Dynamo 1000 returned first for popping/now second has issue

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachyfarms

Reaction score
Hello all ML enthusiasts, I need some assistance determining if some sounds are normal out of my sub.

I purchased the first dynamo that developed a horrible intermittent popping that would shake the walls whenever it decided to. It would do it while playing sound, when not playing sound, when no input signal was connected and was exchanged at a magnolia 2 weeks after purchase for this current dynamo 1000 that is about 2 weeks old.

- noticed last night while watching regular broadcast TV after finishing the second hunger games movie that the sub was making a very rapid quiet tapping sound that was continuous even when input was disconnected and after being turned off and unplugged and plugged back in. The noise is quiet but with corner placement it is definitely noticeable when in a quiet part of show or movie or not watching anything. The sound gets louder and softer when you increase and decrease level on sub. The sub is using LFE input not wireless. moved sub around an area of about 10 feet and sound stayed the same so I don't think it is an interference issue like holding a cell phone next to speaker can sometimes do.

-Now this morning trying to duplicate before bringing it in I don't get the tapping but a noticeable airy sound when increasing level on sub with no input.. ( to define airy sound I would say like a radio station that has no music when you switching through channels. almost a hissing sound)

Question, should sub produce any sound including just and airy noise of nothing that increases and decreases with level dial when no input is applied? This sound is also amplified by corner placement but not as noticeable as the rapid taping noise was. Until it happens again I wont bring sub in as last time it took an hour of listening with magnolia people before the first sub decided to pop.

Any input of similar experience or advice greatly appreciated.

my system
Motion 20s F L/R
Motion 30 C
Motion 4 R L/R
Dynamo 1000 LFE front left corner placement
Pioneer SC-71 (love it so far wish it had Sub EQ)

First system ever that cost more than 200 dollars total and sounds amazing.

Hola and Welcome. To check if your sub is the culprit of that odd airy noise, just unplug the input RCA and listen. If there is no hissing or noise, then it is not your sub. Happy listening!

Back