Finally Got My MLs!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhom

Reaction score
Hi All,

Finally purchased my MLs, got a pair of Vantages being delivered next week! I've been listening to MLs on and off for almost 10 years. Loved all of the ML models and enjoyed every opportunity to hear MLs. Had to wait until now to buy a pair.

Thanks for all of your help and comments toward choosing Vantages. I'm glad to be a new member and will let you know how my vintage Krell and ARC gear sound on them.

Can't wait until next week! :music:

Rick

Congrats Rick !! Vantage's and a 'gearhead' to boot (American Muscle I hope), my kind of man !! having ARC in the lineup can't hurt either !

Hi Rick, nice choice! Which speakers will the Vantages replace?

:welcome:

Congrats on the new additions to your familiy. The combination of Krell, ARC and MLs should work well together. I like the Krell stuff but since Krell gear is typically very revealing they demand a good source component.

Hi Rick, nice choice! Which speakers will the Vantages replace?

:welcome:

Hi Ralfar,

The Vantages replace vintage Quad 57 ESLs in my main system and an Infinity Modulus system (the Infinitys are now in my HT setup). I've also had Acoustat X ESLs, Vandersteen 2Cs, and ProAcs in the past.

As you can see, I have been an ESL fan. I love MLs because they represent a great combination of ESL resolution, less HF beaming, the ability to play at higher SPLs than most previous ESL designs, respectable bass, and all at a relatively reasonable price. One added bonus of the Vantages for me is that, because of their powered subwoofers (more than respectable bass), my medium power amplifiers will be sufficient to power them in my listening room.

Thanks!

Rick

Hey Guys and Gals,

The Vantages arrived yesterday as scheduled. Of course I had to hook them up and take them for a test drive! These were a pre-owned pair in mint condition, so they were already broken in. I just ran them with background music during dinner before listening to them.

WOW! Thank all of you Vantage fans that encouraged me. :bowdown:

Much better in my family room than at my (2) regional ML dealers. Physical setup was a breeze. I have been using planar speakers for years and have marked the optimum positions in my room. They sound glorious! Terrific imaging and 3-D soundstage. Other speakers that I have had did this too, but not with the resolution, volume capabilities and absolute freedom from cabinet resonance that these MLs address with ease. Fantastic reproduction of male and female vocalists and choral music (my favorites).

Got to work on adjusting the subwoofer 35 Hz level control. I just tried default "0" and then the full 10(+) and 10(-) dB extremes. I think that I'll need a little (+) compensation in my room and will eventually get this dialed in.

From my limited initial listening, vintage Krell electronics (mine are from the mid/late 80s) appear to be a beautiful match with these Vantages. I'll be switching my tube gear in within the next week or so and let you know what I find (my SP-8 is enroute from ARC after its 20 year checkup; new caps, re-tubed).

I think that I'm in Nirvana...or at least really close! Thanks Everyone!

Rick

Congratulations on your speakers!

What is your assessment on the Logans vs. Quads?

I have never done A-B, but from my memory, the Logans have always sounded more real than anything I have heard. The Quads would be my second choice.

I recently heard the new 10K+ Thiels, and although they had nice detail and integration, it felt like the sound was coming from a narrow box.

Congratulations on your speakers!

What is your assessment on the Logans vs. Quads?

Hi David,

Regarding Quad 57s w/Infinity Modulus subwoofer vs. Vantages, it's a little too early for me to give final comments. At this point, the Vantages will play enormously louder, have much more extension in the high frequency range, have a much larger sweetspot for the listener(s) and have no enclosure vibrations. The MLs also deliver a much bigger image. To me, Quad 57s do not image particularly well. These MLs do.

The Quad/subwoofer combo appears to have more low end impact, but I am still adjusting the Vantage subs so I'm not finished yet. I don't think that the Vantages will win the low end war, though. Eventually, I'll probably use the sub with the Vantages and see what improvements there may be.

The Quads and Vantages are equally fast. I think that MLs have better resolution overall because this resolution is spread over all of the midrange and treble. By comparison, Quads have a fairly limited range of frequencies where they shine. To me, Quads sounded better with tube gear. Will be trying tubes with these MLs soon.

Thanks,

Rick

Congrats, Rick!

Them Vantages are great speakers!

Question, if you had subs hooked with your Quads, why not do the same for the Vantages?

Joey

Congrats, Rick!

Them Vantages are great speakers!

Question, if you had subs hooked with your Quads, why not do the same for the Vantages?

Joey

Hi Joey,

Thanks!

Good question and I do plan on trying the Infinity sub with them. I am hoping that this will not be necessary because the Vantage subs seem to be so well integrated sound-wise with the ESL panels. They really are pretty seamless in my limited listening experience so far. And I have really enjoyed this.

By comparison, the Quad/sub combo had significant issues. Deep low end, yes, but constant need to level-match, sub audibly slower than the Quad panels, and I could usually tell that I was listening to "two systems." My fear is that by introducing yet one more cross-over/driver into the system, the same might happen to the beautiful sound that these MLs are delivering. We'll see. At this point I would be willing to give up a little low end to keep what these speakers are delivering.

Thank you again.

Rick

Hi Joey,

Thanks!

Good question and I do plan on trying the Infinity sub with them. I am hoping that this will not be necessary because the Vantage subs seem to be so well integrated sound-wise with the ESL panels. They really are pretty seamless in my limited listening experience so far. And I have really enjoyed this.

By comparison, the Quad/sub combo had significant issues. Deep low end, yes, but constant need to level-match, sub audibly slower than the Quad panels, and I could usually tell that I was listening to "two systems." My fear is that by introducing yet one more cross-over/driver into the system, the same might happen to the beautiful sound that these MLs are delivering. We'll see. At this point I would be willing to give up a little low end to keep what these speakers are delivering.

Thank you again.

Rick

Rick...

Perhaps the Summits are in your future...? :)

Joey

Rick...

Perhaps the Summits are in your future...? :)

Joey

Hi Joey,

My wife and bank account surely hope not! I think that things will work out. I am really thrilled with what I have been experiencing so far.

Back