Do you ever use headphones?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
When you can't listen to your ML's for whatever reason, (kids sleeping, wife, etc). Do you have a favorite brand of Headphones you enjoy?"

I have two sets of phones and I never use them. I haven't used them in years since my kids were little. I have two old sets now. I have an old Koss AA headset that is heavy but still very good. I also have a light weight pair of AKG's that the foam now needs attention. Both are/were good. Since my baby is 19 and rarely home except when she comes home to suck money from me, the need has somewhat gone away.

Jeff

Grado SR-80's driven from the phone jack of the TAD-150

I have a pair of Audio-Tecnica Electret stereophones (ATH-8)that I purchased in the early 80's while stationed in Japan. Very similar to Electrostatic headphones. Crystal clear sound. I don't use them much anymore. I have them hooked up to the TV in the bedroom so I can watch TV without disturbing my other half.

Last edited:
I've a AKG Hearo 777, which I use when I watch a DVD quite late in the evening, or when I'm in the mood to listen to music at indecent hours...

But really, the MLs are so good that I tend to use hearphones less and les... as if I was somewhat wasting my listening session without them...

SugarMedia said:
When you can't listen to your ML's for whatever reason, (kids sleeping, wife, etc). Do you have a favorite brand of Headphones you enjoy?"

at the office an old set of AKG 140S's

SugarMedia said:

Hi,
I have an old set of Kos Pro AAA's that sound very good, however they are now occasionally intermittent in one channel. I recently got a new set of Sennheiser HD-600's. Those sound absolutely great.

Peter

Of course! For ML lovers, one brand stands out: Stax

SugarMedia said:
I use headphones quite frequently and I favor the Stax electrostatics. ;)

- For serious listening when it is late, I love my set of Stax SR-404 Signature Earspeakers, driven by a Stax SRM-006t Vacuum Tube Output Drive Unit.

- While working and when the wife or kids are downstairs and at their computers, I use an old set of Stax SRX Mk III Earspeakers, with the adapter hooked to a YBA Intégré DT Amplifier.

- When away from home, I always bring a set of Sennheiser PX-200, connected to my notebook via an Echo Indigo PC Card. This way, I have access to music and DVDs that I like and spend less time watching TV in hotel rooms! :D

Cheers,

Sennheiser HD-600's driven by a Creek OBH-11 SE. Or if I feel like ignoring the world, Ears EM 3's (these are beautiful little items when there is a screaming baby the row behind you on an airplane).

-D

Aside from my ML Mosaics, I use:

Sennheiser HD650: (http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=USHD650)
hd650.jpg

HeadAmp GS-1 Headphone Amplifier: (http://www.headamp.com/home_amps/gs1/index.htm)
gs1_inside_large.jpg

Grado RS-1's, Grado RA-1 (headphone amp). They are fantastic but after extended listening can get uncomfortable.

You know what would really be interesting? If someone started a poll and everyone voted for what they thought were the best sounding headphones. Now there is a little selfishness on my part for saying that and perhaps I should explain. I do not have any headphones but would like to buy some. So, that would help me decide what to buy. :) Plus, I really think it would be interesting. I don't even know what all brands are out there so anytime there is a new post in this thread, I am quick to read it. I figure that this thread has been an educational experience for me. Actually, most of the threads here have been educational experiences. (Jeff - Go for it...) I am certainly apprecaitive of that folks!

MarkNewbie said:
You know what would really be interesting? If someone started a poll and everyone voted for what they thought were the best sounding headphones. Now there is a little selfishness on my part for saying that and perhaps I should explain. I do not have any headphones but would like to buy some. So, that would help me decide what to buy. :) Plus, I really think it would be interesting. I don't even know what all brands are out there so anytime there is a new post in this thread, I am quick to read it. I figure that this thread has been an educational experience for me. Actually, most of the threads here have been educational experiences. (Jeff - Go for it...) I am certainly apprecaitive of that folks!

You want a poll of headphones? How about the one I made on headfi?
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124410

How about this other poll on headfi regarding the best $500 headphone?
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130851

How about a headphone poll on hardforums?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=916691

What you will see are 3 recent headphone polls and unanimously, the best or atleast most popular one seems to be the Sennheiser HD650 - mine.... *yay*!

Anyway, once you get your headphone, you can work on your stand... yes, another poll by me, here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124984

MarkNewbie said:

Mark,
No ding at all. I believe that when you stop learning you need to quit. Persoanlly I never want to stop learning and I too have learned a lot here.

BTW, I have 2 pairs of headphones and neither one has been used in at least 10 years. I have a very old pair of Koss Pro 4 AAA's and I think an AKG or Sennheiser but it has been so long that I am not sure. :confused:

My kids are grown and for the most part never here so headphones are not a neccessity.

Jeff :cool:

I use the Stax Lambda Signature with SRM-3 solid state class a energiser. Happens to be an electrostatic headphone... :D Better than all the dynamic headphones I tried.

garmtz said:
I use the Stax Lambda Signature with SRM-3 solid state class a energiser. Happens to be an electrostatic headphone... :D Better than all the dynamic headphones I tried.

Yup.. that's a niice headphone. ;)

Back