Dolby Atmos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Dolby Atmos will require more ML speakers and a Processor which can deliver Dolby Atmos sound. Is this kind of system possible in a Home Theater? Would ML speaker be better suited to a Dolby Atmos Home Theater?

Attachments

• Dolby-Atmos-Theatre.jpg
    Dolby-Atmos-Theatre.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 523
  • dolbytheaterclean.jpg
    dolbytheaterclean.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 645
  • startrek2009wallpape.jpg
    startrek2009wallpape.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 492
  • 350x700px-LL-21613ef4_11.1idea.jpg
    350x700px-LL-21613ef4_11.1idea.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 805
Hi Robin, good to see you back.

I plan to do an Atmos setup as soon as the processors and software are out.

For the multiple ceiling speakers, I'd use an array of Motion-series speakers. Or, more likely, use multiple Emotiva Activ 6's which also have the folded motion tweeter, but are active crossover and fully bi-ammped. Just feed it power + balanced inputs and you are set.

The funny thing is that when I designed and built my dedicated HT, I actually planned for a height channel, so there are power outlets along with a run of speaker cable and coax (planning for digital distribution, even as far back as 1999), so I'm all set to run as many as 16 height speakers thanks to that pre-planning.

This kind of setup would require huge ceilings and an entirely new build. For the standard home setup its not possible I think, I dont think there are going to many blurays with this information encoded as its designed to get people back into the theater

I don't know. I think we will start to see overhead channels of some sort in the next few years. It really is the next logical step. Basically, all you need it is 11 speakers plus a sub (Front right, left and center, right side high and low, left side high and low, rear right high and low, and rear left high and low).

I think it will come. Can't say when, though...

4K with Dolby Atmos

Jon, good to hear from you as well. Excellent forward thinking to have designed ceiling power and cabling for your Home Theater. You such a wonderful speaker designer it follows that your HT is already pre set-up to be a theater dome of sound.

projectormovielover, how tall of a ceiling do you think would be needed for a Dolby Atmos HT? I know the standard floor to ceiling height for homes in California is approx. 7' 11"...

Bevensee, My son tells me that someday in the near future we will begin to see 4K High Frame Rate (HFR) films on discs the size of a DVD / Blue Ray, maybe they will be encoded with Dolby Atmos sound as well. What do you think?

I thought the ceiling height needed was 24 ft for the proper effect but as it makes its way to the home app it most likely would be factored into the design of the pre. Even so you would still need around 12 foot for that effect would be my rough estimate with the spacing. I have a couple of friends who use width channels in room that has a width of 13 ft lol, I think it sounds cluttered and that kind of ambiance does more harm than good to my untrained ears

Bevensee, My son tells me that someday in the near future we will begin to see 4K High Frame Rate (HFR) films on discs the size of a DVD / Blue Ray, maybe they will be encoded with Dolby Atmos sound as well. What do you think?
I tend to agree, although in the long run, I believe the days of discs are numbered. I am a university researcher working on fiber to the home and optical/wireless integration. All research points in the direction of at least 1 Gbit/s to the end user. My own group has demonstrated 100 Gbit/s wireless transmission in the unlicensed W-band over very short distance using photonic signal generation methods. The signals can be transported over fiber to the end user, where it will be converted to wireless at a home gateway unit. This is still research, but the trends are in that direction.

PJmovielover- While there is probably some minimum practical height, you do not need super-high ceilings to make this work. matter of fact, the lower the ceiling, the more, smaller speakers you'd need relative to same space with a taller ceiling.
Keep in mind most people have their surround speakers fairly close to them, within 5' in many cases, so in my 10' high ceiling scenario, a ceiling speaker will be around that same distance from the head of the listener (assuming they sit right below one).
Distance here only matters relative to dispersion and inter-speaker mix. Digital delay can make them seem as far away as necessary.

I hardly believe that 7,11" ceilings would be able to accommodate several ceiling speakers, let alone that they would function properly so close to the listener. My guess is 10 - 12' ceiling would be a good start.

Has anyone actually heard this at a theater? I saw someone with a t-shirt for The Hobbit which was given away with the Dolby Atmos promo on the back of it....

Dolby Atmos Rocks!

Hi timm,

Yes, my son and I saw the Hobbit at a Dolby Atmos 3D Xtreme High Frame Rate (HFR) theater in Napa. I counted twelve JVC speakers in the ceiling with the same number on each side and then again in the back for a total of forty-eight speakers visible from our seats. That is not counting the front and center channel speakers behind the screen and not counting the subwoofers. I figure their were at least 60 speakers not counting the subwoofers. The screen was curved and IMAX sized.

The sound was immersively amazing, all encompassing a true dome of dynamic sound. The difference was that any sound occurring from above in the film you heard it in the ceiling speakers, like the dipping of the water in the cave scene with Bilbo and Gollum, or the Giant Eagles coming down to rescue the Hobbits. Together with the HFR and 3D it was a fun experience. The 3D flowed due to the HFR. I did not even notice it was in 3D.:)

I am very jealous you got to experience that Robin as my nearest theater is in Fargo and they use a 2ch cerwin vega setup

The Hobbit vs Zero Dark 30 in Dolby Atmos...

I am very jealous you got to experience that Robin as my nearest theater is in Fargo and they use a 2ch cerwin vega setup

Hi projectormovielover,

Yes, the experience was sooo immersive in the sense that the sound drew my ears into the film whilst my eyes were smoothly and seamlessly drawn further into the film due to the extremely high frame rate in 3D. I was so impressed I went back a couple of weeks ago and saw Zero Dark 30 with my son. The film was excellent and I enjoyed the film immensely but in comparison to Peter Jackson's special effects masterpiece, Zero Dark 30 was not as enveloping. I think The Hobbit was more immersive for several reasons; a). Their were amazing special effect in almost very scene of the film at least 75%. b). Shot with 4K camera's digitally. c). Fantasy vs reality kept me amazed at all of the visual and sonic effects. The Hobbit was just a first-of-its-kind type of film specifically make for this special type of movie theater - Xtreme XD / HFR / 3D theater built to specifically showcase this new kind of film.

It sounds like your HT is much better than the nearest theater in Fargo. :D
I am curious as to what audio gear and ML speakers do you own? Is your system posted in the member systems section?

One of the final factors in my deciding to improve my HT room and system was experiencing The Hobbit at Napa's Dolby Atmos movie theater but it was confirmed by seeing a more dramatic action film like Zero Dark 30, because the sound was so enthralling to my ears. :)

Well I never posted in the showcase , I keep moving around all the time and my gear looks naff in these apartments lol. I run Vista,Stage and source se's hooked up to a Anthem D2 and Anthem amp with all MIT wiring and have a jvc rs 45 projector and a benq dlp for 3d bluray. I had the Epson 5010 on a 146" 235 screen for 3D and your right it smoked my local cinema but the new apartment does not allow the space for the fixed frame screen so I had to sell that stuff off. I am going to buy a Da-lite high power 2.8 gain electrol pull down 159" screen to give good brightness to the jvc in 2d and benq in 3d and utilize the wall where the balcony door is at now.

I need to work on my 2 ch and thats when I feel like I am worthy to post in the user systems ;)

Back