ESL C center low freq cutoff

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnyjax

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if Martin Logan ESL-C center channel have low freq cutoff? Because I will set this center as large with dedicated subwoofer just for this center speaker. but I am using the ESL-C natural low freq roll off. I am worried if the ESL-C do not have low freq cutoff, it might blown the driver. thank you

Specs only rate it to 60hz. I would think “small” and an 80hz (or maybe 60hz) crossover would be best personally.

If I were you I'd contact Martin Logan and ask them. You have the Focus? I have it too but don't have a sub running off the center channel line.

Late last year contacting ML was easy through email. He was really fast to get back to me. They weren't taking phone calls back then.

does anyone know if Martin Logan ESL-C center channel have low freq cutoff?
No, it does not. It has a natural roll-off at 60Hz. But I would NOT feed it anything below 80Hz or even 90Hz, as that would keep it playing cleaner. So set to 'small' and raise the XO to 90Hz if the auto-calibration sets it lower.
As a point of comparison, my monster center (with a line array of 7" woofers that is flat down to 40Hz) is crossed over at 80Hz.

Rather than adding a sub on the center, better to use additional subs to manage room modes using the regular sub output(s) from the processor.
If you only have 2 subs, one placed right below the center speaker and one on the wall opposite (the back wall) is a good starting place.
If you have 4 subs, then middle of the side-walls would be where the other 2 would go.
Ideally, your processor sets independent delays for two sub outs. If only a single output, then use a miniDSP HD to adjust delays and some pre-room correction EQ.

My new one sounds superb at 80 or 90 HZ. Audyssey set it at 60 HZ, but I raised it manually. Can't remember the exact setting.

Back