Does anyone use ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul172

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is using ML ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos or height channels? If so which model are you using? Thank you.

Since my cathedral ceiling is the roof, and the roof joists are only 2x8's, there's not enough depth for in-ceiling speakers and insulation and air space, so I use surface mounted speakers.

I use 4i speakers for Front and Rear Tops. They work just fine, but bigger would be better. I'm actually pretty amazed at how well they work, but I cut off the bass at 120Hz so they don't need to try too hard, and the low bass is directed to my Expressions since my subs are ONLY for LFE so the bass is awsome.

I use ElectroMotion IW for the Surrounds and Rears and they a MUCH better speakers. The speaker that Robert suggested, the IC, is pretty much the same speaker in a different configuration, so they get my vote for sure.

I'm using a pair of the Electromotion R speakers as my height channels (I'm running a 5.1.2 system). They are slightly larger and go a little deeper than the Electromotion IC's that Robert is using. Then again, if I needed four of them like he did, I may have made a different decision...

I'm using a pair of the Electromotion R speakers as my height channels (I'm running a 5.1.2 system). They are slightly larger and go a little deeper than the Electromotion IC's that Robert is using. Then again, if I needed four of them like he did, I may have made a different decision...
Yeah, i was trying to keep cost down. I really think since the atmos speakers arent called on as much as the other channels that you can get away with not having bigger woofers. I could be wrong, but do those channels get called on to do much bass? I think the crossover from the receiver/pre amp is usually not set that low anyhow.

Those Rs look nice though!

Yeah, i was trying to keep cost down. I really think since the atmos speakers arent called on as much as the other channels that you can get away with not having bigger woofers. I could be wrong, but do those channels get called on to do much bass? I think the crossover from the receiver/pre amp is usually not set that low anyhow.

Those Rs look nice though!
You are not wrong. Assuming the budget is there, go for it. But like you say, ATMOS isn't as active as everything else. My 4i speakers are good enough, but if I had a normal ceiling I would get the same as you. I think those are the sweet spot for ATMOS speakers.

edit: You know what? I didn't read something correctly before. I missed the word "bass". Actually there is bass in the ATMOS speakers just like everything else. But, those speakers don't get "called on as much", and that's the part that I was responding to. So, you're wrong, and so was I, but I mean that in the best possible way.

So to recap: Bass yes, lots of use compared to other channels - not as much.

Last edited:
I was and continue to be impressed with my ML Helos 100s as rears in the 5.2 living room system and rear surrounds in the 7.2 theater. I would think the options stated above would give similar results. They are an excellent tonal match in both systems and have more presence then I expected (likely due to the 8” driver). We do a fair amount of 5 channel stereo for entertaining due to the size of the space / speaker location in the living room system and it definitely fills the room.

Last edited:
I’ve used ML Stealth for Atmos and actually all my surrounds. Like then a lot they are quite well constructed and sound great. Nice bass that you normally do not get from less expensive speakers. My son but the newer set in and was even more impressed. These are huge speakers so make sure you have the room to install particularly in a Basement ceiling. Highly recommend

I am using 4 Electromotion IC's in the ceiling. Also have 2 FX 2 for the rear, and an Electromotion ESL for the center. I purchased this combination after spending a lot of time with ML personnel trying to match with a pair of 30 year old Sequel 2's. I also went with the Dynamo 800, and I think the whole thing sounds pretty amazing. I have a Marantz SR6014 powering the ceiling and rears. I have a Marantz MM7055 bi-amped to the Sequels and the remaining channel for the center.

Back