Dig Down Deep... Devilishly Deep... Behold Other Subterranean Subwoofers Out There...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built-In Subwoofer...

JonFo,

What do you think of this built-in monster?
This subwoofer was built first as apart of the under-floor of the house. Prior to the HT installation. I can only imagine the viberation... Wow! :music:

Attachments

• huge_subwoofer.jpg
    huge_subwoofer.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,276
  • Huge Sub close-up.JPG
    Huge Sub close-up.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 4,153
Someone either has a very bad case of audio neurosis or a strong desire to say my woof's the biggest woof on the planet.

All one can do is ask why.

GG

a pair of JL audio 113 Fathoms - nuf said!

I have a pair in my system and absolutely love them!:rocker:

Attachments

• 10510.jpg
    10510.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,774
I have the Paradigm Reference Servo-15 v.2 which has several adjustments making it very flexible to work in almost any environment. It weighs in at 114 pounds and is a back breaker to move around. It just performs incredibly well with my pair of Odysseys.

hifid.jpg

JonFo,

What do you think of this built-in monster?
This subwoofer was built first as apart of the under-floor of the house. Prior to the HT installation. I can only imagine the viberation... Wow! :music:

That is a very cool implementation of a horn-loaded sub.

I'm not sure the outlets are in acoustically ideal locations in the room, as rarely is a symmetrical front quarter-width position conducive to good room-mode interaction. But then I've not seen the full plans and measurements. the resulting room is certainly big enough!

Personally, I think IB's work better than horns for these frequencies, but I agree with Risabet who suggested the ideal massive subwoofer is a Transmission Line. Couple a TL down to say 35hz for a shorter length, along with an IB-based Rotary for infrasonics and one would be all set :cool:

I’ll incorporate that thought into the next room design, and since my HT room designs are the basis for my home designs, it shouldn’t be a problem to fit this in ;)

:wow:This has got to be the biggest subwoofer cone speaker around...

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...prev=/images?q=Huge+Subwoofer&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

This one is just plain stupid. A stunt act to achieve a record. But as a low frequency transducer, it's utter cr@p :mad:

As discussed in the rotary woofer posts and articles, ultra-low frequencies require moving air at high volumetric rates. Pistonic motions fail to couple at those frequencies (unless we're talking something with the area of a wall).

So as I noted, the ultimate in-home sub would consist of TL from 35 - 80Hz, along with a rotary in its Infinite Baffle.

Throw a CLX pair on top of that, and I could be set for a while ;)

Interesting thread. One of my clients is contemplating two of the Thigpen rotary woofers to augment arrays of Sound Lab Majestics for a no holds barred home audio and home theater system. He is very much into organ music, and the Thigpen woofers are the only ones that will do justice to 32 ft. and 64 ft. pipes, not to mention other music. He has a lot of experience, having owned several ultra high end systems over the years, and says the rotary woofer not only has the ability to reach near DC at very high SPLs but also has the speed of a 4 inch cone woofer. I could see installing a couple here. An extremely thorough review of the rotary woofer can be viewed here.

Back