Do you keep your boxes?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68sting

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm at a point were storing my Ascent i, Theater, and Script boxes have become a burden. Just wondering how many of you keep your boxes. I don't forsee selling any time soon but when the time comes it would be hard to ship with out the original packing and boxes.

Thanks
Lance

68sting said:
Hello all

I'm at a point were storing my Ascent i, Theater, and Script boxes have become a burden. Just wondering how many of you keep your boxes. I don't forsee selling any time soon but when the time comes it would be hard to ship with out the original packing and boxes.

Thanks
Lance

Mine are in my garage stacked against the wall. Keep in mind, I don't have a wife so there is nobody to complain about them either. I use on of the labels on the box to measure when to stop my car after pulling in too! When my passenger side mirror reaches it, I stop. Great tool! :D

Always keep the original boxes, in case you sell or you need to ship it out for warranty repair (if they cant fix it by sending you a replacement component). I never throw away boxes that might come handy sooner or later.

68sting said:
Hello all ... Just wondering how many of you keep your boxes. I don't forsee selling any time soon but when the time comes it would be hard to ship with out the original packing and boxes.
Lance
keep the boxes - best way to ship things if they need repair. i think it what MarkLevinson that would charge you for new boxes if you shipped the equipment to them without original packaging - and their boxes where wooden crates.

i also have my boxes on shelves (and shelves and shelves) in the garage, but two tips.

boxes nest. my CLS boxe contains about 6 other boxes, and some of those contain other boxes too. very important: when you next bexes, write on the outside what is inside. i once went through every box i owned looking for a particular amp box.

the other thing you can do is collapse the box and then all you need to do is keep track of the styro inserts.

cheers

ML Speaker Boxes...

68sting,

Sadly, I do not have the speaker boxes for my Ascent i's, Descent and Theater i, because as part of the tax free deal, I negociated I had to take the speakers from the dealer that same day in my rented van during our 2004 vacation. Unfortunately, the speakers where so large they did not fit in the van with the boxes. I had to pack them in bankets and drive them 16 hours from Oregon to California, leaving those wonderful ML speaker boxes behind. In hind sight, I should have found a way to pay Magnolia Hi-Fi to ship the empty boxes to me in California. Oh well live and learn... :rolleyes:
IMHO, try to find a way to save your boxes, if at all possible, for the above listed reasons in the other posts.

Good luck.

Cheers

-Robin

always save boxes as people have stated WARANTY ISSUES , OR MOVING ISSUES

I keep all the boxes, and I tell you, boxes for Monoliths are *huge*!

But as mentioned above, nesting works wonders for space management. Tagging is good too.

Another thing to watch for: Humidity. I live in GA and keep then in a storage area under my Home Theater. To ensure the boxes stay in good condition, I have a dehumidifier down there piped with a hose to drain the water. It runs all summer long ;-)

Don’t want to be faced with disintegrating boxes just when you need them most.

I keep all my boxes. It helps for reselling, and moving.

Unfortunately my ascents only came with one box and my theater center did not have a box

If any one has a box for the Ascent and or Theater, and dosent need them anymore I would love to buy them from you.

Zip3kx07 said:
I keep all my boxes. It helps for reselling, and moving.

Unfortunately my ascents only came with one box and my theater center did not have a box

If any one has a box for the Ascent and or Theater, and dosent need them anymore I would love to buy them from you.

i bought a pair of scripts used with out boxes. ML was happy to sell me boxes, and ship them to the seller so that he could ship them to me properly. he didn't, but that's a different story.

if you want Ascent or Theater boxes, try ML (and have the serial numbers as boxes apparently change over production runs...)

zaphod said:
i bought a pair of scripts used with out boxes. ML was happy to sell me boxes, and ship them to the seller so that he could ship them to me properly. he didn't, but that's a different story.

if you want Ascent or Theater boxes, try ML (and have the serial numbers as boxes apparently change over production runs...)

I have thought about, but I here the replacment boxes from Martin Logan are "FE" (F***ing Expensive).

My CLS boxes are in the rafters of the garage. I keep the boxes for all my gear, as you never know when you might need to return it for repair, move or (heaven forbid) sell it.

Last edited:
Zip3kx07 said:
I have thought about, but I here the replacment boxes from Martin Logan are "FE" (F***ing Expensive).

i am pretty sure i paid about 120 for a pair of boxes, shipping included. when you take into consideration that they had to cast (inject/build) the custom foam end pieces for me i don't think that's too far out of line.

Just finished Nesting My Audio Boxes Finally...

Well, I finally got together with my son and we nested all my speaker boxes in the garage, right above my 2004 Prius... :) We used the same method, for nesting the speaker boxes as we had done with my Script i's, with the exception of using cotton / nylon reinforced laundry line (instead of metal cabling covered in clear plastic). We nested the Script i, the Anthem P5, Pioneer VSX 59 Txi, and emachines boxes. Quite an accomplishment, only a couple of hours of work, for a Labor Day weekend... ;)

:( My Sequel IIs came in their original boxes from '89! I threw them away the other day though because:

a) I have NO room for them, I took them to my storage locker and they wouldn't even fit there.
b) They were in REALLY sad shape. The cardboard was de-laminating into thin sheets of paper.

It would be nice to have kept them, but I think I'll survive. :)

68sting said:
Hello all

Thanks
Lance
You must keep the boxes! Eventually you will move or sell what you have.

Rik_Rankin said:
You must keep the boxes! Eventually you will move or sell what you have.
Agreed. I just moved last year and I would have been very nervous if I didn't have all of my original box's.

That being said, I do have original box's for everything in my system except for (you guessed it) my ReQuests. When we moved I had one load that was nothing but the speakers, surrounded in bubble wrap, covered in blankets, and supported /wedged in by couch cushions, pillows etc. They were babied the entire way over.

Note to self; don't store cardboard box's on the ground in a crawlspace in Colorado. The floor gets damp. ReQuest box's were on the bottom and got ruined. Everything else (on top) survived.

MiTT said:
Agreed. I just moved last year and I would have been very nervous if I didn't have all of my original box's.

That being said, I do have original box's for everything in my system except for (you guessed it) my ReQuests. When we moved I had one load that was nothing but the speakers, surrounded in bubble wrap, covered in blankets, and supported /wedged in by couch cushions, pillows etc. They were babied the entire way over.

Note to self; don't store cardboard box's on the ground in a crawlspace in Colorado. The floor gets damp. ReQuest box's were on the bottom and got ruined. Everything else (on top) survived.
Hola Tim...just thinking loud, perhaps you could re-build the boxes using duct tape, the same that is used on air conditioning. Same thing happened to me, and I could fixed it with this kind of tape. Don´t throw the boxes away, you´ll never know when you might need them...happy listening,
Roberto.

I always keep all my boxes....I have boxes for equipment going back to '92. I've had my ReQuest boxes for almost ten years(drives my wife crazy) I just can't see getting rid of them for all the reasons stated above..

roberto said:
Hola Tim...just thinking loud, perhaps you could re-build the boxes using duct tape, the same that is used on air conditioning. Same thing happened to me, and I could fixed it with this kind of tape. Don´t throw the boxes away, you´ll never know when you might need them...happy listening,
Roberto.
I thought about it Roberto, except they had actually begun to have mold grow on the inside and outside. I didn't want to expose the speakers to any little spores or anything. Should I need to move again someday (not bloody likely if I can help it), I'll make arrangements some other way.

Come to think of it, I hate moving so much that they'll have to haul me outa here in a pine box - in which case they can just dump my carcass on a bonfire or landfill somewhere and use the pine box to move the speakers one at a time!

Last edited:
Back