Electrostatic panels' lifespan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John

I'm new to owning ML's, but I recently heard someone say that ML stat panels have a lifespan of about ten years, then they'll likely need to be replaced. Does anyone have knowledge on this? Thanks.

John

I would think that the environment they are exposed to would have an effect on thier lifespan such as keeping them out of direct sunlight, not smoking in the room, occasional cleaning with a vac or maybe a wash after several years, and so forth. Good question. I wonder what ML has to say about lifespan.

Another good question is how long is the lifespan of cone speakers and ribbon speakers?

I thought I read in the Summit and Vantage manuals that the panels should last upwards of 10 or more years...

Who really keeps their speakers for more than 10+ years? With the way technologly is changing my 2 y/o $4,000 computer is now obsolete. DVD Players the same, tubes burn out on expensive CD players, so on and so forth.

As far as the panels, some have had them for a really long time in safe (non-smoking, pet free) environments. Probably nothing to worry about. enjoy the music.

:)

SugarMedia said:
Who really keeps their speakers for more than 10+ years? With the way technologly is changing my 2 y/o $4,000 computer is now obsolete. DVD Players the same, tubes burn out on expensive CD players, so on and so forth.

As far as the panels, some have had them for a really long time in safe (non-smoking, pet free) environments. Probably nothing to worry about. enjoy the music.

:)

I am the only owner of my Quests :D I am on my second pair of panels. I had a pair of CLS' for about 4 years and then sold them (what a dummy I was).

I have heard the Prodigy and Summit and believe they do sound better but I didn't think they were/are worth the premium although I am arranging for an in-house audition of the Summit at home.

John said:
I'm new to owning ML's, but I recently heard someone say that ML stat panels have a lifespan of about ten years, then they'll likely need to be replaced. Does anyone have knowledge on this? Thanks.

John

Keep them clean and they should last upwards of 10-15 years. Smoke free environment is the most important, regularly clean them with a vacuum and also ensure the house is kept free from cooking oils and haze. (We do all our frying outside on the barbecue because my wife hates stale cooking smells and I don't want to ruin the 'logans!) - I'm sure greasy cooking smoke would stick to the panels faster than cigarette smoke!

Last edited:
Bought my SL3 brand new back in Dec 1996, still sounding pretty much the same. I have listened to Ascent in the dealer months ago and must say my SL3 feels very similar.
I just vacuum the panel everytime I vacuum the floor, a few times a month, may be?

I bought my ML CLS in 1987 and they are still as good as ever. They are in a smoke-free environment and away from direct sunlight.

I had Sequels for 17 years and the panels were still in good working condition.. They had lost some of their brilliance and had I decided to keep the Sequels, I would've replaced the panels. Upgraded to reQuests instead.

I think it all depends on your environment. Humidity can shorten the lifespan.

What is the reaso n for panel failure as a function of age?
Does the mylar polymerize, is there some kind of decomposition?.....

Joel

I was thinkng about buying a logos that the serial says was made in 94....supposedly it sounds just fine. anyone have lifespan issues with this model? Can the panel be replaced on this one, and is it worth it? was given the idea from several folks that the logos is a better match for the ascents, compared to the newer cinema (theater is out of budget), and this logos is just over $1K.....

Chris

jmschnur said:
What is the reaso n for panel failure as a function of age?
Does the mylar polymerize, is there some kind of decomposition?.....

Joel

I asked this same question some time ago - the answers are here:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2059&highlight=panel+longevity

Basically, environmental pollution is the determining factor for panel longevity - once dust, smoke, cooking oils, etc start to stick to the mylar diaphragm it loses conductivity and becomes heavier, meaning it is less able to respond to the input signal. This is why you should vacuum them regularly! Humidity enhances this sticking effect which is why high humidity is bad for ES panels also!

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all

Thanks to all for your replies...I'd just like to add that the reason I asked this question was because I'm interested in obtaining older ML's (especially CLSiiz). However, I don't want to buy them and risk them going bad as I imagine that finding replacement panels for older models won't be easy. It's good to hear that the panels do stand a fighting chance for longevity the better their owner takes care of them. Long live MLs!

John,
From what I understand, replacement panels are available for older models directly from ML. There are a number of fellow posters here who have within the last year replaced their CLS panels. If my memory serves me right they run about $500. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeff Z replaced his CLS panels....Cost was 800 or 900. I am sure Jeff will jump in to confirm.

Dan

John,

The panels were $890.00 USD and I bought new ones a little over a year ago. My old panels, which I still have if anyone is interested, were about 14 years old when I replaced them. The panels are the new formula and it was a difference. I just did not want to wash mine but maybe I should have. :confused:

For what it worth I did talk with Jim Power about the older panels and he told me they always keep at least a few sets on the shelf. When the stock gets low they build new ones to replace the stock.

Jeff :cool:

I just bought panels for SL3 and Monolith.

The SL3 was $550 and the Monolith $890 a pair.

These are great deals. The SL3 panels are now ClearSpar panels, and look great.

If panels are >10 years, I'd recommend the update regardless.

I still have a pair of Sequels that have yet to upgraded (made in '93) and the contrast to the new SL3 panels is very noticeable just by ear, and measured, the contrast is even bigger. The high-end roll off on the old panels is huge.
The reason I'm in no rush is that rear speakers benefit from a bit of roll-off.

But I'll order panels this year, even if just to keep handy.

Panel Life

John said:

John

My reQuest panels have degraded significantly over eight or so years; they have lost nearly all high end response. A washing resulted in a minor improvement, but not satisfactory plus some unsightly water spots on the membrane. After consulting with Jim Power at ML, I simply ordered a set of replacements at $699.95. Better, I suppose, than buying new speakers. Depending on the results, I may purchase and store another set, as ML says they generally stock replacements for at least 5-8 years after ceasing production. I'd hate to be stuck with a frame and a woofer only!

I guess US customers are lucky.
I just ordered replacement panels for my Quests.
Cost: 1525 euro = $1900!
I seems shipping these panels to Europe is expensive. :)

Adri.

Adri said:
I guess US customers are lucky.

Yes, very lucky I would say.

If dollars were relative then I spent the equivalent of $35,000 on my setup in my new currency. That's why I'll wait to get the Summits when I get back to the States.

Latest posts

Back