ESL no sound

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassdaze

Reaction score
I noticed that there is no sound coming from the upper section (the electrostatic part) on my right speaker only. The bottom speaker seems to be ok. I have isolated the problem to that speaker by switching the left and right inputs to the amplifier. I haven't contacted Martin Logan yet, I wanted to make sure there wasn't an easy solution first - although I can't imagine one.
Has anyone else here had a similar problem?

• Martin Logan ESL satin black tower speakers
  • Martin Logan ESL C center speaker
  • M & K Satellite 1B surround speakers
  • DIY subwoofer
  • Integra DHC9.9 preamp/video processor
  • Emotiva XPA-3 3 channel power amp
  • Oppo Blu-ray player

If bottom is playing then ESL is also receiving input...

You could swap the wallwarts (or power cable?) L to R to rule those out. Is indicator light coming on? Try turning the volume up a bit to check if the Music Sensor is lazy.
Otherwise you will need to swap panels, I assume, but I don't know the 'ESL' model all that well. ML are very helpful so give them a ring.

It happened to me too. If the LED power light is on, at the speaker binding posts, it might be a loose wire on the power supply. Open up the suspect speaker. Double-check the various connections going to the power supply. If one is off/loose, the woofer will play through it's standard crossover connections, but the panel won't. It has to receive it's AC power first.

Now, if the rear LED isn't on, you could have a defective power adapter, or a dead internal power supply. Swap power adapters, to make sure the LED will turn on with another adapter? If not, the power supply is likely suspect. The last time I ordered one, it cost $95.00 US. Fairly easy to swap out.

Check in with Ron. He'll take care of you.

service @martinlogan.com

Good luck

Last edited:
I noticed that there is no sound coming from the upper section (the electrostatic part) on my right speaker only. The bottom speaker seems to be ok. I have isolated the problem to that speaker by switching the left and right inputs to the amplifier. I haven't contacted Martin Logan yet, I wanted to make sure there wasn't an easy solution first - although I can't imagine one.
Has anyone else here had a similar problem?

• Martin Logan ESL satin black tower speakers
  • Martin Logan ESL C center speaker
  • M & K Satellite 1B surround speakers
  • DIY subwoofer
  • Integra DHC9.9 preamp/video processor
  • Emotiva XPA-3 3 channel power amp
  • Oppo Blu-ray player
Hello, any updates?

Hello, any updates?
Check if the panel has slipped down. This is a common cause for no sound from the electrostatic part, while there is sound from the woofer. Contact ML service. They will tell you how to fix the problem (no-cost, if my diagnosis is right.)

Back