DIY Ripole Subs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

Jazzman53

Reaction score
I've just finished building a pair of Ripole subs for a friend who liked mine. These are the second pair I've built, and they turned out very nice.

As far as I know; you can't buy them from any manufacturer, but they are gaining popularity on the DIY Audio Forum.

The Ripole design came from a German speaker builder named Axel Ridtahler. Hence; the name "Ripole" is short for a Ridtahler dipole. It's basically a dipole with its baffle folded around a pair of opposing drivers in a push-push configuration.

Ripoles project a cardioid radiation pattern which blends quite well with ESL's, and their off-axis null makes them less prone to exciting the room's resonance modes, compared to conventional subs.

The pair shown below has woofer cases made from 3/4 AA red oak plywood with quarter-round oak moldings along the box edges.

The center C-section portion is made from 7/8" white oak planks stained a contrasting color, and aligned to the woofer cases with dowels. The three-part assembly is bolted together with (4) 1/4-24 all thread rods and button-head cap nuts.

Each sub uses a pair of 12" Peerless SLS woofers, wired in parallel and same phase (i.e. a push-push).

The build was a lot of work but they are unique subs and I really like their compact size and clean, unobtrusive sound.

The bass notes just seem to rise up from nowhere and recede back to nowhere-- completely un-localizable.

I have CAD drawings if anyone is interested.

Ripole Front.JPG

Ripole rear.JPG

Last edited:

ttocs

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool! Nicely done!

I experimented with cardioid setup using multiple subs, but it takes up too much room so wasn't good for the amount of space I have. So this design is very interesting.

Jazzman53

Reaction score
Very cool! Nicely done!

I experimented with cardioid setup using multiple subs, but it takes up too much room so wasn't good for the amount of space I have. So this design is very interesting.
They are so compact; the woofer magnets protrude thru the side baffles, lol. These were built for a friend but I have a similar pair (below), and they blend really well with the open baffle woofers in my hybrid ESL's.

image.jpg