Effectiveness of Power Conditioners

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Music Rings for Martin Logan

Davei / Gilbert

My friend will be dropping off my MR 1800 (higher power rating) Looks much larger, don't know if it does a better job than the MR1200s or not. Nor have I tried with ML components.

When U say that it reduces the sound quality, what do you mean exactly? Is this generally for the entire line?

I thought some of the electronics / filters in the BC cords heralded for MLs were also found in the Music Rings. The theory is that good clean power, which is what power conditioners are supposed to do, improves sound with ML spkrs. So I'm a little bit lost.

Bryston Amps

I own a couple of the Bryston SST series and used different power conditioning and tweaking elements. I've found similar to Nick's comments

"I think it depends on the conditioner being used, how much power your speakers take and just how clean your power is to start with."

Your milege will vary. Amps with great power supplies tend to benefit less from pcs and/or cords., Downtown RF/EMI filled homes tend to show sonic changes... Change you may decide subjectively is good or bad for you.

I've posted a few comments on Canuckaudiomart forum for anyone interested.

Kevin said:
Ya science is on my side! I am right and you are wrong.

then i suppose the noise attenuation rating that accompanies all power conditioners is just numbers?

db level@frequency

Marman said:
Davei / Gilbert

My friend will be dropping off my MR 1800 (higher power rating) Looks much larger, don't know if it does a better job than the MR1200s or not. Nor have I tried with ML components.

If Gilbert does not reply here, email him about his products. He is very helpful and will explain things very well.

Dan

Marman said:
Davei / Gilbert

When U say that it reduces the sound quality, what do you mean exactly? Is this generally for the entire line?

I thought some of the electronics / filters in the BC cords heralded for MLs were also found in the Music Rings. The theory is that good clean power, which is what power conditioners are supposed to do, improves sound with ML spkrs. So I'm a little bit lost.

marman
gilberts email

Dave

Are you ordering power cords for your Prodigys to plug into the Music Ring? I have to be
honest, the Music Ring are great for the electronics but balanced power like the Music
Ring and other brands are not that good on ML speaker. I have many pairs of ML and I know
it. If you are ording power cords to hook up your Prodigys, better save the money and get
a couple of BC86MKIII, or even better, get a pair of BC68 instead. Of course, if budget
allow.

designed the BC68 for electrostatics speaker and especially for ML speaker. They have
the right amount of filter for the speaker. ML speaker just seem to not like any kind of
balanced ac power. May be it is because they already have a transformer inside and any
additional "balancing" are too much.

Just my thought

that was from gilbert, i should have explained in the last post sorry.
i will be getting a music bar bc606 for ML's and yes blue circle products are IMHO great value and performance for the money
davei

then i suppose the noise attenuation rating that accompanies all power conditioners is just numbers?

Of course that rating matters. The tripp lite LCR2400 has 2 different levels of filtration. Black receptacles = 20db @ 20Khz, 40db @ 1Mhz, White receptacles = 40db @ 20Khz, 75db @ 1Mhz.

I have a Balanced Power Technologies BPT 3.5 and love the difference it made in my system.

Buy the right one and it will help!

Good luck!

Back