Fabio's System - 1995

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin,

Past American pop culture idol. He was a model / endorser of various products (hair, etc.) if I recall correctly.

Gordon

I'm sensing somewhat negative atmosphere here, I think there must be something good in any person who likes MLs.. :D

Statement

Has anybody heard that speaker (not his)? I spent some time with them in a pretty good room pushed by mono Thresholds. Part of the demo was playing lightning & thunder storms. Blew me away some of the best sound that sticks out in my life. :cool:

Blew me away some of the best sound that sticks out in my life. :cool:

Haven't heard them, but I believe you. I think it is, in part, because of the size of the panels. Just look at them. They are HUGE! I think one of ML's biggest mistakes was going to a smaller, more efficient panel size. While they still sound clean and accurate, they just don't have that big WALL-OF-SOUND impact that the old Prodigy, CLS, Monolith, etc. possessed.

Haven't heard them, but I believe you. I think it is, in part, because of the size of the panels. Just look at them. They are HUGE! I think one of ML's biggest mistakes was going to a smaller, more efficient panel size. While they still sound clean and accurate, they just don't have that big WALL-OF-SOUND impact that the old Prodigy, CLS, Monolith, etc. possessed.

+1 to bigger panels throwing a 'wall of sound' that is impressive. I'm glad I re-paneled my Monoliths in 2006, so I figure I'll use them for another six or so years, as they are just awesome.

Those original Statement speakers are lust-worthy, but require a very big room. Fabios room was big enough, but completely untreated, it seems to me to be a nasty echo chamber, especially with all the energy those statements (plus sides and rears) can put out. No wonder people described it as 'bright', as the ringing in the high-frequencies must have been severe at any level above a whisper.

Unfortunately way to many systems are put together for looks/bragging rights, not for acoustic performance. The featured system is definitely one of them.

+1 to bigger panels throwing a 'wall of sound' that is impressive. I'm glad I re-paneled my Monoliths in 2006, so I figure I'll use them for another six or so years, as they are just awesome.

Yep, your system is one of the one's I was thinking of when I made that statement. I have never heard that kind of sound from ML's before except from your Monoliths and a few Prodigy systems I have heard. My Ascents sound great, but even they cannot duplicate that "wall of sound" experience of a good set of Prodigies or Monoliths. Imagine for a moment . . . the CLX with a high frequency panel the size of an old Prodigy or Monolith panel! Now that would be an awesome speaker, although as you say, it would require a fairly large room to do it justice. Too bad it will likely never happen with the new ML's fascination with smaller speakers.

Yep, your system is one of the one's I was thinking of when I made that statement. I have never heard that kind of sound from ML's before except from your Monoliths and a few Prodigy systems I have heard. My Ascents sound great, but even they cannot duplicate that "wall of sound" experience of a good set of Prodigies or Monoliths. Imagine for a moment . . . the CLX with a high frequency panel the size of an old Prodigy or Monolith panel! Now that would be an awesome speaker, although as you say, it would require a fairly large room to do it justice. Too bad it will likely never happen with the new ML's fascination with smaller speakers.

I highly agree. I have owned Monolith's for 20 years and still have them. I have owned and listened to several other ML and the sound is very small compared to them except for the original CLS. Even the Prodigy speakers sounded somewhat small compared to the Monolith's.

I also subscribed to AVI when this issue came out and was drooling over his system. At that time I had infinity sm150 studio monitors and thought I was bada$$. Then this hobby slowly began and the rest is history.
I totally agree on the panel size issue and the if wall of sound of the older ML speakers... I am using SL 3's p front and scenarion for the rear and just don't thinking could get used to the newer smaller panels even thought they have upgraded crossovers / amps/ electronics that the older ones lacked... I just don't think you can make up for a smaller, slimmer panel size and am also disappointed that ML is trying to shrink all of their new speakers to make them more wife friendly. In the end it is a compromise I think, and the reson my next ML will be a Prodigy instead of the small Montis. Anybody want to sell theirs?
Wth panels - Size Does Matter!

Back