Emissaries of Truth, Justice and the ML Way...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
I have been to several other Audio Forums - AVS Forum, Audio Circle, Audio Karma, etc. In point of fact, I finally became a member of the AVS Forum recently... We all have at one point or another been to other Forums, and some of us are members in other Audio Forums, I'm sure. It is interesting how much information sharing, regarding ML speakers goes on relating to all things audio and who much can be shared / communicated between audio Forums. They/we quote their threads, they/we quote our threads. I must say, for the most part, I do like the exchange that goes on between the verious Forums. Do you agree or disagree? and why? What has been your experience?

I agree that sharing information is a good thing. We are really sharing the information among people and not the forums, so to speak. It is the collective knowledge and willingness OF THE PEOPLE (members) to help that is the driving force, not necessarily affiliation with forum x vs forum y. IMHO

I happen to be a moderator on another forum, but frequent the ML Club and AVS Forum as well. Many others, as you noted, are in the same boat.

Robin, Considering the fact that I am not much of a computer person I find the various forums (both in our hobby and various others as well) to be a good avenue for sharing info, ideas ,etc. Once one is able to discern good credable info from those whose postings really try and help, it then makes any forum that much better.

I think all-in-all the M/L group does a comendable job !!!!!!!

Last edited:
We share the same interests in audio.

dyazdani said:
I agree that sharing information is a good thing. We are really sharing the information among people and not the forums, so to speak. It is the collective knowledge and willingness OF THE PEOPLE (members) to help that is the driving force, not necessarily affiliation with forum x vs forum y. IMHO

I happen to be a moderator on another forum, but frequent the ML Club and AVS Forum as well. Many others, as you noted, are in the same boat.
dyazdani,

I agree. :) It's about folks like us that share the same interest in audio. We just want to further our knowledge, investigate, learn more and share experiences with like minded people. Educating/learning, informing, considering is all apart of the fun, as is communicating with others about our wonderful pastime. :D I swear, I learn something new everyday from our wonderful ML forum and other forums as well... :D

Forums are full of opinions, conjecture, preferences, and sometimes plain stupidity. They should be used as a place for possible ideas, but never the final or ending truth. Over time one may find a person or persons, who report and reply in such a way that it agrees with your perceptions or ideals. Then you can possibly start to "trust" their statements and replies - to a point.

The forums "may" be a place to learn something, but can also put you completely out in left-field. Remember the topics and discusions are just more pieces of information - right and wrong - in a very large puzzle.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Forums are full of opinions, conjecture, preferences, and sometimes plain stupidity. They should be used as a place for possible ideas, but never the final or ending truth. Over time one may find a person or persons, who report and reply in such a way that it agrees with your perceptions or ideals. Then you can possibly start to "trust" their statements and replies - to a point.

The forums "may" be a place to learn something, but can also put you completely out in left-field. Remember the topics and discusions are just more pieces of information - right and wrong - in a very large puzzle.

Dan

This is true. I find more mis-information on a site like AVS than any other. Many times people claim to have done a comparison where they mention faults that I know to not exist in a unit. AVS is where I read that the ML Prodigy had a lack of "openess," and other nonsense.

I'm a professional at this. It is my job to get people in the right gear FOR THEM. This has many times gone against my own opinion. However it is THEIR EARS, THEIR EYES, and THEIR HAPPINESS.

I'm a neutral guy, I want the best most possible recreation of what was originally intended. I'm looking for a lot of transparency.

Some are bass heads, some like dulled sounds of the high end, some like overly bright energetic sound.

The point is that it all comes down to the person's opinion. The bottom line is that these forums should be used to find out if a product is good quality. AVS is scary in that it gets a lot of people who have problems posting on it.

It is like my Xbox-360 I heard repeatedly that they had problems, went to forums and found tons of posts. I've not had one issue. I contacted the distributor and straight up asked about known returns, it was less than 2% which in this industry is exceptional. So I bought one.

My job is strictly to find what the person truly will get the most enjoyment out of, and put together that equipment with the synergy they would expect and blow them away. I've been doing it for awhile now, and I'm rather good at it.

However giving advice on a forum is HARD. I don't have music/movies to show on different setups to judge reactions. I honestly can't give out truly great advice on here. I can say what I love, but what I love may differ from your loves.

DTB300 said:
Yep - you have to sometiems first evaluate the subjectiveness of the query at hand.

I like to stick to the more objective discussions; possibly helping people with problems (electrical issues, connection issues, ways to accomplish DIY projects etc.) and stay away from the threads that involve personal tastes. Sure, you can give some general advice, but those threads don't normally have a "final answer" e.g. "should I buy speaker X or speaker Y"

tsd2005 said:
Some are bass heads, some like dulled sounds of the high end, some like overly bright energetic sound.
And that part of your job is probably the hardest of all until you can show/demo some systems and "try" to get a feel for their preferences. While you may find an initial preference, people can change their minds after hearing some other type of playback. Not an easy task.

AVS is scary in that it gets a lot of people who have problems posting on it.
I would agree with you. I find you have to really weed through a multitude of posts to gain some of the information you may be looking for.

However giving advice on a forum is HARD. I don't have music/movies to show on different setups to judge reactions. I honestly can't give out truly great advice on here. I can say what I love, but what I love may differ from your loves.
We all give out opinions based on our experiences, and the best advice or opinion comes with a backgroud or comparison of information. This may give the person asking a reference or comparison point.

Dan

dyazdani said:
Sure, you can give some general advice, but those threads don't normally have a "final answer" e.g. "should I buy speaker X or speaker Y"
One of funniest posts that I see on a frequent basis is: "I have $10k to spend on "X" - what should I buy?"

I keep thinking to myself - Gosh, give me $1k of that and I will be glad to help you spend money you do not know what to do with :) These are the people with high priced systems that sound like crap. What do you hear from them: "But look at what I have spent on my setup!!!" (so they think it must be good)

Dan

DTB300 said:
One of funniest posts that I see on a frequent basis is: "I have $10k to spend on "X" - what should I buy?"
Yeah, I was thinking of that one myself. If I had that kind of money, I'd be buying what I want, not looking for opinions from people I don't know.

Most people give decent advice and you can usually tell pretty quickly who knows their stuff and who doesn't.

Latest posts

Back