DSP Based EQ System for 200Hz on down for ANY SUB...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB300

Reaction score
In case someone does not read the thread on "Tubes and Low End" where I posted some information on a new product comeing out. I wanted to post it here as a new post to make sure people were aware of it.

There is a great new product coming out to help ALL of us in getting the low end right in our rooms.

It is an equalization system specifically for 200Hz on down. Velodyne and Infinity have this with their subs already to improve their units. This new product will be a system that can be used with ANY sub. This will be a great product to use in addition to room adjustments (traps, etc) to get that low end to sound right - ie. peaks and dips in frequency response...

I will post some info here from the manufacturer. Note: I am not affiliated with this company at all and have nothing to gain other than helping out others looking to correct low end problems in their rooms. I have been on a waiting list for the product since Sept 2004 when I first heard about it. It is scheduled for release, as of latest posts, in about 30 days from now.

**** Start of Manufacturer info *****

A DSP-based parametric EQ which is controlled and programmed via your PC - interfaces via USB to the device.

Features include:

Four fully parametric filters (frequency, width of boost or cut and gain), user adjustable subsonic filter (high pass) with on/off, user adjustable low pass with on/off, the ability to store multiple curves for different types of movies or music (whatever you want really) and a super easy to use computer interface.

Why do you want it? Low-frequency sound waves are very long physically. They interact with the walls in your listening room and this causes dips and peaks in the frequency response. A peak of 10-15dB at one single frequency is common. This is very audible to even the average listener even if they don't know what they are hearing.

You measure the response of the bass in-room and design a reverse curve. Click a button and in less than 200ms, the EQ is uploaded to the hardware! You can design and then store up to five curves in the hardware. This means you can design (if you wish), a 'house curve' for movies, a flat curve for your favorite music etc. You can even design curves for specific movies and albums. Any of these five curves can be selected by the push of a button on the front of the unit. The only time your PC needs to be connected to the hardware is when uploading new curves.

***** End of manufacturer info *****

So you can have five programmed frequency adjustments (curves) in the hardware at any time - yet be able to upload any new ones at any time. The only item that will not be included is something along the line of a Rad Shack SPL meter. There has been discussion about microphones and mic pre-amps to use to take readings back to the program, but the Rad Shack is the minimal addition you will need ($40). They will even include a program that generates 1/12 octove frequencies for testing and a graphing program showing you the response you are getting. Find your four most severe problems and fix them (boost or reduction) and program the DSP with them.

The unit has two RCA in and two RCA out - no XLR at this time, and a USB connection.

What is this product called: R-DES and will be priced at $399 during its initial release.

The only reservations I have about this product, is the company is notorious for relelasing products much later than announced. But the last post that I have read on R-DES, is the product is about 30 days or so away from release. This product was shown at CES and received alot of attention and praise from folks.

Dan

The Velodyne SMS-1 will retail for $499 and will have the onscreen display of the EQ with almost realtime graphs.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=495331&highlight=sms1

Hi,
There are 6 presets available to store different EQ curves, crossovers, phase, etc. With the new software release (2.0), a different EQ curve can be stored with each preset.

The 2.0 release is about to enter beta and is expected to be generally available in March. The upgrade is free of charge and works with all DD subwoofers.

The stand-alone box, called the Digital Drive Subwoofer Management System (SMS-1), will be out in the summer, and also provides the presets, different EQ curves, etc.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Any reviews from Velo DD owners here?

EricE said:
The Velodyne SMS-1 will retail for $499 and will have the onscreen display of the EQ with almost realtime graphs.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=495331&highlight=sms1

Any reviews from Velo DD owners here?

Not of the separate unit, but the DD-line subs are BRILLIANT! Easily among the best normal money can buy. The eq function is great, as well as the extremely powerful amps and servo control. Once heard, never forgotten, although these subs are so unobtrusive and subtle, that once set up, you are bound to forget them however, up till the point when you turn them off!!

It is great to see products like these coming out for room correction without having to buy a particular sub driver/enclosure. It is about time the industry did something like the R-DES and Velodyne units. Then we are free to buy the amp we want - Tube or SS, and the passive unit we want. The perfect combination.

