Quantcast

Equipment Reviews

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

aliveatfive

Reaction score
Tom -

Just an idea: how about a permanent thread for posting reviews of equipment. Perhaps we could have a database of posted reviews (our own) which could be used as a reference for those of us who might be interested in purchasing new components. The database might include ML speakers and other compnents which we own or have heard. What do you guys think? If you'd like, I'd be ready to post my opinion of my new ARC PH 7 phono preamp.

Craig

Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. I'm currently auditioning an Art Audio Carissa Integrated 845 Tube amp (16w per) with optional volume control driving a pair of Summits and will gladly post a review with photos. By the way, it sounds beautiful.

tonyc

Reaction score
aliveatfive, I am anxious to hear your thoughts on the new arc phonostage. I am currently using the arc PH5 with my Ref 3.

MiTT

Super User
Reaction score
Yes, I'd be interested in that as well...

Folks are always asking things like, "What amp should I use with my SL-3's?" or "Has anyone heard the new so and so?"

Sounds like a great idea and a lot of fun!

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm. that is a good idea, but it could create alot of work for me policing the posts - just as this post was posted in the Main Discussion forum and should've been in the Suggestion Box / Site Q&A forum (I moved it here).

Let me mull this over... Any other comments/suggestions regarding this idea? good/bad? Let's hear your thoughts.

Tom.

Joey_V

Reaction score
It would be nice to put a forum for reviews.... not a thread. A thread will either get too discombobulated as people will post regarding a review on the thread and then another review pops up and some people may still be talking about the review prior.... itll be a mess.

However, if there was a review forum, that would be a lot a better I think.

lugano

Reaction score
+46° 1' 26.41", +8° 57' 5.40" (Switzerland)
hmmm....

I think we should keep in mind some aspects:

1) Poor TomDac should not get even more work than he already has

2) We're mere mortals, and the information quantity that we are able to give is not very big - we cannot compare a product with dozens, only with a few. I mean, we can blatter about how much better our new amp brand X model Y is, compared to the Sony we had 20 years ago and to the Rotel or Mark Levinson we had 2 years ago... but that represents a very narrow path, giving not enough info to the reader - too many parameters differ between poster A and reader Z. And to the ones that praise the difference between $20 spikes and $100 ones.. well, gimme a break. As a starter, I would like to see a plotted audiogram of the reviewer's hearing capabilities before even starting to read what he's got to say.

Joey_V

Reaction score
lugano said:
As a starter, I would like to see a plotted audiogram of the reviewer's hearing capabilities before even starting to read what he's got to say.
You got some stringent requirements there... :) .

aliveatfive

Reaction score
lugano said:
I think we should keep in mind some aspects:

1) Poor TomDac should not get even more work than he already has

2) We're mere mortals, and the information quantity that we are able to give is not very big - we cannot compare a product with dozens, only with a few. I mean, we can blatter about how much better our new amp brand X model Y is, compared to the Sony we had 20 years ago and to the Rotel or Mark Levinson we had 2 years ago... but that represents a very narrow path, giving not enough info to the reader - too many parameters differ between poster A and reader Z. And to the ones that praise the difference between $20 spikes and $100 ones.. well, gimme a break. As a starter, I would like to see a plotted audiogram of the reviewer's hearing capabilities before even starting to read what he's got to say.
Do you hold to these same views when reading audio magazines? I've often wondered what makes a published reviewer a more valid source than you or me. I've heard my fair share of components that I thought were terrible. I've also heard some which made me wish I could plunk down the cash. If we (the members) could make each other's purchasing decisions easier, then it would be worth the effort. I, for one, would be willing to contribute. If you think that my prose would not be worthwhile, you wouldn't have to read it.

Robin

Reaction score
Equipment Reviews...

I think it would be a good idea to have a section devoted to "Reviews and Recommendations" of audio equipment and assoicated gear. :)

As everyone knows, new ML owners seem to want recommendations of which amplifier would sound good with a given ML speaker. Cables - Interconnects and Speaker Cable, Bi-Wire reviews and recommendation too. I think it would be a good place on our site to go to discover how a piece of gear generally preforms with ML speakers. This proposed section of the ML Club could prove instructional as well as benificial, instead of doing a search for "Anthem" amplifiers on our site you could check to see if a member had posted a review / recommendation for an Anthem amplifier. It would depend on our membership actually writing reviews / recommendations. I think members would use it instead of or inaddition to starting a whole new thread to discuss a new piece of equipment or speaker. The reviews and recommendations would be centralized and in one place easy to find, which would be a good thing. :D

aliveatfive

Reaction score
Robin said:
I think it would be a good idea to have a section devoted to "Reviews and Recommendations" of audio equipment and assoicated gear. :)

As everyone knows, new ML owners seem to want recommendations of which amplifier would sound good with a given ML speaker. Cables - Interconnects and Speaker Cable, Bi-Wire reviews and recommendation too. I think it would be a good place on our site to go to discover how a piece of gear generally preforms with ML speakers. This proposed section of the ML Club could prove instructional as well as benificial, instead of doing a search for "Anthem" amplifiers on our site you could check to see if a member had posted a review / recommendation for an Anthem amplifier. It would depend on our membership actually writing reviews / recommendations. I think members would use it instead of or inaddition to starting a whole new thread to discuss a new piece of equipment or speaker. The reviews and recommendations would be centralized and in one place easy to find, which would be a good thing. :D
I agree. So far, so do the majority.

