DVD player taking a "Dump"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I think my Pionerr Elite DV-45A is heading down the path to the trash heap. It is starting to have a hard time playing anything but perfect DVD's, the audio continues to play ok but the video will go "in and out" on the not so perfect disc's. So my question to all the HT folks out there,what is your recomendation for a inexspensive replacement, I'm talking less than $350 street price. I don't want to spend big bucks since I don't know which way I will go on the High-Def thing down the road.

Thanks !!

What do you mean by "the video will go in and out"?

When was the last time you cleaned the lens? Try a wet/dry DVD system; it helped my 47a and 59Avi when they would get picky. I had one DVD that if the lens had may dust on it, my 47a would not read the disk but after I cleaned it the DVD would read just fine.

twich54 said:
I think my Pionerr Elite DV-45A is heading down the path to the trash heap.
When I was looking for a Universal Player (when I bought my Denon 2200 a couple of years ago), I auditioned a 45a from Tweeter and within 2 weeks it started to have read errors. While others have had great success with the player, the 49i (?) at the time was considered a better player. A nice Universal, like the 59avi (since the 79avi is now out) can be had for about the same price as your 45a when you bought it. That is if you want to stay with Pioneer. You can get a Sony DVP-NS999ES brand new for under $500. You can then consider having mods done for sound improvement.

Dan

Joe, I guess what i should have said was it will have more frequent "read errors" whereby you will loose the picture for a moment, it then re-sync's itself and continues to play, all the while the audio continues just fine. I will try cleaning the lens though, thanks !

Dan, i'm not hooked on pioneer at all, I only use it for movies, my CD listening is done through my Musical Fidelity player.

"twitchy"

twich54 said:
I think my Pionerr Elite DV-45A is heading down the path to the trash heap. It is starting to have a hard time playing anything but perfect DVD's, the audio continues to play ok but the video will go "in and out" on the not so perfect disc's. So my question to all the HT folks out there,what is your recomendation for a inexspensive replacement, I'm talking less than $350 street price. I don't want to spend big bucks since I don't know which way I will go on the High-Def thing down the road.

Thanks !!

i got a panasonic rp-82 - which has the faroudja genesis chip in it - off ebay for 150 US$ or so. fantastic machine. others in this class are the rp90 and a couple ofdenons from the same vintage. tremendous machines, horribly undermarketed.

search for rp82 in the secrets of home theatre reviews.

if you want new, i think that panasonic has just come out with another mid-price machine that includes a faroudja chip. RP97 comes to mind, but don't quote me on that model number.

cheerslance

I have a denon 900 that I thought was ok. I just bought a cheap pioneer 588A to try SACD/DVD-A. I bought a Fleetwood Mac DVD-A and was pretty disappointed. On normal dvd movies, it sounds very close to the Denon but not quite as good. Surprisingly, the picture is noticably better on the Pioneer. I don't know if this helps at all, but it's the extent of my dvd player knowledge. I'm trying to wait for a HD player also. I'm in a bind now that I have one player that sounds good and one with a good picture.

twich54 said:
Dan, i'm not hooked on pioneer at all, I only use it for movies, my CD listening is done through my Musical Fidelity player.
Then for $200 go out and purchase an Oppo player. The player has received the highest rating ever from HT Secrets.

Dan

Last edited:
twitch, I recently bought my wife a new DVD player to go with the Vizio LCD I bought her for Christmas. It is a Denon DVD 1920. Paid a bit over 300 and it has a good picture, HDMI out and plays SACD and DVD Audio as well. We have been pleased for the price. We are kind of waiting on a Blu Ray.

twich54 said:

Thanks !!
Hola...sometimes your problem is due to a bad cable...are you using S-video or RCA?...change the cable, and check the connector at the DVD player and the TV set, also could be a faulty contact...if you have sound then you should have video also...when you have an error reading, both sound and video are affected...Hope this helps...
happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola...sometimes your problem is due to a bad cable...are you using S-video or RCA?...change the cable, and check the connector at the DVD player and the TV set, also could be a faulty contact...if you have sound then you should have video also...when you have an error reading, both sound and video are affected...Hope this helps...
happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.
Roberto, I'm using RCA (componet Video out) changing cable isn't easy since it runs through the wall and back to my projector. I will try another dvd player that I have in the house to verify this though.

Dan, what was the brand of player for $200 you recomended, oppo ???? not familiar ??

twich54 said:
Roberto, I'm using RCA (componet Video out) changing cable isn't easy since it runs through the wall and back to my projector. I will try another dvd player that I have in the house to verify this though.

Dan, what was the brand of player for $200 you recomended, oppo ???? not familiar ??
Hola...if you are using component video...then you must be right with a problem with the DVD unit. Three cables right? (red, blue,green). It could be a problem at the video section of it. When you loose the video, means no picture at all, it is not just a color, or you still have bad noise video?..this is for trying to find what is the problem...happy listening,
roberto.

Last edited:
DVD Player...

Zip3kx07 said:
What do you mean by "the video will go in and out"?

When was the last time you cleaned the lens? Try a wet/dry DVD system; it helped my 47a and 59Avi when they would get picky. I had one DVD that if the lens had may dust on it, my 47a would not read the disk but after I cleaned it the DVD would read just fine.
twichy,

I agree with Joe's post, it could just be reading problem - a dirty lens. roberto's suggestions re: trouble shooting - checking contacts and cable connections is good too. :)
However, If you really just require a new replacement DVD player, I would recommend the best model Denon DVD player under $400.00, as you wait for Blue-Ray to come out... ;)
HTH

twich54 said:

OPPO OPDV971H - DIVX DVI DVD Player

Plays: DVD Video, DVD Audio, Divx/MPEG4, Audio CD, HDCD, WMA, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW, Kodak Picture

http://www.oppodigital.com/

Scored the highest marks ever by HT Secrets for a DVD Player and their tests...See link...and since you are looking for Video only...it is a great bargin choice if you are waiting for the next new format...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=124

Later...Dan

Last edited:
thanks for all the ideas ,etc. everybody, since it's another non-winter weekend here in the Northeast (no snowmobiling for us winter nuts) I've got all weekend to figure it out !!

DTB300 Thanks for those links. I can't believe what the tech response was recording and how much we are paying for a "name" brand.

audioraptured said:
DTB300 Thanks for those links. I can't believe what the tech response was recording and how much we are paying for a "name" brand.
I even think people are modifying these units....But it has received some great talk and discussion as just a DVD player.

Dan

Back