There is also this unit:

http://www.behringer.com/DSP1124P/index.cfm?lang=ENG
The DSP1124P locates feedback frequencies immediately and sets extremely narrow notch filters to “destroy” them, leaving the remainder of the signal virtually untouched. With its various modes you can master just about any live sound situation or use it as a creative sound-shaping tool with 24 bands of fully parametric equalization. Now with 24-bit A/D and D/A converters.

And it retails for $99 :D

Mind you I would only use this for HT subwoofer use and leave 2ch simple without any extra EQ.

Even the review of the Descent sub in Stereophile used the DD rta to fine tune the sub placement, phase and crossover controls.

Velodyne has a hit on their hands with threads all around the HT boards.

I wonder if ML could licence out and integrate the SMS into their line of subs! Now that would be an amazing Sub.

I'm waiting with $$$$ saving up for the SMS-1 but I might just bite the bullet and sell the Servo 15 for a Velo DD-15 or a IB setup with the SMS-1.

EricE said:
I'm waiting with $$$$ saving up for the SMS-1 but I might just bite the bullet and sell the Servo 15 for a Velo DD-15 or a IB setup with the SMS-1.

Yeah, I am also waiting on the SMS-1. Last info I heard is late summer (july?) and MSRP will be $750. Works with any sub either from preamp out, or LFE. RCA, XLR, etc. etc.

Dan

I thought msrp was going to be $499 for the unit.... :confused:

If it's that much, I've already priced out pro-sound equipment that could do much if not all (maybe even more) for around $400

RTA 31 band with 31bands of eq with the option of 12 bands of parametric EQ for $300. Mike and required cables<$100. If you need phase and crossover controls that adds a bit more to the price but something less than $200. The only thing is that it is not an integrated all in one unit like the SMS-1.

I would only use it for bass EQ'ing though even though it would be possible to EQ the entire spectrum. I would leave the main LR logans untouched by the EQ.

EricE said:
I thought msrp was going to be $499 for the unit....

That price is what was said over at AVS. The lastest info I recevied via email from someone at Velodyne - not Bruce Hall. So, there is no way to tell the actual price until it comes out. Yes, I agree...confusing...

Dan

EricE said:

Buy the DD-15 and don't ever look back... :D It's amazing...

garmtz said:
Buy the DD-15 and don't ever look back... :D It's amazing...

You're killing me Garmtz :(
I've just spent this years mod money for the HT on the Ascent i's and now you have me thinking of a new sub!!!!

Could you realy tell the difference between the sub being EQ'd flat and no EQ at all on the DD-15?

EricE said:
You're killing me Garmtz :(
Could you realy tell the difference between the sub being EQ'd flat and no EQ at all on the DD-15?

Sorry for the late reply... The difference between an eq-ed sub and a non-eq-ed one can be STAGGERING! Unless you have the perfect spot and a perfect graph without it of course, which I do have experienced installing different DD's, but it is extremely rare...

EricE said:
I thought msrp was going to be $499 for the unit.... :confused:

New updated post over at AVS by Velodyne person on SMS-1: Price around $500 and currently scheduled for release Aug/Sept time frame...

Dan

Here is part of the text:

Hi All,

The SMS-1 (separate component) will be out sometime in the Aug/Sept time
frame. We are projecting a price of $500. It will have the features of the
DD series subs which among other things includes an eight band parametric
equalization system. Yes it will offer more flexibility than the SPL-R
subwoofers. It will be a great addition to any quality subwoofer.

YESSSSSSS :D

Are there any mail order places for Velodyne subs ;)
Canadian price will be double for sure!!!! :mad:

More updates on the SMS-1 from AVSForum....

The SMS-1 should be available in the Sept/Oct time frame. It will provide the features of the DD series in a separate component.

DTB300 said:
More updates on the SMS-1 from AVSForum....

The SMS-1 should be available in the Sept/Oct time frame. It will provide the features of the DD series in a separate component.

Can you direct me to the actual thread. That board is so huge.

Subwoofer section...Velodyne Official thread. You just have to weed through all the other Velodyne talk in the thread as the last time I looked it was 49 pages worth of talk...

Thanks DTB300.

I guess we're all waiting for this thing to come out.
I just hope they don't raise the price because of the hype :mad:

Latest posts

Back