eyes wide shut!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstring

Reaction score
Anyone else think that the image and soundstage sharpen when you listen with your eyes closed? It just blows my mind how the speakers disappear and "puts you there". I listen to 80% live music...it just kills me :D Must be something with the redirection of neurons and such :rolleyes: Now if I could just stop always messing with the toe-in, it would be perfect :)

Eyes wide shut...

gstring said:
Anyone else think that the image and soundstage sharpen when you listen with your eyes closed? It just blows my mind how the speakers disappear and "puts you there". I listen to 80% live music...it just kills me Must be something with the redirection of neurons and such Now if I could just stop always messing with the toe-in, it would be perfect
gstring,

Yeah, the only problem is, I'm usually listening to cool jazz, after a hard day at work... My feet are up, the Logans are singing so sweetly, like you said, 'image' and 'soundstage', yes, but it is so much more for me, more like, 'Sonic Nirvana', to my ears... :D
Anyway, I fall asleep... :eek: I wake up, at two in the morning, and finially go to bed. This doesn't happen all the time... As I only listen to music 20% of the time.

During the 80% of HT, I close my eyes for scary scenes, on scary movie night. Let me tell you, the sound is everywhere, and it's even scarier... :eek:

ML's blend so well, I just love the sound my Logan's make, properly driven, with a excellent sound path gear of course... :D

Cheers

-Robin

I prefer to lower the lights and just look into the semi-darkness. If I close my eyes I tend to relax way too much and end up doing the head-bob thing right before falling asleep. Like you said, everything around tends to disappear and next thing you know you've got musicians in your room.

I often turn off all lights, especially for live music. A nice fringe benefit of a dedicated room (like Joe below, I use front projection in a room where I can turn off all lights). However I then obsess about the brightness of the LEDs in various gear. I'm about to order a new cdp on the condition that its bright LED can be disconnected.

Anyone else who's an enthusiast of flashlights? ;)

Last edited:
gstring said:
Anyone else think that the image and soundstage sharpen when you listen with your eyes closed? It just blows my mind how the speakers disappear and "puts you there". I listen to 80% live music...it just kills me :D Must be something with the redirection of neurons and such :rolleyes: Now if I could just stop always messing with the toe-in, it would be perfect :)

Yes,

That why I want to go front projection, with a 100% light controlled room.

jfm said:
I often turn off all lights, especially for live music. A nice fringe benefit of a dedicated room (like Joe below, I use front projection in a room where I can turn off all lights). However I then obsess about the brightness of the LEDs in various gear. I'm about to order a new cdp on the condition that its bright LED can be disconnected.

Anyone else who's an enthusiast of flashlights? ;)

Hi,
I also enjoy listening in the dark and find the LED's distracting...I use a small square of electrical tape over the offending LED...works fine, it dims them down to nearly nothing, and on black equipment its nearly invisible when the lights are on. I have two flashlights in the listening room, a small 2 AA cell for close work, and a larger 3 D cell for bigger jobs, both are Maglights.

HTH,
Peter

eyes wide shut

jfm: hello. I know this might date me, along with some of my other posts, but here is something you gotta try! After you have selected your best compilation cd or whatever disc does it for you, (and only you know the place you want to go to), take an incense stick and rubber band it to the flashlight in an upright position so the smoke gets caught in the light as it ascends upward and dissipates throughout the room. The aesthetic state is transcendent.
Peter Hogan; can you validate any of my reflective musings? I hope you try this out. Let me know........

Peter - I tried your trick on the bright blue led of my cdp and it works great. thanks! (and btw I would like to have a flashlight like the ones they use in the CSI tv series)

audioraptured - ok I will try that too. thanks!

Jeff - and just to fully date ourselves, do you think we can also try another stick that smokes ;)

Back