Dirac room correction and ELS’s

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmort

Reaction score
I’ve an NAD C658 preamp / DAC/Streamer with built in Dirac room correction (base version, not full frequency). My speakers are the EM-ESL’s.
After figuring out how to perform the sound measurements for about 5 spots closely relative to the sweet spot listening position the results were very disappointing.
It destroyed the soundstage, midrange and just made it flat…
Any recommendations for those of us using electrostatics?

Ive been told by several people to not use DSP when listening to music. Personally, I use Audyssey and I think it sounds better than without it.

Maybe try running it one more time?

I've been using Dirac since 2014, first with Vistas, and now with Expressions. My processor uses the full range Dirac 3.0, which is now on Ver: 3.2.3.

I'm not familiar with what the range is for your version.

I use the full range correction for all speakers except for my Expressions. I limit the correction to right around 300-400Hz depending on what the frequency response looks like just above the 300Hz crossover between the woofers and stat panel. So there's not much stat panel frequency range being affected by Dirac.

When I've done full range correction Dirac can do a pretty good job, but quite often Dirac will be confused by the stat panel and over-compensate which can cause a "reverb" effect in extreme cases, or just a lifeless presentation. Rather than deal with it, I just cut it off almost entirely - just for the Expressions. Dirac does a great job with bass.

When Dirac does a good job with the stats I never noticed anything bad when watching movies. It's only for music that I can notice a degraded sound.

I've been using Dirac since 2014, first with Vistas, and now with Expressions. My processor uses the full range Dirac 3.0, which is now on Ver: 3.2.3.

I'm not familiar with what the range is for your version.

I use the full range correction for all speakers except for my Expressions. I limit the correction to right around 300-400Hz depending on what the frequency response looks like just above the 300Hz crossover between the woofers and stat panel. So there's not much stat panel frequency range being affected by Dirac.

When I've done full range correction Dirac can do a pretty good job, but quite often Dirac will be confused by the stat panel and over-compensate which can cause a "reverb" effect in extreme cases, or just a lifeless presentation. Rather than deal with it, I just cut it off almost entirely - just for the Expressions. Dirac does a great job with bass.

When Dirac does a good job with the stats I never noticed anything bad when watching movies. It's only for music that I can notice a degraded sound.
I probably should have stated this is a 2.1 channel setup, music only.

I agree that you should run Dirac below about 500hz or so. that is where the woofers come in and that is where the room tends to take over and cause issues in the upper and lower bass.

I probably should have stated this is a 2.1 channel setup, music only.
I think my reply might be a bit confusing. I only allow Dirac to correct the L&R up to 400Hz maximum right now. My Expressions are run as Large in the processor setup. So whether it's for music or HT makes no difference with how I apply Dirac to my Left and Right Expressions.

Last edited:
Back