ESL Center when will it be released?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Darrylp

As a potential ML owner I cannot progress until the new ESL centers are released.

Do ML historically release new speakers quickly after indicating they're imminent and does anybody have an idea of when these may be available?

Thanks

Darryl

What little information is known right now, the theater center channel is discontinued and it’s replacement will be the stage. The stage should be out between May and June; Martin Logan does not typically add a new speaker to their web site until the product has ship and at dealers for sale. The cinema center is remaining in the line up for the time being, it is unknown what will replace the cinema and when.

The fact that it's predecessor is discontinued is usually a good indication that the new model is just around the corner.

Interestingly our rep said that the Theater is back in production....

so the Stage could be off yet....

Again.

Thanks but now I don't know whether to wait or look seriously at Focal.JMLab Utopia Be (Theatre is too large to accommodate)!

Darryl

Darrylp said:
Thanks but now I don't know whether to wait or look seriously at Focal.JMLab Utopia Be (Theatre is too large to accommodate)!

Darryl
Hola Darryl...with all respect, did you have a chance to listen the Fresco model from ML? Is is an inexpensive speaker, and for center channel it is great. One of the best that I had heard on the market. I have a customer with one Focal, and I took my Fresco to listen how big difference in quality might be, and I got a very good respect from the performance of the Fresco...of course, Focal with such kind of nice wood is very nice, but I´m talking about sound quality...both are great!!!...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Darrylp said:
Thanks Roberto

Please look at the comments on this thread and that's why I'm considering Focal.FMLab

http://tinyurl.com/pwg6b

Darryl
Hola Darryl...with all respect, it is his opinion, and not necessary yours or mine. I think that the Teather i is a marvellous center channel and one of the best on the marketplace. I wonder why, if it was so bad as he mentioned, was claimed speaker of the year some time ago. There are a lot of work in designing and building a center channel like the Teather and the research took over two years at the bench work. Every sound is a matter of taste, and what I like not necessary must be your liking or his, but these does not means that the speaker is that bad as he claimed there. To my ears, I do understand the dialogue better through the Teather than the Focals. But these are the only ears that I have, and they are telling me this. Listen to both again, without thinking of any of us, just your taste and liking and choose the one that you like most. Trust in your ears (I hate to say this so often) but it is the only truly tool that we have. I can have a lot of electronic tools around with great measurements, but my feet don´t tap. Gee, tough decision. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Darryl,
Welcome. I may be mistaken but the person in the AVS thread

that is knocking the Theatre was actually banned from this site,not

for his opinions on the speaker but for his abusive nature. If you can get a

Theatre at a good discount you will not regret it.

I replied to his trolling remarks this morning on the AVS forum. It's sounds like he just not easily satisfied with anything? :rolleyes:

... or perhaps he craves major attention, and the forums are the only place he gets it!!!!

Munster said:
Darryl,
Welcome. I may be mistaken but the person in the AVS thread

that is knocking the Theatre was actually banned from this site,not

for his opinions on the speaker but for his abusive nature. If you can get a

Theatre at a good discount you will not regret it.

No, your not mistaken, that’s our old buddy Kevin. :rolleyes:

Who is Kevin?

Zip3kx07 said:
No, your not mistaken, that’s our old buddy Kevin. :rolleyes:
Joe,

Who are you talking about? :confused: Is this guy, Kevin a deranged former member? He must have been banned for a good reason, correct? :confused:

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I cannot get a Theatre new or used but the importer has managed to locate a new Cinema i for me.

I should also have said earlier this system is used 100% for HT and never ever for music.

I do however have a potential problem ie can the Cinema i be located in a cabinet?

I'm worried about the effect of the dipole output in a cabinet.

Darryl

Darrylp said:
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I cannot get a Theatre new or used but the importer has managed to locate a new Cinema i for me.

I should also have said earlier this system is used 100% for HT and never ever for music.

I do however have a potential problem ie can the Cinema i be located in a cabinet?

I'm worried about the effect of the dipole output in a cabinet.

Darryl
Hola Darryl. I have several customers that uses a cabinet with the Cinema i without any problem. The dialog is clear and clean. Try it before you buy it. Be sure that that`s what you want! The Cinema i is another ML model that has all the research and benefits of ML sound. It is good to know that you did find one in your area. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Thanks Roberto

As soon as I've tried it I'll post the results here.

Regards

Darryl

I have a cinema I with my Vantage speakers. I put the speaker on the ceiling near the front wall above my plasma and hid the wires under some aurelex I was using to tweak the room.

Alignment of this speaker is critical. I used a laser pointer to point the top at the forhead and bottom at the throat of a seated listener.

I cross over at 120 hz to take advantage of the better bass in the Vantage.

DVDs sound great in 5.1 or 7.1 in this system. Timbre is fairly close where it needs to be and the sound stage sounds uniform with voices clear and distinct as one poans from left to right.

I would worry that a cabinet might rattle a bit.

Joel

Thanks Joel but what happens with multiple viewers sitting three in a row?

Darryl

Further explanation of my setup:

I'm using front projection onto a 120" screen, Meridian G68 pre and a Plinius Odeon amp.

All my equipment is in a custom cabinet on a rack and the center speaker (along side the rack) slides out from the cabinet so that the front of the speaker lines up exactly with the bottom edge of the screen.

I've got the front and two sides walls fully treated and if necessary I could have sound treatment installed in the cabinet and directly behind the center speaker.

Darryl

Vertical alignment is critical but there is a 30 degree horizontal sweep from center so 3-4 people will be no problem. That is what we do on our couch.

I also use a screen for DVDs. The speaker is in front (on the ceiling) of the plasma but directly above the pull up screen when we use it. The Lexicon DC-1 I use has appropriate delays for all the speakers so critical spatial alignment is not as important in terms of distance to the listener. If you want to watch standing, there would be an issue for my system.

Your system sounds really nice.

Joel

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back