Finally heard (and saw) Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aliveatfive

Reaction score
Sound by Singer in Manhattan finally has a pair set up and ready to demo. I took a listen to them today. Here is my impression: despite a major case of 60 hertz hum from associated amplification, one could hear a very pure midrange. I listened to male and female vocals (Livingston Taylor and Diana Krall) and I was impressed with the way the speaker was able to reproduce the human voice. Unfortunately, I did not get to hear anything with very deep bass, so I cannot comment on that aspect of their sound.

Equally impressive, however, is the physical appearance of this speaker. I was quite unprepared for the small footprint that they present. My wife, I am sure, will be thrilled with the way in which they do not draw attention to themselves.

Overall, I was impressed with them.

PS: I ordered a pair!

ordered?

How can you order something you haven't heard in your system that costs so much; especially when you didn't check out the bass response? You cannot get the whole picture by listening in a store. This is why these greedy merchants are able to get away with this; because people will come in and lay down big bucks and not demand a home audition. Do you realize the Singer didn't pay anymore than $6K for those speakers and he probly made a $3K-$4K profit without having to do any work; just a little demo in the store. And what if you don't like the way it sounds at home? Andy will try to sell you something else because he'll claim something else is wrong in your system, like and amp or some other expensive item. I would never by anything from that guy, because in my opinion, he lacks integrity and just wants to make a quick buck. Good luck returning something to him after he has your money!!

I have not had a bad experience with any transaction from that particular store. You may have had a different experience from mine. What store will let you take a pair of $10,000 speakers home for an audition? Who will transport them? Who will carry them to the listening location? The other local dealers who sell them are not worth my consideration in my opinion. I've read enough to decide that these speakers will fit the bill for my needs. If they don't, I'll be forced to sell them and take the loss.

BTW - I've owned MartinLogans since about 1988 and I think I can identify the "house" sound that they have tried to create. Based upon what I heard today, I am prepared to state that what I hear with my Ascents has been refined more accurately.

ascent i

I had an Ascent i pair here for audition and found that vocals lost dynamics and focus at higher volumes. They also would not play Big band music at higher volumes without some compression. I have a Mac 2200 tube pre-amp, 400 WPC Mac SS amp, Sony SCD-1 SACD player. I thought the speaker did NOT deliver the whole musical message. I hope the Summit is better

Gee, why are you ragging on this guy? He has experience with the line of speakers and was happy with what he heard. Its his money, not yours, and I cannot imagine he will not like the Summits since, even with a poor demo, he found much to like. It can only get much better when he gets them home. I for one look forward to your in-home experience with these speakers, Aliveatfive. :)

I'm using the Ascents with a Balanced Audio Technology VK 51se tubed preamp. I'm driving them with an Audio Research VT 100 III (tubed) power amp. Sources include Magnum Dynalab MD106 tuner, SME 10 turntable and Esoteric DV50s multiplayer. I've always liked the way MLs sounded with tubes. Listening spaces and tastes differ greatly in this hobby of ours and I suppose we make allowances in our equipment for what our budgets and tastes dictate.

tascam said:
I had an Ascent i pair here for audition and found that vocals lost dynamics and focus at higher volumes. They also would not play Big band music at higher volumes without some compression. I have a Mac 2200 tube pre-amp, 400 WPC Mac SS amp, Sony SCD-1 SACD player. I thought the speaker did NOT deliver the whole musical message. I hope the Summit is better

I have heard that SS Mac amps and ML speakers are not a synergystic match. When I had SL3's, they were able to handle vocals and big band music without suffering from compression.

aliveatfive said:
PS: I ordered a pair!

Congratulations! Enjoy them to their fullest.

You owe NO ONE an explanation (possibly wife excluded) as to why you bought them, ESPECIALLY not from an internet board where you've probably
never even met the people!

-D

Thanks for your support! As long as my wife doesn't see the board, I guess I'm OK!

tascam said:
How can you order something you haven't heard in your system that costs so much; especially when you didn't check out the bass response? You cannot get the whole picture by listening in a store. This is why these greedy merchants are able to get away with this; because people will come in and lay down big bucks and not demand a home audition. Do you realize the Singer didn't pay anymore than $6K for those speakers and he probly made a $3K-$4K profit without having to do any work; just a little demo in the store. And what if you don't like the way it sounds at home? Andy will try to sell you something else because he'll claim something else is wrong in your system, like and amp or some other expensive item. I would never by anything from that guy, because in my opinion, he lacks integrity and just wants to make a quick buck. Good luck returning something to him after he has your money!!

As I'm reading your reply, I'm trying to find out why you're taking this tone with Aliveatfive, but then I find out who you're realy upset with. No need to bring 5 down with the dealer...

Aliveatfive,
I envy you! Enjoy enjoy!!!!!

