Finally heard (and saw) Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tascam said:
Besides once I divorce you, you aren't going to get to keep those speakers anyway. I will get to keep them along with the house and then I will sell them on EBAY and pocket the cash. You'll get stuck in a small apartment and you'll be listening to $99 Polk speakers.

Oh crap... I let my wife put the entire stereo on her debit card. Does that mean she owns them and not I? Oh wait a minute, I married a European girl. Wiping sweat from my brow. :) :)

European girls rock! Mine is part Swede.

And you don't ask if you can buy something! Just order it and deal with the fallout when the boxes arrive.

tascam said:
Tweeter has a 30 day return policy. They will deliver the speaker, you can set it up which is easy, and break it in. You can return it if you don't like it like I did with the Ascent. It's really too bad that you took it as a personal attack just because I think the Ascent is not a world class speaker and I think it is obsolete in view of the new technology coming from ML. They have a new panel and a new powered bass section. They have been working to improve the Ascent for 3 years! Just because you have a now discontinued product whose value has no dropped considerably, don't take it out on me. It was an OK speaker in it's time. It is now basically gone, everything about the new line is different; panel, bass, style. If you want to believe what you have is current state of the art, go right ahead or maybe just realize that your speaker is just an appliance like a toaster or oven. It can be replaced and is not an extention of you as a person. Tha's why when these stupid american women want to judge a man by his car, it's time to say good-bye to them. You are not your car and not your speaker!!!!!!!!!

Don’t forget Tweeter also has a 1-year up grade policy on speakers. You could buy the Vantage and get back what you paid for them in credit to use on another speaker like the Summit.

new, more money, "better" complex............. Because a product is being discontinued does not mean it's a bad product. Obsolete to whom??? Obsolete to the company that wants to sell their "new improved" stuff!! ML and other companiies have to come up with "new" products, and marketing. Thats how they stay in business. We as consumers fall pretty well for it. Thats not so say they are or are not "better" It's to say it does not always mean it's better!!!

Kinda reminds me of my golfing buddy, Golf equipment companies are notorious for this concept. A few bad rounds and he has the new and "best" clubs now made!! Plays the PRO-V1 ball only, which means it costs him about 5 bucks for every ball he puts in the drink. While I get hit for about 50 cents, And those $3000.00 clubs seem to put alot of 5 buck ball in the water. Last years hottest driver is on the clearence rack in less than a year, with the pro shop, and yes the public turning up their nose at it, go figure.. If they are so improved, why do we need ($$$) to replace them all the time?

So my question: With all of the "new and improved" audio gear and technology out there, WHY do we ultimatly use turntables, vinal, and tube amps, I guess because it's OBSOLETE...........right?? Jon

Last edited:
tascam said:
It's really too bad that you took it as a personal attack just because I think the Ascent is not a world class speaker and I think it is obsolete in view of the new technology coming from ML.

Audiophilia nervosa!!!

Obsolete. Still getting good sound from our obsolete Monoliths. Their sound didn't get noticeably worse with the introduction of Odyssey, Prodigy, Summit. New has never implied better and certainly does not affect the attributes of a previous product.

On the incidentals again - incidentally I'm married to a woman who thinks large speakers and backbreaking amplifiers are a normal part of life. Furniture placement is sorted after the optimal speaker positon has been found.

Kevin

jon7988 said:
new, more money, "better" complex............. Because a product is being discontinued does not mean it's a bad product. Obsolete to whom??? Obsolete to the company that wants to sell their "new improved" stuff!! ML and other companiies have to come up with "new" products, and marketing. Thats how they stay in business. We as consumers fall pretty well for it. Thats not so say they are or are not "better" It's to say it does not always mean it's better!!!

Kinda reminds me of my golfing buddy, Golf equipment companies are notorious for this concept. A few bad rounds and he has the new and "best" clubs now made!! Plays the PRO-V1 ball only, which means it costs him about 5 bucks for every ball he puts in the drink. While I get hit for about 50 cents, And those $3000.00 clubs seem to put alot of 5 buck ball in the water. Last years hottest driver is on the clearence rack in less than a year, with the pro shop, and yes the public turning up their nose at it, go figure.. If they are so improved, why do we need ($$$) to replace them all the time?

So my question: With all of the "new and improved" audio gear and technology out there, WHY do we ultimatly use turntables, vinal, and tube amps, I guess because it's OBSOLETE...........right?? Jon
You are correct. I would not sell something I had that I liked because ML introduced a new product. If I didn't already own something and was shopping like I am now, then I choose to wait and see for the new model.

asindc said:
Tascam,

You mentioned in an earlier post that Tweeter will deliver. I live in the DC suburbs, and they only deliver around here for a $75 fee. The delivery guys are definitely not AV experts, just hired hands. Just curious how they do things where you live.

Anthony
Tweeter delivers here for $40. I wouldn't want anyone else touching my new speakers anyway. I prefer to set it up myself. Most of these audio salesman don't know what they are doing anyway. Just listen to the installations in the stores!!

4 pairs left

As of this minute, ML only has 4 pairs of Ascent i left and the they are gone forever!!!

wrong

DTB300 said:
Mine would. In fact in the past year, I have spent a considerable amount of money on audio equipment and I am "FAR" from wealthy (can you say credit) We have a very good relationship and understand each other very well. It is not a one-sided relationship but an "us" relationship. Not ME, not YOU, but US. Wow...now this thread has gone into relationships...

Dang....not only has Singer burned you, but many a woman too by the sound of this post. Anger manangment is available you know...

