Ethos sound issues

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purdey

Reaction score
Hi my Ethos are sounding 'flat'pretty much all bass hardly any mid or highs, local dealer tech saying may need to change panels. Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue

contact martin logan for some reason ur panels are not working. they will run u thru some tests

Hola Purdey,

Khen is giving to you the best advice. It looks that your panels are not working right. If the panels were totally dead, then the culprit is the PSU (power supply unit), but it looks that you are still getting sound from the stat panels. Contact ML about your problem, they will guide you step by step of how to track the problem.

Usually the problem is at only one speakers, but yours looks to be both stat panels. You can do the washing procedure of the stat panels. Usually the panels come back to sing again after the washing. Here is how to do that: Martin Logan Shower Cleaning PDF

Happy listening!

Hi Khen/Roberto, thank u for your prompt responses, reached out to ML support n as a 1st step have been advised to vacuum speakers, so let's see if that works...

Vacuum didn't work ML support responded that panels need to be replaced. How are ML/ their dealers, on warranty claims, had picked the speakers in oct 2018?

Vacuum didn't work ML support responded that panels need to be replaced. How are ML/ their dealers, on warranty claims, had picked the speakers in oct 2018?
I had my depth i sub serviced under warranty at my dealer and everything went well with that. It was actually in 2x.

Before you do anything drastic, first try to unplug all power and cables and then plug all back in and make certain that you have strong / solid / tight connections from beginning to end of electricity and signal paths and also check to see if the little blue light “dot” is on in front of speaker.
This same exact thing happens to me from time and time and it always ends up being because either the electric IEM plug to wall or one of the speaker cables at one of the ends becomes a little loose or displaced.
it really could be that simple !

I have found these to be particularly helpful in keeping heavy IEC320 C13 power cords tightly in place...

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Secure-Sleeve-Pieces/dp/B00KGERF1W
I can't say that I have ever had any problems keeping my C13's in place, but I did check out your Amazon link. Maybe I'm really slow, but can you help me understand exactly what these are supposed to do? Do the two little tabs help wedge the C13 into the C14? If not, I have no clue how these work... :confused:

I can't say that I have ever had any problems keeping my C13's in place, but I did check out your Amazon link. Maybe I'm really slow, but can you help me understand exactly what these are supposed to do? Do the two little tabs help wedge the C13 into the C14? If not, I have no clue how these work... :confused:

They are a sleeve that fits over the male connector and makes the fit tighter going into the female socket. ;) I have not figured out what the tabs are either. I have had heavy power cords start to pull out of a socket particularly if the cords are long and/or elevated.

Speakers are working again. Had sent them to local dealer, seems to be a problem in the power amp. Will play them for a few days, n hope all ok. Thank you all for your guidance again🙏

Hola Purdey,

Thanks for the updated. Power amps? Very strange, you claim that the problem was at the stat panels, the digital built in power amplifier drives only the woofer. Well, it does not matters, the good thing is that they are singing again!
Enjoy them!
Happy listening!

Not surprised that it was the power amp module. I had a similar issue a few years ago. I would have chimed in earlier, but I could not locate any of the details.

Back