Eureka!!! I Did It!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
YES!!

You guys were right, it was all about placement! I finally found my ideal placement... imaging is where I want it to be! It is solid and etched. Almost as good as the Beryllium tweeter but more natural sounding.

I just wanted to let you guys know, placement is critical and even though I measured and remeasured, I found that my previous placement was not ideal for my room.... too much waves clashing. My previous placement was 1/3 toed in, now its more like 2/3 toed in and it is really really good sounding!

Vocal focus has been improved! Everything is where it should be, I think. I'm glad I played with the positioning.... the Vantage positioning was just like this, but it didnt sound this good.... perhaps positioning also has something to do with the speaker in question - different speakers, different optimal positionings.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, everybody!

I will be looking at a new amp soon.... post-Boards Exam...

Thanks all!

:D

Last edited:
Stick with us young Padawan, we will make you a Jedi, yet.

NOW GET GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR and give me 50!

:D :p

Joey_V said:
YES!!

You guys were right, it was all about placement! I finally found my ideal placement... imaging is where I want it to be! It is solid and etched. Almost as good as the Beryllium tweeter but more natural sounding.

I just wanted to let you guys know, placement is critical and even though I measured and remeasured, I found that my previous placement was not ideal for my room.... too much waves clashing. My previous placement was 1/3 toed in, now its more like 2/3 toed in and it is really really good sounding!

Vocal focus has been improved! Everything is where it should be, I think. I'm glad I played with the positioning.... the Vantage positioning was just like this, but it didnt sound this good.... perhaps positioning also has something to do with the speaker in question - different speakers, different optimal positionings.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, everybody!

I will be looking at a new amp soon.... post-Boards Exam...

Thanks all!

:D

Hola Joe...welcome to the clan...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Eureka!

Joey,

"Eureka I Found It!", is the official California State Motto. Now, Joey you can say the same think. :D

Funny hobby we have... It's fun to see another person discover what makes us truly happy. :D

Eureka!!! I Did It!!!
I initially thought you vacuumed your dorm room.

Through trial and error I came to the conclusion that speaker placement in the room and room acoustics do have a large impact on the overall sound, regardless of the system.

Very true guys.... been in this hobby for the good part of my college and graduate school career - over 6 years now - and I still learn more everyday.

I thought that by following the manual, I could achieve perfect positioning... I even measured to the last half centimeter!

What I found out is that these dipole speakers are so interactive with the room, it's nuts! The slightest change in positioning can change the speaker's tonal characteristics immensely - and I'm not exaggerating.

Some of you guys should play with your placements too.... I was just fidgety one day and I tried to find a flaw in my speakers and I ended up remedying it via a 1/3 more aggressive toe in. I'm sure some of you guys will find a placement that is better than your current placements - as good as you think they are now. Just a thought. ;)

I've owned about a dozen and a half speakers - from Sonus Faber to Polk LSi to Axioms to Onix Reference to BW and more - yet these MLs amaze me in how such a slight placement change can alter the sound for good or for bad... I never experienced this sort of placement dependence from the other speakers... I wasnt able to tell this degree of a difference with positioning/toe-in with the conventional speakers. It must be the dipole talking.

Either way, it's better now.

Joey_V said:
Very true guys.... been in this hobby for the good part of my college and graduate school career - over 6 years now - and I still learn more everyday.

I've owned about a dozen and a half speakers - from Sonus Faber to Polk LSi to Axioms to Onix Reference to BW and more -

...in six years, eighteen speakers!!!! There are people who can help you Joey - people wearing white coats. :D

Relax, kickback and listen to some music.

Kevin

kwr said:
...in six years, eighteen speakers!!!! There are people who can help you Joey - people wearing white coats. :D

Relax, kickback and listen to some music.

Kevin

But I wear a white coat.... :(

Joey_V said:
I thought that by following the manual, I could achieve perfect positioning... I even measured to the last half centimeter!

What I found out is that these dipole speakers are so interactive with the room, it's nuts! The slightest change in positioning can change the speaker's tonal characteristics immensely - and I'm not exaggerating.
Joey...nice to see you have found better placement. Do not be concerned about exact distances of each speaker as the room can make them different. Just keep playing around with position, like you have, and find the optimum placement for your listening tastes. For me, I prefer less (if any) toe-in just like Roberto.

Now play around with forward/backward tilt of the speaker and find another whole new world of adjustments :D

Dan

Last edited:
Curious Joey,what did the Axioms sound like compared to other speakers? There is alot of hype about these speakers.

Toe in / Toe out - Frontward / Backward tilt adjustments...

Joey,

Playing around with your Summit placement sound wonderfully fun indeed... :D :D I was just sitting here wondering if their is any way we can all see what you've been up to with your beautiful Summit system?

Amishdonkey

kwr said:
Be afraid. Be very very afraid.

Kevin :eek:
Hey Kevin,

Are you a amishdonkey.com fan. I think you might be. If any of you want a good laugh, check out the website and play "Singing Bass" first and "End of the World" second. Click on "more funnies" at the bottom of the home page.

Caveat emptor (buyer beware)!!!! Certain words / choices may be offensive to certain ears. This is not a website for those of "gentle" persuasion. Could be classified at the upper end of vulgar for some individuals.

Gordon

Back