Faulty CLS IIZ 20th Anniversary - buy or avoid?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malcesine

Reaction score
hi folks, looking for some advice.
Opportunity possibly knocks to buy a pair of these lovely speakers, but they are sold as seen and one speaker is faulty.
it is described by seller as ‘one of the speakers is producing a static noise in the top right hand side’
I would not be able to afford new panels at $3k+ so hoping for a potential repair rather than replace.
Any thoughts or advice?

Avoid. If it is pre-broken before you even get it, then it is going to be work and money. Keep looking for other used speakers that are fully functional, then you can enjoy right away! :)

thanks for reply spkrdctr
i don’t mind spending a bit of time, money and effort if overall cost is less than buying a good condition used pair - but used CLS in the uk are ultra rare and these ones are local.
Given the fault description, I was naively hoping removing the panels, a thorough wash and clean and they’d be good to go??

Last edited:
I agree - if you can't repanel would avoid them. Any ML of this vintage with original panels will need replacement. I picked up a pair of CLS II with decreased volume out of one panel... Showering did nothing and I replaced the panels.
That being said -they are wonderful speakers for 3 K and just so cool.

I hate to say this. But, in your area in UK, you might just have to look at other brands, if ML are hard to come by at a decent price. Also do not shy away from any of the newer ELS styles as they are very, very good. Especially those that are only 5 to 8 years old. They can easily produce amazing sound. Oh, and also buy a local subwoofer to compliment your system. You will be glad you did.

I hate to say this. But, in your area in UK, you might just have to look at other brands, if ML are hard to come by at a decent price. Also do not shy away from any of the newer ELS styles as they are very, very good. Especially those that are only 5 to 8 years old. They can easily produce amazing sound. Oh, and also buy a local subwoofer to compliment your system. You will be glad you did.
I agree, a Montis or Summit X are great speakers, not a CLS/X but you won't have to deal with old speaker problems and they are more room and amp friendly.
If you don't find them used in UK you can always buy a pair in the US and have them shipped to UK (voltage is not an issue with those models).

Last edited:
Lets start with the price. Does it reflect one speaker being not functioning? If the price is very low, it may be worth your time to try.
If you can't repair it there would probably be a buyer if they are that rare.

If you want them bad, and its just a panel that is bad but the rest of the speaker is ok then it might be worth doing, especially if they are that hard to get in the UK. If you dont have to pay shipping and the price for the speakers is low, id think about buying them. If you cant afford the $3k now for new panels, just hold on to them and buy the panels once you save up the cash. Worst case scenario, you could turn around and sell them to someone else if you dont buy the panels. If you buy them cheap you should be able to unload them if you get cold feet. Id be worried too though that there might be something other than the panel that is bad. It could turn into bad news if other components are bad. If you dont know your way around electronics, you are going to need someone in the area that can help you out.

Oh, and check with Martin Logan to see how much shipping for new panels will be.

Back