Factory Tour

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really appreciate this post. Helps to better understand the speakers design.

I was lucky enough to take a factory tour in 1996 when they were still made in KS and when Gayle was still the top dog (Our group even had dinner at his house!). The old factory seems so "Ghetto" after seeing the newer facility in Canada. But you know what, there was something special about that old factory, the same way a real woodworker's shop or blacksmith's shop exude craftsmanship. Maybe the build quality and fit and finish have improved but I'd take the old ML back any day. Hand built products with some of the best customer service in any industry, such a shame that their focus has been lost on mass produced products.

Look's like lots of handcrafted labor is involved. Just amazing! I do love my Summit Xs! :D

I am actually amazed they allowed this in depth pictorial. When we toured the Kansas facility a few years ago, they allowed no pictures of the manufacturing process. This article is extremely well done and provides a nice overview of their manufacturing process.

Now that answers quite a few questions. Thanks a bunch. Much appreciation for this thread post. This helps understand the tensioning direction/concerns. My wife says I over analyze things, but I am an EE and Etech so that is the nature of the beast.
This begs a few more comments/questions: ML seems to stretch the mylar in the vertical direction on the rear frame/panel, and smooth it in the horizontal direction. This implies that there is only lite tension across the width of the panel. While prepping my panel for further cleaning I noticed the front and rear stator panels separated slightly on the sides as mentioned elsewhere here, but the mylar and foam tape did not seem to shift/move. This makes me a bit more comfortable about reassembly. since the top and bottom are still solid I will not attempt to separate the panel sandwich for fear of loosening the stretch which is apparently held by the double sided sticky 'foam' tape, and top and bottom panel compression. I will reattach the side rails for sandwich compression before I attempt any further cleaning beyond lite vacuuming.

Back