Extended warranty

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Prall

Reaction score
As you know, I recently got a pair of Vantage speakers and a Krell 400xi. They have a 5 year warranty and 2 year warranty respectively. The dealer that sold them said that I can extend the speaker warranty to 10 years for $150.00 and the integrated amp warranty to 5 years for $200.00. How seriously should I consider this? Has anyone ever experienced a speaker failure or amplifier failure in normal useage that would make these warranties worth the money? The practical side of me says that I should skip the extended warranty, while the paranoid side of me says get it cause the equipment is very expensive and would be hard to replace. In general.... I usually don't do extended warranties for consumer electronics cause the technology is obsolete faster than they break.... but these are not in the cheap catagory like the average consumer electronic item? Suggestions?

Most electronic equipment failures occur in the first 90 days, so extended warranties are usually a big-profit item for the seller, and poor value for the buyer. It also depends on WHO provides the warranty service, how reputable and likely they are to remain in business for the warranty duration. That being said, as a powered speaker, I suppose the Vantage (and Summit) are more likely than the "average" speaker to fail, and indeed, there are already reports of some Summits and Vantages needing repairs. $150 sounds pretty cheap for additional piece of mind, especially if you plan on keeping them for a while. Is the warranty transferrable to a new owner? Would it cover replacement of the stat panels (I doubt it)?

I don't know anything about the reliability of Krells. My gut feeling is the $200 would bring more value invested in music or other system upgrades.

sleepysurf said:
Most electronic equipment failures occur in the first 90 days, so extended warranties are usually a big-profit item for the seller, and poor value for the buyer. It also depends on WHO provides the warranty service, how reputable and likely they are to remain in business for the warranty duration. That being said, as a powered speaker, I suppose the Vantage (and Summit) are more likely than the "average" speaker to fail, and indeed, there are already reports of some Summits and Vantages needing repairs. $150 sounds pretty cheap for additional piece of mind, especially if you plan on keeping them for a while. Is the warranty transferrable to a new owner? Would it cover replacement of the stat panels (I doubt it)?

I don't know anything about the reliability of Krells. My gut feeling is the $200 would bring more value invested in music or other system upgrades.

100% agree.

Agree as well, bsides I got a gut feeling you'll grow tired of the Krell before the warranty expires anyway.

The key as mentioned earlier is: will it cover replacing the panels? (this may be totally disclaimed or pro-rated as normal wear-and-tear). Based on earlier panel discussions, ten years sounds about right for needing a replacement. $150 is bound to be cheaper than the going rate, which in today's dollars is around US$600+.

It might be worth it to persue whether panel replacement would be covered, and under what circumstances, but I'm guessing the view of the warranty company will be "Is there sound coming out of the panels? Then they're good." ;)

Dave, what about the Krell makes you believe I will want to change it soon? You sound like the voice of experience. :) Still the concensus seems to be to skip the warranty on the Krell...... that's funny cause I was thinking it would be more likely to fail than the speakers..... hehe

I'll ask about warranty transferability too... But doesn't ML say the warranty is only good for the original owner? If that's true, then the aftermarket one probably uses the same rules for the speaker you think?

Last edited:
One thing to ask also is if it covers power surge under their extended warranty. Sunfire was nice enough to cover lightning under their warranty but most manufacturers don't. I live in Houston and our weather is godawful. Power surge got through my surge protectors and dealing with all the paperwork from Monster and Belkin was a real headache.

David Prall said:
It might be worth it to persue whether panel replacement would be covered, and under what circumstances, but I'm guessing the view of the warranty company will be "Is there sound coming out of the panels? Then they're good." ;)

Dave, what about the Krell makes you believe I will want to change it soon?

Dave, If I am speaking of the correct Krell (integrated digital piece), it originally wowed me when I first heard it but felt it by no means did the Logans justice. I have since met two people that have made the change away from it in less than six months.

On the other hand if it continues to satisfy YOU, thats all that counts !!

Back