TomDac

Staff member
Reaction score
I can totally see where RECOMMENDED AMPS section would be a great thing because it definitely plays a huge impact on your system's ability to drive your Logans....

I'm reluctant to open it up for other stuff like turntables, pre-amps, CD players, etc. because I think this is not the place for that even though peripheral equipment could potentially change the way your SYSTEM sounds.. It doesn't directly affect driving your Logans... of course an argument could be make to the contrary, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

With that being said, I will set up a "RECOMMENDED COMPONENTS" area with an amplifiers forum. This will be a moderated forum, much like the "Recommended Recordings" section. What should the person posting to this forum be required to submit? How about this:

Brand
Model
MSRP
Used Market
Basic specs
photo
your experience with this amp
what Logans are you driving with this amp

Anything else?

C.A.P

Reaction score
It just seems like a area you dont want to tread water in !! Everyone perceives their system differently and the room has more about how a system or amp will perform... For me to hear a judgement on a amp that I heard somewhere else and liked or disliked has no Bering on how it will sound on the system of others. This is like the old SS vs.Tube debate !! people WILL always have a preconceived belief on what they want and WILL sometimes believe what they dont want!!! Does my amp sound as good as a 50 wt receiver , to me it does!! but not to the reviewer who says his 50 wpc receiver sounds so open and musical and can drive his Logan's to heaven and back . WAY TO MANY UNPROFESIONAL BIASED OPIONIONS :(

TomDac

Staff member
Reaction score
C.A.P said:
It just seems like a area you dont want to tread water in !!
Exactly.. It is like the great cable/power cord debate...

I'll create the area and if it doesn't have alot of activity, I'll nuke it.

Tom.

aliveatfive

Reaction score
Tom -

How can you review an amp and speaker combination without a source? Source components get a lot of attention in the threads. A source will not necessarily change its character due to associated components. Suppose a ML owner needs a new CD player. Wouldn't a recommended component section help him or her?

C.A.P

Reaction score
We as Logan owners know the HOUSE sound and will tailor our systems to our likes and dislikes ;) . The Associated equipment has a ton of degree how a amp or the LOGANS will sound. This is a subjectivity debate! :eek: As for people looking for advice on equipment reviews, they usually post a question on the board and the people who have had or have the piece will chime in. People WILL tell you if they had a positive response or a negative one. Why not USE the FOREM as a review ! We have several people with systems on board , LOOK AT THEM , AND SEE WHAT THEY ARE SAYING , THATS WHY WE HAVE THE SYSTEMS THRED , TO ADMIRE AND DO SOME RESEARCH FOR A PRODUCT THAT WE WANT INFO ON. That alone is easier and less work for TOM . We love Logans , we know that :D , how and what we choose to drive them is personal choice!. The last thing I want to see is a thred for potential hazing and bickering as people will and have had the same amps, and may have had better results than somebody else did . Imagine that reviewer A says he loved the brand X amp and reviewer B chimes in and destroys the credibility of reviewer A , now what good is that !!!! ;) just my .02 worth

C.A.P

lugano

Reaction score
+46° 1' 26.41", +8° 57' 5.40" (Switzerland)
What about the music ... ?

Of course everything counts: cables, room, furniture, placement, age of panels (and of the listener..) etc, but the music - actually the recording of it and the equalization (often tuned to sound good on ghettoblasters) do count a lot. 60-70% of my CD's sound like s**t on my system, but I know it's not the logans or the rest of my gear. So maybe we should standardize on some CDs that everybody has, like "best of..." or should have, like Chesky's Jazz sampler.

TomDac

Staff member
Reaction score
Amplifiers only for now.. we'll see how it progresses and how it's used, etc. before expanding it further...

It's there now.. post away.

TomDac

Staff member
Reaction score
aliveatfive said:
Tom -

How can you review an amp and speaker combination without a source? Source components get a lot of attention in the threads. A source will not necessarily change its character due to associated components. Suppose a ML owner needs a new CD player. Wouldn't a recommended component section help him or her?
Yes it would, but this is the Martin Logan club, not Audio Review.. Let's see how the amps section gets used and go from there..