Ebay Scam

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akm3

Reaction score
There is an obvious scam for some Martin Logan Odyssey speakers on Ebay right now.

Seller is from europe, selling them for $700, shipped, from Europe if you'll only pay within 12 hours via a western union money transfer.

Don't order these.

I sent an E-mail, just in case to the seller and this was his reply (about 30 seconds after I sent):

First I want to tell you that my items are brand new, unopened box
all accessories included and also an international warranty.
My price is the best you could get 700$unit, including the
shipping and insurance taxes.As you can see in my personal page I like traveling and now I am located in eastern europe. We will pay them because the package will be delivered from Europe.
As delivery service we use UPS air service (with insurance and
15 days return policy), because it's the faster. And if you will have
a quick payment, we must also have a quick delivery. So that's why we
use as a payment method Western Union money transfer, the fastest and
also very secure way of sending money. As insurance I use eBay insurance (ask for one if you wish and I will contact eBay right away) and I also have a good feedback. .
So, if you agree with my terms I'm sure that we can close the deal as
soon as possible.
Waiting your quick answer right now,

Just warning ya'll, not that any of you are dumb enough to fall for this.

The disturbing thing is he is selling it from a "Power Seller" account with 1355 seemingly well earned feedbacks (although all for car parts.)

I guess a legit ebay account must have been hacked.

Sad they target Martin Logan lovers :*(

(I didn't post the link, but you'll know them if you see them. Just say NO to $700 Odyssey Martin Logan's SHIPPED(!!) on Ebay.

-Allen

No kidding I just got offered $2,000 for a projector I'm selling on eBay when the Buy It Now price is $1,000... However I told the potential buyer to wire the money anyway haha.

You were offered more then your asking price? That means the money sent to you may be from a check that will bounce or from a hacked account that’s not even there’s. Be careful.

Zip3kx07 said:
You were offered more then your asking price? That means the money sent to you may be from a check that will bounce or from a hacked account that’s not even there’s. Be careful.

Yeah I know that's why I'm not shipping the item out at all.

Maybe I can scam the scammers somehow? haha

Yang1815 said:
Yeah I know that's why I'm not shipping the item out at all.

Maybe I can scam the scammers somehow? haha

Hummmm... Well good luck with that.

I had a lady from England purchase a video card from me off fle-bay, and she wanted to pay me with a personal check which I thought was no problem, as long as she was ok with me holding the item for 7 to 10 days so the check could clear.

I held her check for 9 days and said; OK it must be fine now. I was going to ship it out the next day. Check my account just before I left to ship it and BAM! Negative total and a $35.00 fee from my back because the check bounced.

I contacted her and she says I don’t know how that could happen? I will send you another check with an additional $35.00. Which I never received, or heard from her again. So I was out the E-bay listing fee, the winning bid, $35.00 from by bank, and a 2nd listing fee to re-list it.

Live and learn.
Now I only accept PayPal.

The scamers on eBay have become sophisticated enough that you can't rely on the PayPal logo anymore to indicate a safe auction item.
Many of the fraudulent ML auctions on eBay even offer the PayPal payment option. From what I understand, the hackers allow a buyer to make a paypal payment and then clean out the paypal account. The original account owner gets hit with all the bad stuff afterwards.
Since I have been checking eBay a few times a day in search of additional ML components, I have become very annoyed at the rampant and uncontrolled fraud and scams currently found on eBay. Buyers (and sellers) beware!
For those that are looking for more info, check out www.paypalsucks.com

Latest posts

Back