Then you are missing out on a great part of life. Yes, we have some folks here who would side with you, but I am going strong on almost 25 years, and plan on another 25+. Finding the right partner takes work, and keeping the right partner take even more. One-sided thinking does not get you very far - just to the local court house.

Good luck on living with yourself, as it is a decision you have made. I don't condeme you, nor do I applaud you - it is your choice to make and not mine. Just like AliveAtFive and his speaker purchase - their decision, not yours, or mine. Be happy for them and their purchase, not degrating and surly.

Why don't you just calm down, take a breath, and give us all a break from your internal anger imparted on all of us here. Geeesshhh....
NO!!! I simply refused to be controlled like a lot of weak men are in this country by demanding feministas who want to control my life and audio purchases. Most of the guys I talk to say they would never marry if they had to do it again. I choose not to spend the last years of my life chained to some old hag who could divorce me at the drop of a hat and take my stuff. Where do you think the term "Wife Acceptance Factor" came from in audio? It came from a bunch of P whipped guys living with controlling women trying to enjoy their audio hobby

Last edited:
tascam said:
NO!!! I simply refused to be controlled like a lot of weak men are in this country by demanding feministas who want to control my life and audio purchases. Most of the guys I talk to say they would never marry if they had to do it again. I choose not to spend the last years of my life chained to some old hag who could divorce me at the drop of a hat and take my stuff. Where do you think the term "Wife Acceptance Factor" came from in audio? It came from a bunch of P whipped guys living with controlling women trying to enjoy their audio hobby

Still on the negative bandwagon kick I see.... You were on the road to recovery with some of your posts, but have taken the road back. And you were doing so well.... :)

Yeah and that "Wife Acceptance Factor" will also give me a mate to socialize with, enjoy music with, enjoy seeing my kids grow up to be fine adults with, talk with through those troubled times with, face and solve problems together, a combined income for all of our luxuries that we have been fortunate to have, stereo included. Like stereo purchases, it is a very long and delicate process for finding the right mate. Make the wrong choice, and you get edgy, grating results - like your story tells. Make the right choice and the music sings pure and delightful for a lifetime. Home auditions also help out :D

Since this is a forum for Martin Logan and music, I will cease to reply back to you concerning your choice of life alone. Enjoy, have fun, and I hope on those lonely nights you are able to find someone to make things better. If not, life can really suck....

Dan

In no particular order since I started this thread:

1. The REASON I bought the Summits was to upgrade from the Ascents.
2. There is no Tweeter anywhere near me. Singer's policies are not unique around here. Singer is the most established and reliable store which will deliver to me.
3. (Most important) My wife never stopped me from a stereo purchase. She knows that it is my major passion (listening to music) besides her. I am not rich but comfortable. Your attitude toward women is, shall we say, strange.

You know it is really too bad that Martin Logan didn't keep the Ascent name. You know, ascent to the summit and all that. it would be nice to be able to tell the speakers position in the line up by the name and not some number.

We could have had departure, journey, ascent then summit or something like that. It would have been cool. Instead we get Vantage. Sounds like cigarrettes to me.

alone with my speakers?

DTB300 said:
Still on the negative bandwagon kick I see.... You were on the road to recovery with some of your posts, but have taken the road back. And you were doing so well.... :)

Yeah and that "Wife Acceptance Factor" will also give me a mate to socialize with, enjoy music with, enjoy seeing my kids grow up to be fine adults with, talk with through those troubled times with, face and solve problems together, a combined income for all of our luxuries that we have been fortunate to have, stereo included. Like stereo purchases, it is a very long and delicate process for finding the right mate. Make the wrong choice, and you get edgy, grating results - like your story tells. Make the right choice and the music sings pure and delightful for a lifetime. Home auditions also help out :D

Since this is a forum for Martin Logan and music, I will cease to reply back to you concerning your choice of life alone. Enjoy, have fun, and I hope on those lonely nights you are able to find someone to make things better. If not, life can really suck....

Dan
First of all, I am not alone. I have plenty of women to hang out with and enjoy my stereo and I am not so lonely and insecure that I need someone around every night. If the woman starts nagging I can throw her out which is not something you can easily do with your wife. Look at the divorce stats plus all the unhappy marriages. There are lots of us who like being single and not being chained to an old hag later on.

[
Yeah and that "Wife Acceptance Factor" will also give me a mate to socialize with, enjoy music with, enjoy seeing my kids grow up to be fine adults with, talk with through those troubled times with, face and solve problems together, a combined income for all of our luxuries that we have been fortunate to have, stereo included.
Dan[/QUOTE]

And that wife can turn around at any time and rape you in divorce court at any time and take your precious Martin Logans away from you. When women get older, you never know what they will do. She could be 75, file for divorce, take all your stuff, and you could be left with nothing including your Summits or whatever speaker you were listening too (Oh, Ah Ascent i, excuse me), or was it the Summit from Andy Singer? The fat slob from NY

tascam said:
NO!!! I simply refused to be controlled like a lot of weak men are in this country by demanding feministas who want to control my life and audio purchases.

One day you will get beyond lust and realise it's all to do with minds meeting. In the meantime could you consider that your rants have much more in common with a controllette than a friendly exchange of views. You doth protest too much.

Kevin

Zip3kx07 said:
Don’t forget Tweeter also has a 1-year up grade policy on speakers. You could buy the Vantage and get back what you paid for them in credit to use on another speaker like the Summit.

Hi,
The only problem here is that at least in my case, the Vantage would likely become the 'new' rear speakers, and the Summits the new fronts...:)

Peter

Thread is closed

Hi guys,

I've closed this thread and ask you to please keep dialog on the site civil and respectful.

Thanks.

Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back