Earthquake protecting your ML's...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
I have found my Ascent i's, being tall speakers, are vulnerable to tipping over in an earthquake. I have found that anchoring them, to the cieling, using a heavy duty cotten line, to a eye bolt to a beam, just above my speakers, is a good way to protect them... The photo's of my 'System# 57,' show how my Ascent i's are anchored in this way... :)

Having lived in California all of my life, one thing you perpare for is having earthquakes. When I lived in southern California, the worst earthquakes I experianced were: Saugus / Newhall (aka, Sylmar / San Fernando) quake of 2/9/1971, and the Northridge quake on 1/17/1994. Since comming to Northern California, in 1997, I have experianced a large earthquake centered in the hills / mountain range, near Napa, about three years ago.I have never had my Ascent i's during a California earthquake yet... :eek:

Have any of you any of you guys experianced an earthquake with your tall ML speakers? If so, how did they do?
Have you anchored them? If so, how?

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
Robin,

I have been a Calif native all my life! In my own experience I have gone through Sequel II's in my old house when I lived in Monrovia (Whittier earthquake) then and I thought for sure my system was toast,it wasn't. The speakers didn't move at all, the spikes really helped. In my latest home the Odyssey's have fared just as well. In a serious quake it won't matter what you tie them down with if the house moves enough stuff will break. None of the ML speakers are top heavy so I don't really see a problem? Only thing I try and do is ride that baby out and then check the house. In all honesty I'd be more concerned with gas,water electrical problems before my system. Just my two cents!

Last edited:
Statman,
I totally agree. I have been in Southern California for 35 years and have ridden out many earthquakes. Although I did not have any ML's at the time, worrying about my equipment would be the least of my worries when it is all shaking.

As for those who who don't have this problem, I still I would take my chances with earthquakes over tornadoes or hurricanes. :eek:

Jeff :cool:

Perhaps not quite earthquake proof/tested is the old grinding disk method I came up with. Helps keep visitors, animals, children and robust vacuuming from tipping the speaker over so easily.

Guess you could always super glue or bolt them down for extra measure. :)

Attachments

• Grind-1.jpg
    Grind-1.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I should explain, the oversized spike goes into the metal hole. Might not work on carpet. :cool:

Attachments

• Grind-2.jpg
    Grind-2.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 117
"worrying about my equipment would be the least of my worries when it is all shaking."
True enough Jeff, but when your speakers are potential weapons
like Robin's it becomes a concern. :)

Latest posts

Back