Do I need a preamp?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ModWright

Thanks, Steve.
The ModWright looks really interesting and the price is right; how do you like it?

love it, very transparent, liquid, dynamic, definitely one of the very best in this price range.

Regarding the ModWright linestage

rob725 said:
The ModWright looks really interesting and the price is right; how do you like it?
I see that you're considering the Cary SLP-98 and the ModWright. You can do a search on ModWright on these boards, or click on my system #27 (below) and scroll down toward the bottom to see my "review" of the ModWright. Basically, I started looking for the Cary and ended up with the ModWright.

Spike

Thanks Steve and Spike. Great info! I think I'm gonna take the plunge.

Robin said:
Mark,

How long do you think your Red Bank tubes will last? How many hours of usage? Red Bank tubes are soooo cool... :D

You know, I have read a minimum of 10,000 hours. From what I have found out about them, they were made in Bendix's Red Bank, NJ factory. Hence, the "Red Bank" moniker. They were designed to withstand the rigors of riding atop an ICBM (Inter-Continental-Ballistic-Missle) without failing. The articles say that they NEVER failed which is pretty unreal in itself. Prior to their introduction, the Ruskies made the best tube out there for guidance purposes. So you can imagine how difficult it would have been for our Military to obtain them. Bendix Corporation, not known for tube manufacturing, rose to the call and these babies were the best of the best! They are so rare that I have not been able to find anything telling me of a failure rate or time period in audio usage.

Mark,

I find reference to 6094 and 6384 type red banks. Does it matter which type?

Yes!!!! Forgive me for leaving that out! You want the 6385s ONLY. The 6094s and the 6384s are quite easy to find! The 6385s are very tough to find and you can expect to pay at least $100.00 each if you do find them. Try doing a google search and input "Bendix Red Bank 6385" and see what comes up. I searched for a few months before I found any available. Good luck and if I see any out there, I'll get a message to you on here pronto! Also, in looking for a Pre-Amp, check out the Macs. The one that I have seems to hold its value and they get snatched up very quickly on the used market. I also have some nice pics of it in the systems forum. I have not rolled any tubes in it as of yet but that will be one of my next steps. I have read that the Mullards are a great roll, just have not made the investment as I am very satisfied with what I hear currently! :cool:

Last edited:
Great stuff, Mark. There's something irresistably exotic about using the best ICBM tubes ever to play my CDs!!!!

I went ahead and spoke to Dan Wright at ModWright. He felt that I was giving up alot by not using an active preamp. He also said that he had worked with Butler amps quite a bit and thought they were a good combo.

I went ahead and placed my order, but unfortunately it will be about 2 weeks before he can ship, due to an order of fubar'd face plates he had to reorder.

Congrats!

rob725 said:
I went ahead and placed my order, but unfortunately it will be about 2 weeks before he can ship, due to an order of fubar'd face plates he had to reorder.
Good work picking the ModWright. In my opinion, the ModWright will complement the rest of your system, bringing the performance up a notch. Hmm, where have I heard that line before... "BAM! kick it up a notch" :D Now, if you can twist Dan's arms and get him to throw in the TungSol tubes... Hahaha.
Please post back and let us know how your system does, after you've spent some times to let it settled down, of course.

Spike

Actually, he threw in the tungsols without me asking! He seems like a great guy. Its killing me to wait two weeks. :rolleyes:

rob725 said:
Actually, he threw in the tungsols without me asking! He seems like a great guy. Its killing me to wait two weeks.
Dan's work is well worth the wait as they do things right the first time. Anyone thinking of purchasing equipment or having mods done by Dan @ Modwright, I can whole heartedly recommend him and his services. Great customer service, product produced when promised, always there to answer any questions later on.

Dan

Back