DIY cables - but which cable?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphod

Reaction score
hi,

it looks like the cable project is coming together and in early september i'll have the time and resources to install inwall interconnects from the pre/processor to the mono block amps i have near each speaker.

i'll be building the cable myself, so the question is which one. the beg decision is coax versus STP.

i've really been looking at canare starquad, but for years belden 89259 has been status quo for DIY interconnects.

these will be long interconnects, some around 34 feet (once you go up, and then over and then down....). i don't know that i'll always be able to cross 120volt wire at 90 degrees so hum rejection in the cable is pretty important.
thanks

zaphod said:
i've really been looking at canare starquad, but for years belden 89259 has been status quo for DIY interconnects.

these will be long interconnects, some around 34 feet (once you go up, and then over and then down....). i don't know that i'll always be able to cross 120volt wire at 90 degrees so hum rejection in the cable is pretty important.
thanks

DIY IC's huh? Been there - done that. Belden 89259, RG-8, VH-Audio, etc. I have found the VH-Audio to be the best DIY cable out there. It is shielded, which I think you would need for those distances and possibilities of power cords nearby. 89259 is ok, VH-Audio is better, RG-8 is worse.

VH-Audio is said to take quite of bit of time to breakin. I was using some for around 75 hours and it was a little less bright then new, but the owner states hundred of hours for break-in.

I have recently auditioned some Audioquest Cables and I REALLY like them - thanks Zip3kx03!!!. The Copperheads for $75 for 1 Meter is probably the best sounding cable I have auditioned in the 1 Meter range for that price. I have found the King Cobra to be a very nice sounding IC's and you can get them from Audiogon for $100 for 1 Meter ($175 - 1 Meter brand new).

But with your distances, DIY will be the most cost effective way to go.

I would look for a shielded coax type cable and give them a try. For connectors, people are talking good things about the WBT NextGens, but they are $110 for 4. The DH Lab Ultimate RCA is $64 for 4, and the Eichmann Bullet Plugs are $45 (?) for 4. I like the DH Lab better than the Bullet. Never heard the WBT NextGen, but people are saying good things about them.

A lot of discussion on DIY Cables over at the Cable forum on Audio Asylum. Stop by there and do some searching and some extensive reading.

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
I have recently auditioned some Audioquest Cables and I REALLY like them - thanks Zip3kx07!!!. The Copperheads for $75 for 1 Meter is probably the best sounding cable I have auditioned in the 1 Meter range for that price. I have found the King Cobra to be a very nice sounding IC's and you can get them from Audiogon for $100 for 1 Meter ($175 - 1 Meter brand new).

So Dan have you been converted? :D

I take it you got the King Cobra interconnects, what do you think? Do you like them better then the CopperHeads?

I love AudioQuest cables, I have tried other cables and I keep going back to Audioquest. There lower end cables give you a good idea what Audioquest sounds like and the sound keeps getting more and more refined as you move up in the line.

I have seen lots of people try DIY Audioquest copies and they all have said the same, close but to cigar.

zaphod said:
hi,

it looks like the cable project is coming together and in early september i'll have the time and resources to install inwall interconnects from the pre/processor to the mono block amps i have near each speaker.

i'll be building the cable myself, so the question is which one. the beg decision is coax versus STP.

thanks

Wow that is a long run. Sounds like you may want to make some balanced IC's.

DTB300 said:
DIY IC's huh? Been there - done that. Belden 89259, RG-8, VH-Audio, etc. I have found the VH-Audio to be the best DIY cable out there. It is shielded, which I think you would need for those distances and possibilities of power cords nearby. 89259 is ok, VH-Audio is better, RG-8 is worse.

but if i buy the DIY cable form someone, wouldn't that be DIT? (do it themselves :)

DTB300 said:
A lot of discussion on DIY Cables over at the Cable forum on Audio Asylum. Stop by there and do some searching and some extensive reading.
Dan

stopped by. eyes and brain now hurt. don't think i saw a clear winner or preference, (but perhaps i missed it) other than then suspects i had narrowed it down to.

perhaps i'll read some more...

jjqiv said:
Wow that is a long run. Sounds like you may want to make some balanced IC's.

granted, but my monoblocks only accept unbalanced RCA. and while my SP1.7 has balanced outs for the side channels, the rear channels are only supplied in unbalanced rca.

i could convert the unbalanced to balanced and then back again at the amps...

i could also shorten the runs by 8 feet by ripping out the ceiling and going diagonally...

sigh.

zaphod said:
but if i buy the DIY cable form someone, wouldn't that be DIT? (do it themselves :)

You can just buy the cable itself, and do your own terminations.

If interested in Belden, you can pick up the raw cable for around $1.90 - $2.00 per foot.

The guy at Heartland Cables (Dan) uses the Belden Cables and Eichmann Bullet plugs. His 1 Meter Length cost $50. You could always email him and ask him the cost for your length. Then compare price for purchase raw, terminate yourself, versus someone who will do it for you. Belden is not bad, better than Rad Shack.

For the VH Audio Pulsar cable it runs $4.00 - $5.00 per foot. VH-Audio IC's run $130 for 1 Meter with Bullets.

Dan

Take a look at Mogami - Neglex Quad Microphone Cable

Here are a few different versions I did.

cablesets.jpg

Remember, you don't have to have a cable that is shielded for the entire length. Just get the best cable you can afford, and make sure it is shielded in the areas where this is critical. I've done this a number of times and it works well.

And, absolutely, positively don't skimp on the connectors. Johnson Audio makes some great Silver-Plated (pure Copper) solder-less connectors that are hard to beat (especially for the price).

Both Silver and Silver-Plate pure Copper have a great sound, and both keep their good sound for the entire length of the "run." Just remember, some wire is better than others, no matter what the "proclaimed" composition.

Good Luck !!!

Neshamah (Steve)

Back