Esl x vs esl

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ESL X will have a more dynamic range capability and deeper bass. Just make sure you can bring the speakers off the front wall at least a foot (more is ALWAYS better with electrostats of course). The lower you can crossover the woofer section, the more the panel is contributing to the lower midrange/upper bass tones like male vocals, piano, tenor sax, etc. The larger the panel, the lower it can play, which is ideal.

@RAH, I'm not sure what amplifier power you are using or the size and characteristics of your too, but as you can see in my REW plots, the base is not overwhelming not is it boomy in my LR. I have used anywhere from the Martin Logan Forte amplifier (50W per channel) to the MiniDSP 450W mono blocks and even the 50W/ch sounded good and had no trouble driving to 85-87db levels. Of course the more powerful amps can drive it much louder and with greater dynamic range. The reason even a low power amp can drive these speakers is because there is very little music energy at 20KHz. and what is there is not there for any length of time. Unless you feed it a constant sine wave at 20KHz the 50W amp drives the speaker just fine.
I deploy Anthem str integrated. Excessive base occurred after 3 years of using Classic 9.

I'd certainly use ARC below 500hz to even out the bass peaks in your room. If not, why even buy a preamp with that capability?

I'd certainly use ARC below 500hz to even out the bass peaks in your room. If not, why even buy a preamp with that capability?

Not allowed to hijack this thread. Last time i reply.

Hardly any room for choice. From three brands this was best. Recommended by an expert.

ARC has not given me good results. May try ARC once again.

Not allowed to hijack this thread. Last time i reply.

Hardly any room for choice. From three brands this was best. Recommended by an expert.

ARC has not given me good results. May try ARC once again.
I tried room correction that’s part of my NAD preamp, the results were very unsatisfactory BUT I’ve been told the better approach can be to use just one sample location, your sweet spot for listening because the ESL’s are so focused on sound and trying to sample sound in other locations will just confuse the ARC.
i e some other issues I’m working thru with my speakers but once resolved I will try again.

I tried room correction that’s part of my NAD preamp, the results were very unsatisfactory BUT I’ve been told the better approach can be to use just one sample location, your sweet spot for listening because the ESL’s are so focused on sound and trying to sample sound in other locations will just confuse the ARC.
i e some other issues I’m working thru with my speakers but once resolved I will try again.

All samples at one listening spot not recommended by ARC. However will try. Thanks.

@RAH, I'm not sure what amplifier power you are using or the size and characteristics of your too, but as you can see in my REW plots, the base is not overwhelming not is it boomy in my LR. I have used anywhere from the Martin Logan Forte amplifier (50W per channel) to the MiniDSP 450W mono blocks and even the 50W/ch sounded good and had no trouble driving to 85-87db levels. Of course the more powerful amps can drive it much louder and with greater dynamic range. The reason even a low power amp can drive these speakers is because there is very little music energy at 20KHz. and what is there is not there for any length of time. Unless you feed it a constant sine wave at 20KHz the 50W amp drives the speaker just fine.

Your statement about bass not being too loud and boomy is accurate.

I fixed problem of too much and booming bass. I was using the wrong specification power cable with my STR amp. I changed to power cable supplied with STR amp and everything was back to normal. I have 20 separate wires connecting electronic equipment.

Perhaps not ground MCA 225 and STR. Now i have attached ground wire to both.

I apologize for creating confusion and inconvenience.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm ready now to upgrade ESL 8 to 9a. Can you please describe what you like by going up to 9a?

Thanks!
I went from ESL to Classic 9 and it’s a world different. Much stronger low and mid range and the speaker sweet spot isn’t as narrow.

I went from ESL to Classic 9 and it’s a world different. Much stronger low and mid range and the speaker sweet spot isn’t as narrow.
Is imaging more solid as I notice this when I heard esl-x at dealer. He doesn't have 9a. Hi World reviews says it's a bit brighter what are your thoughts? Is the integration with woofer and panel same excellence as the little ESL?

EVERYTHING about it is better. I have a small room so using sound absorption behind panels and at first reflection points on the sides but the soundstage is amazing, broader than the footprint of the speakers. Bass because you have two woofers is far better, but I also have a B&W sub which gives the low end another dimension. I bought my 9’s used, worth every penny.

Every time you go up in the ESL range, it just keeps getting better. The bigger the panel, the more effortless and dynamic the music sounds. Not to mention going up in woofer size, quality and cabinet area. I have ESL 11s and I absolutely love them vs the 9s, but when I demo the ESL 13s and 15s in the proper sized room, the larger one's sound unquestionably better.

Every time you go up in the ESL range, it just keeps getting better. The bigger the panel, the more effortless and dynamic the music sounds. Not to mention going up in woofer size, quality and cabinet area. I have ESL 11s and I absolutely love them vs the 9s, but when I demo the ESL 13s and 15s in the proper sized room, the larger one's sound unquestionably better.
Completely agree, I’ve a friend with 13‘s in a large room with lots of acoustic treatment, it’s stunning.
my recommendation is buy the largest panels you can afford AND will do justice to your room. I’d love 11A’s but they’d be overkill for my small space. So really you can go too big (defeating the benefit of the added expense), but also you gotta have appropriate gear to drive them…..and on it goes!

Absolutely agree. There is such a thing as too much speaker in a room. Especially when it comes to dipole speakers that need to be off the wall a few feet. The 11s are fine for my 15ftx19ftX10ft bonus room and I suspect the 13s would be comfortable there too, but budget always has a big say in the decision too.

Latest posts

Back