Quantcast

Do replacement panels age?

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

headdead

Reaction score
Ha.
I lost my 1988 Carrera 5sp to a garage fire.
Replaced it with a Boxster S, which blew up. What a tragic mistake.
Enjoy the 911.

Robert D

Reaction score
Ha.
I lost my 1988 Carrera 5sp to a garage fire.
Replaced it with a Boxster S, which blew up. What a tragic mistake.
Enjoy the 911.
Wow, bad luck. From what I understand, the Boxster today is just as reliable as the 911. Your Boxster perhaps was an early model? Like many cars, early models have a few issues.

My turbo which has a Metzger engine, has two big issues that I had to deal with. Both cost me big $$$. It is what it is.

Kinda like spending nearly $3k on 20 year old speakers. My car is 13 years old.

Russr

Reaction score
Interesting thread...
About 18 years ago, the electrical contractor that installed power in my townhome were kind enough to buy me replacement panels for my SL3's and Aerius'es (courtesy of a cable guy's shot shovel, aluminum 110V legs into my house and a distinct lack of conduit)... the explosion on a lazy, rainy Sunday and totally vaporized aluminum was an interesting experience!

Anyways, I called ML to ask advice, and I think it was Jim (might have been Ron... this is back in2002) who was telling me that before I swapped the new panels in, I should take the old panels (they were arcing a bit), put them in my bathtub, and pour distilled water over them... A lot of distilled water! Let them dry, and try 'em out.

Well, I've had the spare Aerius & SL3 panels in the original shipping boxed in my (slightly environmentally controlled) garage ever since!

Might have a look at them to check if they've turned to dust! Oh, hang on... it's 2020... they might have been posessed by Amun-Ra, or some such!

Russ

roni44

Reaction score
Does anyone here know replacement panel for legacy models is Gen 2 or Xstat?