Expect New ML Speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matten Logan

Reaction score
I know some expected for ML to release new speakers a CEDIA, but I dont think anything new will be brought forth. I sell ML's and I spoke with my rep about new products. He wouldn't reveal much, but heres what we can expect.
1. Clarity i
2. An ESL version of the Mosaic
3. Depth i
4. Fully flush mounted in ceiling speakers
5. A new ESL center to be part of the design series.

Nothing really great for the xstat category, but some great, lower price point speakers and possibly the most affordable ESL panel on the market. This just means that more poeple who wouldnt get to appreciate the joy of electrostat can now afford to.
BTW, He gave a cool ML pen which I promptly put on display next to my vantages.

Well, that's good news. I was getting worried about having just gone through the wife hassles buying the Summits, I would have to start all over again for the next model up!

edwinr said:
Well, that's good news. I was getting worried about having just gone through the wife hassles buying the Summits, I would have to start all over again for the next model up!
There is a setup model from the summit in the works, but I dont think we will see anything on it till late 2007-2008.

Matten Logan said:
1. Clarity i
2. An ESL version of the Mosaic
I am confused? Isn’t the clarity the mosaic, just without the ESL panel? The mosaic and clarity share the same base. If you added an ESL to the mosaic you would have the clarity, would you not?

from what i gathered that my rep told me, there will be an upgraded version of the clarity called the clarityi. The mosaic will not be the clarity, but a completely redesigned speaker with a smaller esl panel than the clarity. Its not going to sound as good, but it will bring the price point down and make an actual esl very affordable where once to get ML at such a price you had to get atf drivers. ML just wants to target a wider audience and probably is aiming at the home theater market rather than 2CH superiority.

Matten Logan said:
from what i gathered that my rep told me, there will be an upgraded version of the clarity called the clarityi. The mosaic will not be the clarity, but a completely redesigned speaker with a smaller esl panel than the clarity. Its not going to sound as good, but it will bring the price point down and make an actual esl very affordable where once to get ML at such a price you had to get atf drivers. ML just wants to target a wider audience and probably is aiming at the home theater market rather than 2CH superiority.
I own Ascent "eyes". I hate the lowercase "eye" naming scheme - it makes it hard to type the name in a readable plural form without it looking like "izz". Call them the the "plus" or Series II, or something else...

yep, i was debating the spelling scheme for the upgraded model. the 'i' or 'eye' as you cleverly point out is rather obnoxious

Good news

The Clarity is seriously long in the tooth and way overdue to be refreshed or replaced. I hope the Clarity I is a serious improvement. I would like to see ML being more aggressive in this price point.

Also, and I don't know this, and am interested if anyone has any information, but I understand the Mosaic and Montage sales aren't that impressive.

A refresh of these products would be a very good thing.

-M

I disagree that the speaker needs to be replaced soley because of age. This is the old planned obsolecense strategy that drives so many industries including audio. Wilson audio comes to mind with now eight versions of the Watt-Puppy at double the original price. Its also a good example of how new models depreciate the resale value of older models of the same speaker. You can listen to ten year old Logans that still sound wonderful and competitive with any models made today. The Clarity is a fine speaker at its price point, and I am sure that the incremental improvements reflected in the new i model will result in nice improvement in sound quality, just as the Aeon was an incremental but important improvement over the Aerius.

attyonline said:
I disagree that the speaker needs to be replaced soley because of age. This is the old planned obsolecense strategy that drives so many industries including audio. Wilson audio comes to mind with now eight versions of the Watt-Puppy at double the original price. Its also a good example of how new models depreciate the resale value of older models of the same speaker. You can listen to ten year old Logans that still sound wonderful and competitive with any models made today. The Clarity is a fine speaker at its price point, and I am sure that the incremental improvements reflected in the new i model will result in nice improvement in sound quality, just as the Aeon was an incremental but important improvement over the Aerius.

Atty, good points.

And in this day and age of easy information exchanges on the internet (e.g. this site) the used value of high-end goods is preserved a lot better.
Witness the ease (well, other than shipping) with which one can obtain a nice used set of ML’s these days.

This increase in footprint for a company’s product over time can lead to increases in sales for new product, as people are converted by owners vs sales people, and by the increased retained value due to a national/international re-sale channel for the older models.

Obsoleting a product that is perfectly fine in its current incarnation for little or no improvement in user perceived benefits is silly. Incremental improvements (such as the i series) is welcome, as they update a model at the same price point.

If used Logans retain their value well, then the decision to buy new is easier, as you know you won’t take a both on depreciation.

For instance, I bought a Logos in ’95 for $1750, and sold it in 2006 for $1000. That’s only $68/year for a great center channel. Would I buy an ML again? You betcha.

The problem is, I updated the panels on my Monoliths (and tuned other stuff) and really don’t feel compelled to run out and get the latest-greatest ML, because what I have is as good or better. However, I’m fiercely loyal to the brand and an avid advocate of it. I’m likely responsible for at least six or so sales of new ML’s that I’m aware of. So in the long-run, it pays off for a vendor to hold steady and do the right thing by their customers.

Planned obolescence can backfire. We see it all the time with the proliferation of new models from many manufacturers. Nothing gets me cranky more than when I have just bought something brand new, and then a year or so later, it's superseded. The result from this is not me wanting to buy the updated model, and in some cases, changing brands. At least with Martin Logan and Klipsch, to name a couple of respectable manufacturers, we have some reasonable longevity in the various models. I enjoy the feeling that even 2 or 3 years later, I can say about my speakers - they're still a current model.

It's a pity there is no replacement planned yet for the Script i... :( To me, this would be the biggest news.

I need wall-mountable surround speakers! :eek:

garmtz said:
It's a pity there is no replacement planned yet for the Script i... :( To me, this would be the biggest news.

I need wall-mountable surround speakers! :eek:

Weren't they releasing a Script i with XSTAT technology? What don't you like about the Script i? :confused:

wink said:
Weren't they releasing a Script i with XSTAT technology? What don't you like about the Script i? :confused:

I got a negative advice from the French distributor to invest in the Script i, as it was about to be phased out. So I am postponing an investment in surround speakers now. If a Script with Xstat would be developed, great! But I haven't heard of such a beast yet, only rumour.

garmtz said:
I got a negative advice from the French distributor to invest in the Script i, as it was about to be phased out. So I am postponing an investment in surround speakers now. If a Script with Xstat would be developed, great! But I haven't heard of such a beast yet, only rumour.

I just heard that as a rumor also, but sounded very plausable. I bought a pair for surrounds a couple of months ago and I am extremely pleased with them. Other than having a heck of a time getting a pair, as there is a big demand, they've worked great. The wall mounts are fantastic, although I wish they would come up with a floor stand for them for my side axis channels. I'm going to get a pair of clarity's for the side's instead, same panel's as the Script (eyes).

Dan

Back