian , Congrats ! Great story, for we both have gotten our early Christmas presents !! Enjoy them and welcome aboard !

From a new owner to another new owner, CONGRATS!! ML has also been amazing to me and my wife.:cheers:

CapT and Mango,

Welcome! Glad to have you here! Be sure and get your post off to Tom so he can post your system in the members system area!

I am pretty new here too...it is a great group of audioholics! Hello, my name is James and I have been a Martin Logan addict for about 6 years now! ;)

You guys are really getting it going! Enjoy!

Oh, CapT you will love the Rotel! That is a very nice amp and should be plenty of power for your speakers. I use a 1090 and 1095 (as well as a 1050 for zone 2 work) in my system and am very happy with it so far!

Captain & Mango. Welcome to the electrostatic-herion den! Bwahahaha! LOL!

You'll love your MLs! We've had our Aerius i's for 7 years, and we love them! Amazing that your wife agreed since planar speakers take up so much real estate. Keep your MLs properly powered. Otherwise, like us, you'll get a lot of distortion when you increase the volume and the speakers pull a heavier load than your receiver can handle. You can get some pretty fantastic deals on the internet for used gear. I picked up a Rotel RSX-965 for $550 with a pair of Transparent MusicWave speaker cables.

Dig around, and you can find some good gear. As always when buying on the internet, do your research and take your time. It's a big world, something will pop up!

In the last couple of weeks, we've picked up an Adcom 545II amp ($202 shipped) and a Linn Wakonda ($447 shipped). The Linn arrives tomorrow, and we're really excited!

Have fun with your new toys, Mango & Captain!!!:rocker: :musicnote:

Congrats Captain! Enjoyed reading your story. Now the real fun begins,rediscovering your music collection.
:band:

Back