Does the ElectroMotion ESL work well as a center channel?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyngouv

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm using a pair of Spire for front speakers and I just got a very good deal on a single Electromotion so I bought it and using as center channel. What are you guys opinion about this? Does the Electromotion work well as center speaker? Or a Stage would be better? Thanks guys.

I don't know if that speaker is meant to be used as a center speaker. I used to have a pair of ESL's but I upgraded to a pair of Ethos and purchased the new Stage X and it sounds incredible. I have a Mcintosh MC303 hooked up to the fronts and center and it sounds more detailed than going to my local theater. It's an amazing center speaker. Definitely recommend it. I don't think you'll get the same crisp detail from the ESL as you will from the Stage X as far as a center goes IMHO.

I bet it works better than the Stage assuming you have it standing normally and not on its side.

I have the speaker standing vertically without the feet so it could fit under my tv. It doesnt have the high frequency tweeter like the Stage, so would I miss anything sound quality wise? Btw, I got it for 1/10 of the cost of a new Stage X :), so if it really performs better than the Stage then I'm truly happy :). Thanks for everyone's opinion.

JonFo uses a modified SL3 as a center, so you better believe it sounds better than a Stage X!! ;)

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?543-System-45-(Monolith-IIIx-SL3XC-Sequel-II)

I own the Stage and once I find a new home, I plan to use one of my SL3 that I'm using now for L&R fronts as the center. They will be used in my theater room (projector room). As well as a new acoustic transparent screen.

The Stage center will be moved to my living room (for the TV). My ReQuest that are now in the living room will be used as L&R fronts (as well as just for 2 CH listening) in the theater room. And then i'll get some small used ML speakers for the L&R fronts for the TV.

The main thing that I believe you will miss out from not having the tweeter is off axis listening. But there is no way the timbre of that tweeter will be as close of a match as the electrostatic panels to your Electromotion.

Last edited:
Wow! JonFo has a realllly nice theater room... very skillful.

Thanks for the info Peter. I'm truly happy with the purchase now :D. I had a Matinee for center before but I wasn't happy with the sound and the timbre match so I sold it and thought of upgrading to a used Stage for a few hundred dollars more but I found this single Electromotion deal instead, the price was half of what I sold the Matinee for so I couldn't pass it up. :).

Are you going to use 2 SL3 for center or just 1?

Last edited:
Be glad you can get a full size speaker for your center. While it's not 100% match to you L/R it's got to be miles better than any of ML's designated center channel speakers due to the compromises in horizontal MTM's. I'd go that route myself but I'd have to do some weird stuff like hang a full sized speaker from the ceiling or split the panel from the woofer with the panel above the TV and woofer below it but that'd take some serious crossover re-engineering that's much too far out of my league to mess with. I have a large DLP so I can't just move the TV above the speakers.

Trust me I'm very glad :D. Luckily for me, the ElectroMotion's height is a perfect fit under my TV after I took the feet out and its Xstat panel gives the closest match with my L/R. No other Xstat full size tower model will work as center in my situation due the height without serious mods like you mentioned above. The only thing I wish is for the Electromotion's width is at least same size as vista/vantage's. I am thinking about getting a pair of Source as rear speakers too :). How are your Sources working as rear speakers for you?

I am thinking about getting a pair of Source as rear speakers too :). How are your Sources working as rear speakers for you?

They work really good if the source content has a lot of rear channel info as it's very immersive. Once you get used to a full size surround you won't want anything smaller. I was watching a movie not to long ago (sorry I forget which one, I think it might've been Prince of Persia) and a door opened or some sort of noise off camera and it was in the rear right speaker and I looked over cuz I thought something was there in real life and not in the movie. Almost gave me a jolt there for a second. :) I watched Silent Hill yesterday morning and there's a scene where a Jeep drives through a locked fenced gate. Heard the boom up front and the gate rattle in the rear channels perfectly. It was very convincing. :D

Glad to know the Source as rear speakers can give you that real life experience. I missed out a deal on a mint pair of Source last week for $700... will be looking out for another deal. Few months ago I bought a pair of Electromotion as my first real ESL speakers, I was searching for reviews and info on the Electromotion and stumble across your system which really impressed me that you have full ESL fronts and rears. Now I'm following that route also :) but I think it will be too overkilled in my small bedroom... 13x13...lol.

Cool. :D You might be okish if you treat the back wall. Mine is 12.5'x20' but I sit 10-12 feet from the front wall.

I think I'll try the same sound panel like yours. It seems like a good performance/value panel based on reviews. How much difference did it make in your system? I'm waiting for those sellers to bring the price back down to $60 then I'll bite :)

I don't have measurement equipment yet (I should've bought that first but oh well) so all I can say in regards to that is entirely subjective. I feel like the EM ESL's are slighly bright for rock and metal and I feel like the Auralex foam tiles tamed that a tad. Also it seemed as if the room was slightly larger (if that makes sense), I suppose you could say the sound stage was just a tad wider.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean. Regarding to your EM ESL's sound bright, I think they are just transparent so the brightness could come from the equipments, but I could be wrong. I'm currently using these temporarily to treat the front walls, let me know what you think about the effectiveness of these. I cover the front wall with 2 layers of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ils?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1371224772&seller=&sr=8-2

I noticed it helped tame the sound a tad but not sure if it's as effective as the the auralex sound panel. Probably will make a new thread asking other's opinion about it.

Back