Emotiva XPA-DR series amps - NO Bueno!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKY888

Reaction score
If any of you are planning to get Emotiva’s top of the line XPA-DR series (differential reference) to run your Martin Logan’s , scratch that idea!

Emotiva email stated:

“The DR amps are fully differential, using two amplifiers in a bridged, differential configuration. Electrostatic speakers like your Martin Logans produce a highly capacitive load to the amplifier, which can cause issues with the fully differential amps that really see half of the rated impedance of the speaker the way the differential amps are configured. We do not recommend using the DR amps with electrostatic panels”

I ended up getting ATI 1803 this week (replacing crown xls 2502), and it’s perfectly doing it’s jobs running my fronts (Theos & motif-x). You can listen to the video that I attached :)
E335A228-8544-4D8A-B20E-81572C7B4428.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9139.MOV
    5.4 MB
Yep, the same reason there has been widespread advice here to avoid 'bridge mode' in amps that offer that option, as typically, that doubles the minimum impedance the amp will tolerate.
So an amp whose min impedance is 3 Ohms normally, when bridged, will only handle a 6 Ohm minimum load.

Yep, the same reason there has been widespread advice here to avoid 'bridge mode' in amps that offer that option, as typically, that doubles the minimum impedance the amp will tolerate.
So an amp whose min impedance is 3 Ohms normally, when bridged, will only handle a 6 Ohm minimum load.

Yeah! That’s very true

If any of you are planning to get Emotiva’s top of the line XPA-DR series (differential reference) to run your Martin Logan’s , scratch that idea!

Emotiva email stated:

“The DR amps are fully differential, using two amplifiers in a bridged, differential configuration. Electrostatic speakers like your Martin Logans produce a highly capacitive load to the amplifier, which can cause issues with the fully differential amps that really see half of the rated impedance of the speaker the way the differential amps are configured. We do not recommend using the DR amps with electrostatic panels”

I ended up getting ATI 1803 this week (replacing crown xls 2502), and it’s perfectly doing it’s jobs running my fronts (Theos & motif-x). You can listen to the video that I attached :) View attachment 22328
Yes it's true.. they told me this as well. Ended up getting mcintosh monoblocks eventually.

Got mc301 monoblocks. The big ones are a bit large and extensive on all aspects haha 😄

301s are really stunning and goosebumps on transparency and an experience to behold with my esl 9.

How are you finding the ATI? I've heard them on other speakers not esl. Mellow and controlled or aggressive and excited?

Last edited:
Got mc301 monoblocks. The big ones are a bit large and extensive on all aspects haha 😄

301s are really stunning and goosebumps on transparency and an experience to behold with my esl 9.

How are you finding the ATI? I've heard them on other speakers not esl. Mellow and controlled or aggressive and excited?

i used to run my Theos with only crown xls 2502. Very powerful amp down to 2ohms class D. My motif x was only ran by my marantz avr.

I upgraded to ATI 1803 (3 channel , class AB) so I can run my Theos and motif x. They are way more musical now and very clean & clear compared to my previous set up.
they are very controlled

Back