Digital Photography Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Does anybody have working knowledge of Sony's Hard Drive Digital photo album HDPS-L1 ? I am looking at convienent ways to do slide shows on my HDTV. I see that the Sony has provisions for all the popular media cards but I download mine to the computer for editing and then put them to permenant storage on a externanl / portable HD, would it work to interface my external Hd with the sony unit via USB or Firewire ???

try not to poke to much fun at me, i'm old and from the Kodak Carousel generation.

Sorry can't answer your question but since your old Kodak guy you might

want to try the free Kodakgallery.com, I use it to slide show on my computer.

Munster said:
Sorry can't answer your question but since your old Kodak guy you might

want to try the free Kodakgallery.com, I use it to slide show on my computer.

slide show on my desktop isn't what i'm after (ive already got it), I want to put one up on my HDTV

Dave,

I am not personally familiar with the Sony unit, but I just read about it at Sonystyle.com.

It says that you can hook the unit to your computer via USB, so you could transfer your pictures easily that way. The unit has a 80 gigabyte hard drive, which should hold a heck of a lot of pictures.

That's what I do, only I use a Photovu which is an independant unit with its own screen and processor. I have a small portable hard drive hooked to it via USB that has all my pictures on it. If I want to add or delete pictures, I just move the hard drive to my computer and make the changes and then move it back to the photovu.

The photovu also has the ability to connect to a home network via ethernet or wireless so that you can stream pictures from a computer if you want.

If you didn't want to connect the Sony unit directly to your computer, you could transfer your pictures via flash cards, using either your camera or an independant universal card reader/writer (these are inexpensive and available at good photo or computer stores).

I would recommend connecting directly to your computer the first time you want to transfer a bunch of pictures because that is the quickest way to do it. Then when you want to add a few pictures to the Sony hard drive later on, you could use the flash cards to transfer them.

Hope this helps.

twich54 said:
Does anybody have working knowledge of Sony's Hard Drive Digital photo album HDPS-L1 ? I am looking at convienent ways to do slide shows on my HDTV. I see that the Sony has provisions for all the popular media cards but I download mine to the computer for editing and then put them to permenant storage on a externanl / portable HD, would it work to interface my external Hd with the sony unit via USB or Firewire ???

try not to poke to much fun at me, i'm old and from the Kodak Carousel generation.

Twich,

Try the new ipod. it has 80 gb and you can download pictures and videos on it and show them on your HDTV using an ipod dock. I just got the new ipod and a DLO Homedock deluxe for the same purpose. I haven't had the chance to hook them up though.

Rich, Thanks for the words of wisdom !

Rtagle, Another idea, thanks !

If your TV offers HDMI, VGA or DVI in why not just use a laptop. I use a laptop, a blue tooth keyboard and mouse and do most of my on-line work and photo viewing on the TV. My HD TV can do 720P VGA at 1024 x 768, so it works great. I can even watch downloaded movies from my laptop.

How about an Xbox 360 connected to PC via cable or even better, Wifi? It would let you play slide shows, videos, music from your PC. I have been told the downside is fan noise, though.

If you have a Mac, Apple is introducing iTV early next year which allows you to stream your photos, videos, and music to your home theater wirelessly and painlessly. It's cheap too...less than $300. It's one of the reasons I got a Mac.

many ways to the final solution

There are many ways to get stills into a slideshow on the television. There are complicated ways that are very gratifying, such as using a video editing program where you slide each photo into a "timeline" and then also have the ability to attach music to it, although being in the ML club you could probably just play music on itself with teh slideshow playing. Anyways, if you are on mac theres a program called imovie which will do it, on pc theres a program called windows movie maker (as long as you have xp or media center.) The next way is a bit less complicated and that involves transferring the photos onto a memory stick as long as your tv *sony tv im guessing* has a memory stick slot on it, transfer the photos to the memory stick and pop it into the tv....done. The other way is to burn them onto a cd and some dvd players will do it on their own, usually not with fancy transitions but a simple slideshow. Hope this helps. Ill try to think of other ways i've done them in the past that are simpler....

Hell twitch, I'd be happy just to figure out how to post my system!

Tony, you mean to tell me you are more 'computer' challenged than me !! ???? I did not think that could be possible !!

As far as my HDTV, no it's not a Sony rather one of the last CRT Tubed 38" RCA's. I do remember some German mfg using the tube in their high end version of this TV.

The Sony Dig playback unit I spoke of does seem to be the least challenging for someone like me that is not computer savy.

'fraid so! "Computer challenged" actually implies that I know how to do something on a computer. I'm tickled to death just to be able to surf this forum and make tacky comments!

Latest posts

Back