AliveAtFive - Congats on the new purchase. Like others have stated, if you like what you heard and it was enough to convince you to buy them, then you made the right decision. It is your money and your decision. We all can tell you what we would have done.

In regards to Singer: This is not the first time I have heard people give crap about the "Singer" store. But the place is still in business, so they must be doing something right - or the clientelle that comes in have the big $$$ without the knowledge (no slam on you at all AliveAtFive). I have a store near me and I have seen them sell stuff to people who just put out their Platinum cards and I just wonder what or why the heck are they buying that stuff....Money without knowledge.....(again AliveAtFive this is not directed at you at all...just a general observation that I see in high end stores....)

In regards to ML playing LOUDLY....I also feel that at very high decibles, older ML's had the tendency to start sounding bad - hard to explain the sound. But with what I heard with the Summits in the large room I listened to them in, I never heard a single bit of this "old type sound" with the Summits when playing at high levels.

The Summit's are MUCH different looking in person than in any of the marketing pictures, brochures, web, etc. etc. In person they are very small, and very nice looking. I was quite surprised myself when I first saw them in person, and I agree they have a nice WAF quotient.

Once you get them home, let us know how things go!!! Lucky Dog!!!

Dan

Last edited:
Again, thanks for the good wishes. I've always viewed this as a friendly forum and I hope future criticism will be constructive.

Big congratulations,

I wish that I could have done the same too. We've 2 MLs dealers in Melbourne (Down Under) and none of them have the Summits for demo. If I had the money I would have
ordered a pair without audition cause I think you guys in this forum have said enough
about them. I remember Kevin mentioned that a dealer in Sydney took orders for the Summits back in Feb. With the price tag of $21,000 Australian dollars I think people
who ordered the Summits must have already owned some MLs products and they also
trust the company. I do.

aliveatfive, Happy listening

/Transpa.

aliveatfive,

I am happy for you. Congrats on a great speaker that should prove to get better as it settles in your home and breaks in. No matter what anyone says based on knowledge, scientific knowledge, conjecture or anything else that comes to mind:eek:, you are the ultimate judge.

If you like them and your wife is happy, it is a win-win. Enjoy them and I am sure that most of us are a bit jealous or envious on two accounts. One you bought them and two your wife agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mazel Tov!!

Jeff :cool:

I guess I am coming in late with this comment but just to remind everyone, we (meaning audiophiles, audio enthusiast, etc) do not make purchasing decisions where logic is the overriding factor. We buy with emotion. It doesn't matter if it is a $300 DVD player or a $7000 receiver. Oh yes it may seem logical to us but to the vast majority of people we are all certifiable!

I didn't realize I'd be starting WWIII when I decided to plunk down the big green!

(Tascam) Well, I am gald some chimed in here. After a recent post of a member saying HE.......... yes, him, his ears not yours, his opinions, and yes his coin, differ from yours. Hey I am not a "high end" guy, my cables don't cost thousands. I am always willing to "listen" to input from those that have been to where I may want (or can afford) to go. That IMO is the value of this site.

Anyhow you pretty much trashed the sound of the Ascent-i compared to the new summits, and then a guy gets hammered for buying summits - go figure. This is a hobby, and yes a passion, and an important ($$$) for almost all of us. I am damm proud of my Ascents-i, for flicks I love my aerius, my Theater, and just in general the overall the sound and quality of the ML products I have had pleasure of owning. As for me, I love my system and sound, the enjoyment pays me back in return other the money, that's why we "enjoy" all this right????

Sorry to blast off, but when you save, postion, listen, and ponder something as much as (most) we do, it's dishearting to hear the "expert" scold us. I am just a simple man, that loves quality sound. Jon

jon7988 said:
......it's dishearting to hear the "expert" scold us.

None of us are experts here. Just a bunch of ML enthusiasts posting their OPINIONS on audio. Some of us may have more experience in the field but again they are OPINIONS and nothing else. Like Jeff says - Our 2 Cents worth.......Sometimes they will steer you in the right direction, sometimes not. Unless the person who is posting is someone who you are familiar with their tastes, likes and dislikes regarding sound reproduction, or else their opinions are a real crap shoot.

jon7988 said:
I didn't realize I'd be starting WWIII when I decided to plunk down the big green!

You did not start anything at all - you made a purchase of the new Summit that you were happy with. Just so happens that one person's opinion differed from yours - that is life on Internet Forums. I would not worry about it at all - just sit back like a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive - that will be the hardest part of all of this!!! When I buy something I want it yesterday not two weeks later :D

Dan

Last edited:
aliveatfive said:

hey aliveatfive, don't worry, just enjoy what most of us here enjoy: music.
You must have been a very good "kid" that Santa would visit you 4 months
before Xmas. Can you tell him that I am a good "kid" too, please.

/Transpar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back