Electro-motion thread -they are comin'

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhpm510

Reaction score
The new model is on it's way to the stores! (per my source)
I hope this is a real break through at the price point. Gotta like the larger panel for sure.

Any one see one for sale yet? I noticed Amazon doesn't list them yet.

ABT.com has them as pre-orders, with fee shipping.

I went to local box store and sale man was clueless for their arrival.

Yep i am getting bored waiting for them . Justin on a vid said they will be here by the end of feb

Last edited:
Steve Guttenberg, audio guy at cNet, gave them a decent write-up here.

It wasn't a review per se, more of a "these are coming soon" announcement coupled with a general discussion of electrostatic speakers.

Looks like one of ML authorized online sellers has it listed now.
I have an email into them to see if they have it in stock.
We'll see.

These were going through final QC last week and this week have already started shipping to dealers across the country.

This is the view from outside of my office -- a few pairs I get to use for videos and reviews.

Attachments

• EM-office.jpg
    EM-office.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,436
C'mon, how do they sound compared to the Source/purity line??

Does anyone know how these speakers compare to the ML Sources, does the extra panel make a big difference compare to the Sources. thanks

Any word on the Electro Motion EMC2 Center? Wondering how it would compare against one of the ESL centers and how it would pair with a set of Ascent i's?

Hello,
They look amazing for that price and I do actually agree with the Marketing that this Speaker is going to bring in scores of new ESL Owners. Not so sure about the Doped Paper Woofers, but combined with a Grotto, Depth, or Descent really might make for an enticing 2 Channel rig.
Cheers,
JJ

My local best buy/magnolia told me they aren't stocking them. They said they'd only be sold at real Magnolia stores.

Bummer. We don't have any real Magnolia stores.

My local best buy/magnolia told me they aren't stocking them. They said they'd only be sold at real Magnolia stores.

I wont be able to demo these either but I have the source and these are better so its a safe bet your gona get an amazing set of speakers for 2k

I just wish amazon or some place online would stock them

I read a few places online on the 16th martin logan is now available for pre order etc

Not true, I work at a best buy/magnolia. I just received a pair of them yesterday. Hopefully will have them on display soon.

Not true, I work at a best buy/magnolia. I just received a pair of them yesterday. Hopefully will have them on display soon.

That's what my local store told me. Most anticipated new speaker from ML in a decade and they're not bothering with them.

Yeah, real smart.

Hi Guys,

First time post on MLF and looking for my first ML's (well I have the Encore center). I was fortunate to stop by a Best Buy this afternoon, about an hour from my house.

I asked the Magnolia guy if he had the new Electromotions. He said yes they had come in the day before. I asked if I could hear them and he said they were still in the box in the back, but...if I would like to hear them he would go get them. Well...

I helped him unbox them and set them up which was fun in itself. They were very nice looking, kinda like little Vantages. We disconnected and pulled out a pair of Motion 12's, put the Electromotions in their place and connected the EM's. There was also a pair of Sources there for comparison purposes.

He used a Pioneer Elite to drive them. The sound from the new EM's was sounding sort of "straight" being right out of the box. Switching over to the Sources, the sound was more full but then switching back to the EM's, there was more "airyness" (if that is a word) to them than was coming from the Sources. But even brand new the sound was very nice. After about 45 minutes (loved this guy...he said take as much time as I wanted), switching between the Sources and the EM's and several CD's later, the sound was beginning to open up more (there go the hairs on the back of my neck). He said when he set up the Sources a couple years earlier, they were similar sounding, meaning "straight" sounding and the Sources took a couple weeks to really open up. He said he was going to run the new EM's for a few nights, all night to help break them in.

I plan to be back that way next Friday (hopefully) but definitely on April 2. I am eager to hear the newly broken in EM's then and will post again. I figure I have waited this long for the EM's, that a couple more weeks is not too much to wait. I am also hoping when I post again, I will also have a new set of L/R ML's breaking in in my living room.

Best,
Jim

Hi Guys,

First time post on MLF and looking for my first ML's (well I have the Encore center). I was fortunate to stop by a Best Buy this afternoon, about an hour from my house.

I asked the Magnolia guy if he had the new Electromotions. He said yes they had come in the day before. I asked if I could hear them and he said they were still in the box in the back, but...if I would like to hear them he would go get them. Well...

I helped him unbox them and set them up which was fun in itself. They were very nice looking, kinda like little Vantages. We disconnected and pulled out a pair of Motion 12's, put the Electromotions in their place and connected the EM's. There was also a pair of Sources there for comparison purposes.

He used a Pioneer Elite to drive them. The sound from the new EM's was sounding sort of "straight" being right out of the box. Switching over to the Sources, the sound was more full but then switching back to the EM's, there was more "airyness" (if that is a word) to them than was coming from the Sources. But even brand new the sound was very nice. After about 45 minutes (loved this guy...he said take as much time as I wanted), switching between the Sources and the EM's and several CD's later, the sound was beginning to open up more (there go the hairs on the back of my neck). He said when he set up the Sources a couple years earlier, they were similar sounding, meaning "straight" sounding and the Sources took a couple weeks to really open up. He said he was going to run the new EM's for a few nights, all night to help break them in.

I plan to be back that way next Friday (hopefully) but definitely on April 2. I am eager to hear the newly broken in EM's then and will post again. I figure I have waited this long for the EM's, that a couple more weeks is not too much to wait. I am also hoping when I post again, I will also have a new set of L/R ML's breaking in in my living room.

Best,
Jim

How did they look compare to the Sources. Are they just as tall or taller, and is the panel a little bit wider or the same, could you when you go back, if possible if ok with the person at BB to take a picture side by side, I would like to see how they look compare to the source's. Let me know if you hear a difference between the two. I am debated which ones to get, and the Sources are going pretty fast what I hear. Big price difference between the two, but I only want to do this once. Thanks

source specs

Weight
47 lbs. (21.4 kg)

Dimensions
51.2" × 9.7" × 14.6"
(130cm × 24.5cm × 37cm)

Electromotion specs

Weight 35.5lbs.
Overall Dimensions
(HxWxD) 52.1 x 9 x 16.3 (132.3cm x 22.9cm x

the electromotion is about the same same height but lighter panel is also a bit thinner

How did they look compare to the Sources. Are they just as tall or taller, ..., if possible if ok with the person at BB to take a picture side by side, .... Big price difference between the two, but I only want to do this once. Thanks

repman gave the specs but for me side by side yesterday, the EM's appeared about an inch taller (maybe the spikes) and the panels a bit wider maybe an inch. Even though I just double checked the specs and they should be about the same height and the panels the same width, that is how they appeared to me yesterday. The EM's look a bit cleaner maybe because the base is lower than the Sources but that is just my preference.

I'll email the 2 guys I have been talking to at the Best Buy in Gilroy to see if they can take a side by side pic and email it to me as JJ said yesterday the Sources will be marked open box shortly and more than likely they will be gone. Sometimes these guys don't look at their emails for a few days so we'll see. Worse case I'll take pics when I go back.

There is another BB about an hour and a half away (Modesto) that have the Vantages (in the Mag room) and Sources just outside of that room. When I talked to one of their training reps who happened to be there for the day, he said when the EM's come in he was going to have them put the Vantages, EM's and Sources next to each other for comparisons. I am eager to go there as well.

Best,
Jim

Back