Do you use Electrical Surge protectors? (EU Residents)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
What is everyone here using for surge protection on your ML's? (European Union Residents Please).

I recently moved to Warsaw, and since moving here, I don't see, or perhaps recognize the surge protectors I once had in the U.S.

In the states they would be built into the electrical outlet and could be specified as Hospital Grade. If they blew, you just hit a small 'reset' switch. Here in the EU, I don't see anything of the sort, except for extension cords with surge protection.

I'm also not very fond of extension cords, since my wife and I are building an Ultra modern home... everything- plugs, wires, etc, must be hidden, or minimzed from plain view.

My wall outlet is "Type E" (see below)
http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think you should have it...

Hola. Here in Costa Rica, the A.C. line is not too dirty, but you can tell, even that you know that it is not too contaminated, you have some dirt. There are many surge suppressors on the market today. I do recommend Panamax brand. I don't know if they are available easy where you live, but here it is. This is the tropic, (Costa Rica) and a lot of thunder and lighting storms during all year we have. I can say that this Panamax brand has done their homework regarding as a surge protector. Try to hear a demo...they have a special tester where you listen the A.C. dirt, and connected this tester to theirs, no noise at all. I was really shock whith their demostration of their goods and now they have a new client...me...perhaps you too!
Happy listening, trust your ears!
Roberto.

Cannot answer your question but to carry further on this topic...

I personally don't like the surge protection strips for the same reason as you mentioned, but just can't do without them. What you mentioned, the wall socket with a small reset switch, would be cool. But I haven't really seen it. And are they reliable?

Could you use those same US wall sockets in your home? Then just use US spec power cables with the 3 prongs for all your HiFi equipments. My friends in Hong Kong (with EU or British wall socket system) all use US spec power systems except from the wall to the surge protectors connection.

It would be cool if there are power cables out there with a built in reset switch in the plug. Just for surge protection, no funny business to the power current, no filtering.

SugarMedia said:
In the states they would be built into the electrical outlet and could be specified as Hospital Grade. If they blew, you just hit a small 'reset' switch. Here in the EU, I don't see anything of the sort, except for extension cords with surge protection.

Thanks.

Hi,
I beleive what you are referring to here is a GFI (ground fault inturrupter) outlet box, not a surge supressor. What it does is monitor the AC current on both the line and neutral wires. If they don't match, then there is current going somewhere it shouldn't (like through you), and it trips the relay. Once the problem is fixed, you push the reset button. These are generally used where water is likely to be present (bathrooms, kitchens, and around pools typically).

HTH,
Peter

Peter-

Yes, I believe you are correct about that reset switch serving only that function.

Anyway, I'm having a difficult time finding a high quality surge protector...

Brick Wall or Zero Surge are some of the best Surge Protectors out there for just that - Surge Protection. Nice price too.

I use a PS Audio P600 Power Plant

I recently moved to Europe (Germany) and brought my PS Audio P600. I use it to power my whole system, including my CLSIIz'es. In addition to clean power and surge protection, the P600 provides voltage conversion. I am really surprised more Europeans don't buy these units? They are not too expensive when bought used from the U.S. (especially given the current exchange rates) and would allow Europeans to use 110-120V gear with no problems. Stereo gear here in the EU is MUCH more expensive than North America.

-Alex

SugarMedia said:
I'm also not very fond of extension cords, since my wife and I are building an Ultra modern home... everything- plugs, wires, etc, must be hidden, or minimzed from plain view.
Again, not sure if this works with your Type E outlet but it's tempting for me for the same "clean room" reason.

Transparent PowerBank 2

Guys, I appreciate the replys... however, they are of no use to me if the surge protector is not specifically made for the Euro-plug. Turn the table-would you want a Euro Powersurge Protector for your US plugs?

I've lived in the States for 30 years and am fairly familiar with what is on the US market. Ideally, I am trying to find out what other Europeans are using since there is very little information on it over here as Alexl911 pointed out.

Again, if you can lead me to a website with a Euro-specific power surge protector, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

DTB300-

The Zero Surge is a fine piece of equipment...the guy there "thinks" they may be able to custom make one for me. Sure would be nice, but we'll see...

Pat-

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Although they don't seem to be as industrial as some of the US counterparts, I do believe it will give me what I'm looking for.

..and you're not kidding about the price of Electronics in Europe. What I'm spending on stereo equipment over here is equivelent to what some make in an entire year...very sad. In addition, having to add a 22% VAT tax on every electronic is less than desireable.

Back