Quantcast

Do It Yourself “DIY” forum.

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

Reverb

Reaction score
How about a Do it yourself forum for DIY acoustic treatments, Cables, ETC.

I was thinking about making some DIY acoustic treatments, I also have a custom floor stand in the works for my theater center channel. I can do some work logs/how to: threads with photos. If anyone is interested?

aliveatfive

Reaction score
Joe -

I like your idea. I used to love to build (or modify) electronic kits. I've built an Ampzilla (200 wpc solid state power amp) and many others. DIY is supposed to be a dead item in our hobby. Let's bring it back!

SugarMedia

Reaction score
I like the idea too. Over the long haul there could be some rather interesting things posted. (with pictures, and step by step instructions please)

Reverb

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

We will have to see what Tom thinks about it?

A few Martin Logan owners on the AVSforum have mentioned seeing this site and not being interested in it because of a lack of content, so I have been trying to think of way for us to add more content.

Last edited:

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lack of content???

Lack of content? I don't get it. This is a very specialized site. AVSforum is focking HUGE, with everything under the sun relating to audio/video. They've got tons of disk space/bandwidth and tons of advertising all over the place.
I'm totally willing to make this site whatever you guys want it to be (as long as it's relevant to ML) and am open to suggestions.

Recommended Amps... DONE. Content: 2 posts.

I'll put up a DIY section and we'll see where it goes.

Tom.

Last edited:

SugarMedia

Reaction score
I think we'll just have to make a clear distinction between what is a tweak and what is a DIY. The two could overlap some.

As far as the AVS forum, I don't particularily care for it b/c it is not ML specific as Tom pointed out.

And Tom, why haven't you placed some some click on type ad banners down at the bottom of the page? Every time we click their ad they pay you. Plus click ons are not intrusive like pop ups.

Attachments

Last edited:

Reverb

Reaction score
SugarMedia said:
I think we'll just have to make a clear distinction between what is a tweak and what is a DIY. The two could overlap some.
To me a tweak is a modification to an existing product, like replacing/upgrading compasitors. DIY is scratch building something your self, like buying wire and making your own speaker cable, or going down to home depot to buy woof and fiberglass to make your Owen room treatments.

Jon Fo just started a thread in the main discussion forum over the weekend on a custom built center channel from a Martin Logan aeries he is putting together, would you classify this is DIY?

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2018

Reverb

Reaction score
Thanks Tom,

As for the AVSforum I see both sides of the story, there is a lot more information over there, and not just audio but on every thing, projectors, HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players, Speakers, Amps, Home Theater construction. There is a member over there (Sandman X) building his own custom Martin Logan HT in his garage. I know what you thinking, his garage? How good could it be? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7215171&&#post7215171

It’s too bad we don’t get stuff here like that.

Last edited:

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Staff member
Reaction score
SugarMedia said:
And Tom, why haven't you placed some some click on type ad banners down at the bottom of the page? Every time we click their ad they pay you. Plus click ons are not intrusive like pop ups.
I don't have the slightest clue how to go about getting advertisers on the site.. Jason our fearless leader who has been very scarce on the site as of late, was going to be doing stuff like this.... If any of you folks know how to do this, please pick up the ball and run with it!

Thanks.

Tom.

Latest posts