Dilemma re Clarity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyVee

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an interesting dilemma. I haven't watched a DVD in months. I put 'The Island' on Saturday night and was absolutely blown away by the sound. Fabulous imaging and good deep bass filling my living room. Just what I excpect from the Clarity's. Not bad for a two channel system and it's pretty consistant from all of my DVD's.

Now, when I listen to music, I am somewhat diappointed. There are a few CD's that sound pretty good but nothing compared to what I get from a movie soundtrack. The CD's include Enigma LSD ReMix, DVD-A of Brothers in Arms, SACD (although I can only play the stereo layer) of Dark Side of the Moon, Donald Fagen's Morph The Cat, The Wall (awesome) and a few select others.

I know my system can do more with music. Definetly proven by the DVD soundtracks. I just can figure out why I cannot get the same 'back of the neck hair raising' response from CD's.

FYI.. For DVD playback, I use the COAX out (Monster 1000 THX). For CD playback, I use the analog out with Nordost Blue Heavan interconnects. Some A/B testing proved that the sound was better on CD with the analog outs.
DVD/CD Player = Rotel 1060 (you can see my system #98). I purchased this DVD player as the reputation for CD playback was the same as their standalone CD players.

So, is the problem the Rotel? Again, some CD's are pretty awesome. I don't want to invest in a CD player as I will probably go to some sort of hard disk based media centre (someting like the Olive or even PC wireless.. source recorded in lossless format).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

FYI.. For DVD playback, I use the COAX out (Monster 1000 THX). For CD playback, I use the analog out with Nordost Blue Heavan interconnects. Some A/B testing proved that the sound was better on CD with the analog outs.

Well you are using different DAC's and that will change the sound I find for 2CH you almost need a dedicated pre amp or a higher end pro with a built in pre amp.

without knowing all the other variables i say if you can get your hands on a friends CD player that you know, try that out and see ?? I for one am not a big fan of universal players, although the Sony 9100ES has gotten high marks. I have the Rotel 1072 cd player in my small system in our living room and feel that it performs well beyond it's price point, so if the 1060 universal player is as you say in comparrison then something dosen't add up.

MickeyVee said:
Hi All,

I have an interesting dilemma. I haven't watched a DVD in months. I put 'The Island' on Saturday night and was absolutely blown away by the sound. Fabulous imaging and good deep bass filling my living room. Just what I excpect from the Clarity's. Not bad for a two channel system and it's pretty consistant from all of my DVD's.

Now, when I listen to music, I am somewhat diappointed. There are a few CD's that sound pretty good but nothing compared to what I get from a movie soundtrack. The CD's include Enigma LSD ReMix, DVD-A of Brothers in Arms, SACD (although I can only play the stereo layer) of Dark Side of the Moon, Donald Fagen's Morph The Cat, The Wall (awesome) and a few select others.

I know my system can do more with music. Definetly proven by the DVD soundtracks. I just can figure out why I cannot get the same 'back of the neck hair raising' response from CD's.

DVD/CD Player = Rotel 1060 (you can see my system #98). I purchased this DVD player as the reputation for CD playback was the same as their standalone CD players.

So, is the problem the Rotel? Again, some CD's are pretty awesome. I don't want to invest in a CD player as I will probably go to some sort of hard disk based media centre (someting like the Olive or even PC wireless.. source recorded in lossless format).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hola, also when you are using DVDs, you have 24 bit format and with cds you only have 16 bit format. This difference is 8 times 16 X 16 bigger so, with DVDs you have better sound. Of course too, there are very good recordings in 16 bit format, but the quality of the recording is the clue here. Hope this can help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Possibly hearing the shortcomings of CD! I too use the Clarity's and am as impressed with music, in fact more so, than with DVD's.

congrats, you've hit the sonic wall

risabet said:
Possibly hearing the shortcomings of CD!

I fully agree. Mickey, it is incredible how many CD's suffer from bad recording / equalization. With my very analytical system I am disappointed 3 times out of 5 when I play a new CD... I guess it's the price to pay for having top gear.

Thanks All.

I'm suspicious of the Rotel 1060 as a CD player but I'm also getting painfully aware of the shortcomings of CD recordings.

I'll go to my favorite dealer and see if I can borrow a Rotel 1072 CD player (which belive from all the comments and reviews, is pretty good) and compare it with the 1060 DVD/CD player.

If I can get a loaner, I'l keep you posted...

I'm new, and don't have alot of experience as comparison, but I have been reasonably impressed with the Denon DVD 2910. It has gotten favorable reviews, has a good DAC, and plays DVD's, CD's, SACD's and DVD-A's. For a combo player at a sub 1K pricepoint, it seems a pretty good "all around" value. (Should you decide to get something other than the Rotel you currently have.) Still I agree with the other learned people above. There are lots of CD's out there that just aren't recorded well enough to stand up to equipment that is so "revealing". :)

[email protected]

Martin Logan Vantage, Yamaha RX-V1600, Krell KAV 400xi, Denon DVD 2910

MickeyVee said:
I'm suspicious of the Rotel 1060 as a CD player but I'm also getting painfully aware of the shortcomings of CD recordings.

I'll go to my favorite dealer and see if I can borrow a Rotel 1072 CD player (which belive from all the comments and reviews, is pretty good) and compare it with the 1060 DVD/CD player.
Jeff Z just added a Channel Islands VDA-2 outboard DAC to his Rotel (cannot remember what model he has) and has been very happy with the results.

Jeff???? :)

Dan

Jeff Zaret said:
It was the VDA-2 with the out board power supply. It made my Rotel step another level which I thought would have been hard to do.
What Rotel do you have?? The OP had the 1060 and others have mentioned upgrading to the 1072.

Back