Electromotion ESL panels fading issue.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

AuBrisbane

Reaction score
Got my ESL pair in 2014, and very excited with them so much so that I have decided to go and get few more from ML range ( 2 X Dynamo 700 Subs, 2 X Motion FX surrounds and ElectroMotion C2 centre).
Sounds produced by ESL started fading badly and ESL Panels were replaced in 2018, under warranty cover.
Same case again, another four years in use and panels are losing intensity and high frequency spectrum again.
Called Australian dealer to get a price for a pair of ESL Panels and got price of $3,070.00 AUS Dollars (close to 2,065.00 US Dollars)?
Not a happy ElectroMotion ESL user, at all.
The rest of dynamic/ribbon ML speakers are all working fine.
Despite what ML is saying about Electrostatics and humidity, I think humidity is playing big part in panels life expectancy, as in this case they can not keep up quality of the sound produced for a longer than four years.

What is the price of the Panels purchased in USA for ElectroMotion ESL and what place is offering them?
A few days ago, somebody posted site details of the guys in Germany doing ESL refurbishment with different kind of foil, coating and glue stipes. Contacted them and got their price of 1,110.oo EUR which is not so bad compared to price quoted by Australian Dealer for a new pair of ESL Panels.

Very kin to hear your suggestion.

Cheers from Australia.
Zoran

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, 4 years is not long at all. My Prodigy panels needed to be replaced when I got them used. By that time they were about 15 years old. Most guys report them being good for between 15 and 20 years.

Something is definitely going on with the environment the speakers are used in. Are you an indoor smoker? Is the home air conditioned and dehumidified?

My replacement Prodigy panels were about $2800 here in the US, but those are much bigger panels. We have at least one very experienced Australian member here. He will be able to offer good advice.

Brandon Hartwick

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Is it just one speaker or both that's experiencing this issue? 4 years on a set of pa els.is absolutely nothing, I think mine are going on 20 and still have zero issues.

I'd be tempted to dig into electrical troubleshooting, assuming you're capable.

AuBrisbane

Reaction score
Wow, 4 years is not long at all. My Prodigy panels needed to be replaced when I got them used. By that time they were about 15 years old. Most guys report them being good for between 15 and 20 years.

Something is definitely going on with the environment the speakers are used in. Are you an indoor smoker? Is the home air conditioned and dehumidified?

My replacement Prodigy panels were about $2800 here in the US, but those are much bigger panels. We have at least one very experienced Australian member here. He will be able to offer good advice.
Thanks Robert,

Non- smokers environment, no pets, no small kids. Home is air-conditioned and air-con is used just a few days a year during high humidity days (when humidity level is 70% and above).
Speaker set is not exposed to any direct or indirect UV rays.
Room is well ventilated all year around
When ESL panels were replaced for the first time it was "Wow" effect, nice crisp and louder sound were coming out of the ESL panels.
Today it is muffled and amp has too be turned up to get some sound volume out of them with bass being more present than it should be.

Yes, Prodigy panels are massive compared to ElectroMotion ESL (baby in comparison to Prodigy).

Thanks again for your kind input.

Cheers from Australia
Zoran

AuBrisbane

Reaction score
Is it just one speaker or both that's experiencing this issue? 4 years on a set of pa els.is absolutely nothing, I think mine are going on 20 and still have zero issues.

I'd be tempted to dig into electrical troubleshooting, assuming you're capable.
Hi Brandon,

Both are having same issue and not for the first time.
I just posted reply to Robert about first replacement and instant improvement in ESL panels sound reproduction which normally rules out any electrical issue.
I have taken image of the new panels at the time of replacement ( done by the Dealer) and here is sticker saying ESL panels are made on 15 June 2016.

I might use UMIK-1 Microphone and run REW program to get some idea what is going on.

Not keen doing ESL Panels washing as it will damage glue holding segments in place.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Cheers
Zoran

Attachments

• ML1.jpg
    ML1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 0

Tmort

Reaction score
Is it both panels or just one?

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Robert,

Non- smokers environment, no pets, no small kids. Home is air-conditioned and air-con is used just a few days a year during high humidity days (when humidity level is 70% and above).
Speaker set is not exposed to any direct or indirect UV rays.
Room is well ventilated all year around
When ESL panels were replaced for the first time it was "Wow" effect, nice crisp and louder sound were coming out of the ESL panels.
Today it is muffled and amp has too be turned up to get some sound volume out of them with bass being more present than it should be.

Yes, Prodigy panels are massive compared to ElectroMotion ESL (baby in comparison to Prodigy).

Thanks again for your kind input.

Cheers from Australia
Zoran
The symptoms you describe are identical to how my Prodigies sounded when the panels were wore out. I used Audyssey and it made them sound much better. It must have cut the bass output from the woofers and raised high frequency output to compensate. I use a subwoofer and so it took on a greater role. New panels now corrected all of that.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
My only guess would be it's humidity being too high. Have you tried just leaving on the air conditioner all spring, summer, and fall? That's how we do it here in Ohio. The thermostat regulates everything

Brandon Hartwick

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I would think you would need some wild humidity to consistently kill panels like this, that's very strange.

Have you contacted Martin Logan about this? If they do one thing very well it's technical support.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I would think you would need some wild humidity to consistently kill panels like this, that's very strange.

Have you contacted Martin Logan about this? If they do one thing very well it's technical support.
I think we have a member here that lives in India that had problems with humidity, not 100% on the country.

AuBrisbane

Reaction score
My only guess would be it's humidity being too high. Have you tried just leaving on the air conditioner all spring, summer, and fall? That's how we do it here in Ohio. The thermostat regulates everything
Thanks Robert.

Here is what ML is saying about Electrostatics and Humidity on their Q&A support site:
1670588667889.jpeg

So, ML thinks ESL panels have no issue with humidity. Hmmmm....?

Cheers.
Zoran

AuBrisbane

Reaction score

Thanks Brandon,

I think it will be a bit more complicated as this is the Customer from outside of USA and Dealership is involved.
But, I have taken your advice and sent direct request to ML USA Technical support and got confirmation that person dealing with overseas claims will contact me soon.

Hope for the best.

Cheers
Zoran

AuBrisbane

Reaction score
The symptoms you describe are identical to how my Prodigies sounded when the panels were wore out. I used Audyssey and it made them sound much better. It must have cut the bass output from the woofers and raised high frequency output to compensate. I use a subwoofer and so it took on a greater role. New panels now corrected all of that.
Most likely new Panels made you going and discovering well known music tracks to be sounding much more richer in music presentation, putting smile on your face again.

Cheers.
Zoran

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Robert.

Here is what ML is saying about Electrostatics and Humidity on their Q&A support site:
View attachment 23619
So, ML thinks ESL panels have no issue with humidity. Hmmmm....?

Cheers.
Zoran
Strange. It's generally accepted, on here I thought, that humidity does affect panels. I think some have even mentioned arching.

What ML says there contradicts that for sure. I'd contact Ron at ML and ask directly. Email these days is easiest.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Most likely new Panels made you going and discovering well known music tracks to be sounding much more richer in music presentation, putting smile on your face again.

Cheers.
Zoran
That it did! Ironically, one of the big improvements was bass. Bass was better because Audyssey no longer had to neuter the woofers to match panel output.