Digital audio renderer question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all!

I currently have a Synology RS-815+ 8TB NAS with around 4TB of FLAC audio, DVD's, family photos, etc.. I am looking for a renderer with storage to move all audio to that doesn't require internet control. I enjoy the DSaudio interface, but due to living in the sticks, so to speak, I have to use dish internet which is inconsistent at best. I plan on retaining the Synology NAS, btw.

Looking for recommendations, as there are a lot of options.

Thanks!

Dan

Dan, I've been very happy with JRiver Media Center 24 (started on 17 and have been upgrading yearly), as it is a swiss-army knife when it comes to playing back content. So whether it is ripped 2Ch CD's, ripped multichannel DVD-A or SACD (converted to FLAC) or DVD/Blu-Ray rips, it plays them all.
I use HDMI out from a dedicated HTPC I built. All content is on a central NAS.

It is fairly geeky to set up, but that flexibility allows me to address issues other platforms do not. For instance, My NAD 7050 renderer I have in the living room required very specific DLNA output configuration to get consistent results; the MC platform allowed me to do that.

Remote control via the Jremote app (or the built-in WebUI) is very slick and convenient.

Thanks Jonathan, I will research the JRiver. Unfortunately my Synology does not have a direct access option via HDMI or USB, which is very frustrating. If it had an HDMI out I would just use my OPPO UDP-205 as a renderer, but it does not. One of my other options would be just to switch to an NAS with direct access. The Synology works great, but I don't like being dependent on the internet to be able to listen to my music. I don't mind streaming my other content, as I don't access those as often.

Dan

Sorry, I misunderstood what JRiver was. I am looking for a stand alone unit that has ample storage and contains it's own renderer, that doesn't require access to the internet to operate the interface. Something that doesn't need to access my network unless I want it to, and has good audio format flexibility.

Dan

Hi Dan,
I'm a little confused as to what your setup is using the internet during playback for. Your Synology and Oppo are both connected to your router which should work regardless of your internet connection, no? Your router should see both devices and function properly even if it cannot get to the internet.

Hi Dan,
I'm a little confused as to what your setup is using the internet during playback for. Your Synology and Oppo are both connected to your router which should work regardless of your internet connection, no? Your router should see both devices and function properly even if it cannot get to the internet.

Yes, the Oppo can render the content from Synology, but Oppo's interface is very cumbersome. I like the DSaudio interface as it is very user friendly and can run hi-Rez audio through my Oppo, but it is Internet based. I can also run Synology through my prepro via the router, but it compresses all hi-Rez to 16/44.... ok for casual whole house listening but not serious listening.. so my thought was to get an all in one digital component for audio only files that has at least 3tb of space with an easy to use interface, that doesn't need the internet to operate. Would like to have hdmi or USB outputs.. around $2k budget

Hopefully, in making sense.

Dan

Have u tried using the Oppo MediaControl app for smartphone? That's way easier interface than the oppo interface using your TV.

Back