Easy way to move your ESL's?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willem S.

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for an easy way to slide my ESL 9's without ruining my wooden floor or my back. Any solutions here? I saw B & W speakers with a piece of carpet under them because carpets slides easily on a wooden floor. I was thinking of putting wheels underneath my ESL's: a simple wooden shelf on 4 wheels. But given the weight nof the speakers that might need a robust construction and I imagine the speaker would go up about 10-15 cm (5-8"?) in the air. Would that be a good idea? How would it affect the sound? Any other solutions? Thankx.

These work great for "long distance" moves across the floor:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-12-in-Steel-Tri-Dolly-with-300-lb-Load-Rating-9442/100140490

For moving a few inches at a time I simply use the shiny heavier paper or card stock junk mail. Tear off a small piece, lay it on the floor shiny side down, then lift the speaker spike and put the spike disc on the junk Then any flat hard material that won't get punctured will work.

Thanks for your reply but the link didn't work: "You don't have permission to access "http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-12-in-Steel-Tri-Dolly-with-300-lb-Load-Rating-9442/100140490" on this server."

But it won't be long distance moves, the speakers won't leave the livingroom. :) Just to move them 10-15 " left-right, back-front etc.Don't no know what "card stock junk mail" is.

He means something like this.

And 'card stock junk mail' is just something like card board, preferably with a plastic coating. In Dutch: geplastificeerd karton.

Your own idea of a piece of wood (MDF) with maybe some kind of carpet glued to the underside, might be a usable solution. Wheels might be an alternative to carpet, but I would go with wheels that have a decent manual breaking system on them so that you can fixate the speakers in place.

Hi,

I'm looking for an easy way to slide my ESL 9's without ruining my wooden floor or my back. Any solutions here? I saw B & W speakers with a piece of carpet under them because carpets slides easily on a wooden floor. I was thinking of putting wheels underneath my ESL's: a simple wooden shelf on 4 wheels. But given the weight nof the speakers that might need a robust construction and I imagine the speaker would go up about 10-15 cm (5-8"?) in the air. Would that be a good idea? How would it affect the sound? Any other solutions? Thankx.
I don't know what others are recommending because I'd have to follow every link. As far as putting your speakers permanently on castors, spikes are usually recommended when possible, though they don't leave a bare wooden floor unmarked. Truthfully, I've never evaluated the sound closely with or without spikes, I just use them. But they do make the speakers a pain to move for fine-tweaking the positioning--and sliding them on a wooden floor is right out if you're worried about marking it.

I use "furniture sliders" from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-Round-Magic-Sliders-4-Pack-04100/100391627
They are useful around the house for moving all kinds of things. My speakers are on a carpet but these should work equally well on a floor.

Thanks for your reply but the link didn't work: "You don't have permission to access "Shepherd 12 in. Steel Tri-Dolly with 300 lb. Load Rating 9442 - The Home Depot" on this server."

But it won't be long distance moves, the speakers won't leave the livingroom. :) Just to move them 10-15 " left-right, back-front etc.Don't no know what "card stock junk mail" is.
Funny, it works for me, though it asks for permission to use my location. But if you're just optimizing the positioning, those dollies are overkill (and they will affect the sound, at the very least by changing the height). The slider disks I use should work fine for that. I hope my link works for you.

The sliders with a carpeted side work great on wood floors and the smooth plastic sided work great on carpet.

My CLXs are two heavy aluminum plates which in turn have smooth sliders underneath making for easy placement adjustment.

Latest posts

Back