Detroit Area Newbie

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeGeoffGuy

Reaction score
Been reading this forum for a while. Took a chance and picked up a set of Aerius this summer on local CL that the owner said needed new panels. Half way through showering them, and the first one sounds pretty good. Hoping the second one comes out as good as the first.

Thank you.

-Geoff

Hi and welcome from the UK. Enjoy.

Thank you. Putting it back together today. Had to give it dry time...

-Geoff

Hi Geoff, where in the Detroit area are you? Hartland Twp here.
Hey! I am seven blocks from Detroit in Grosse Pointe Park. I picked up the speakers from a guy who lives just north of Leland (Fishtown) right on Lake Michigan. He had them on craigslist for over a month until I scooped them up right around the 4th of July. His ad was very grim about needing new panels, but I took a chance anyways.

Second one is reassembled and connected and the pair sound incredible. I have them set up in my basement workshop running off a 90's yamaha receiver. A friend of mine came over who had never seen MLs before. He was looking right at them, and asked me where they speakers were - they completely disappeared and just let the sound fill the basement.

They definitely aren't perfect, but I am still pretty happy. Cosmetically they are probably 8s, but they are all black and don't show much wear past a couple feet. I think the panels are past their prime - when I A to B them with a set of Polks I have down there, it seems like the MLs are missing the high treble like the high end of the cymbals. Still, you hardly notice it because the rest of it sounds so good. I am just going to enjoy them for awhile!

-Geoff

That is great You were able to bring them back with a wash!
I need to try that with mine.
Congrats!

Welcome. You are now under the ML spell. The speakers may not be in as bad a shape as you think. I don't think that Yamaha can adequately meet the power requirements of the ML. You need at least a 100 watt amp that can double its output from 8 ohm to 4 ohm. There is thread dedicated to amplifier choices. If you can trial one you may be pleasantly surprised!
Good luck.

Geoff, what a cool as hell story, great move jumping in on this using the used (pre owned) market a lot of my components are from the used market, turntable, phono preamp. My system is crazy it’s the only room I have to use so it’s a combination actually two systems home theater is a pioneer atmos receiver with a behrinnger amp to drive the subs and def tech center and klipsch fronts and surrounds. The real gem is the 2 channel Rogue stereo 100 on the panels and a Parasound A21+ on the lower end Backert Labs preamp Rega RP8 TT Dynavector cartridge classic 9A Logans 3 subs using Dr Earl Geddes sub theory and they blend seamlessly. The room could be better but it’s all I have. As for your thoughts on your Logans I think Lightloopy is right on the money those speakers are putting a big load on the Yamaha and that’s where the high end would suffer the older Logans throw a big swing in impedance to the amp. Look on the used market for a good quality integrated amp since you have a receiver now look for something with 100 watts per channel that like Lightloopy said doubles into 4 ohm load to 200. It may make a big difference for a relatively small investment. Nice job taking a chance on those speakers sounds like it’s going to pay off just fine!
1B5F0456-DB08-4009-889A-54327B6A03DC.jpeg
1B5F0456-DB08-4009-889A-54327B6A03DC.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C2268AB-DB81-4588-89E4-077603393B48.jpeg
    8C2268AB-DB81-4588-89E4-077603393B48.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Hey! I am seven blocks from Detroit in Grosse Pointe Park. I picked up the speakers from a guy who lives just north of Leland (Fishtown) right on Lake Michigan. He had them on craigslist for over a month until I scooped them up right around the 4th of July. His ad was very grim about needing new panels, but I took a chance anyways.

Second one is reassembled and connected and the pair sound incredible. I have them set up in my basement workshop running off a 90's yamaha receiver. A friend of mine came over who had never seen MLs before. He was looking right at them, and asked me where they speakers were - they completely disappeared and just let the sound fill the basement.

They definitely aren't perfect, but I am still pretty happy. Cosmetically they are probably 8s, but they are all black and don't show much wear past a couple feet. I think the panels are past their prime - when I A to B them with a set of Polks I have down there, it seems like the MLs are missing the high treble like the high end of the cymbals. Still, you hardly notice it because the rest of it sounds so good. I am just going to enjoy them for awhile!

-Geoff
Yeah, the highs are the first to go. Had that on my old Prodigy panels. Running Audyssey balanced it out a lot.

Welcome. You are now under the ML spell. The speakers may not be in as bad a shape as you think. I don't think that Yamaha can adequately meet the power requirements of the ML. You need at least a 100 watt amp that can double its output from 8 ohm to 4 ohm. There is thread dedicated to amplifier choices. If you can trial one you may be pleasantly surprised!
Good luck.
My Yamaha is rated for 100 RMS so it is probably right on the limit. They really start shining when I get past the half way point on the volume dial. These speakers will probably be living in my basement man cave for a while, so it should be enough. I have an old Carver TFM-45 that I want to get going at some point but it needs a little work first.

-Geoff

Geoff, what a cool as hell story, great move jumping in on this using the used (pre owned) market a lot of my components are from the used market, turntable, phono preamp. My system is crazy it’s the only room I have to use so it’s a combination actually two systems home theater is a pioneer atmos receiver with a behrinnger amp to drive the subs and def tech center and klipsch fronts and surrounds. The real gem is the 2 channel Rogue stereo 100 on the panels and a Parasound A21+ on the lower end Backert Labs preamp Rega RP8 TT Dynavector cartridge classic 9A Logans 3 subs using Dr Earl Geddes sub theory and they blend seamlessly. The room could be better but it’s all I have. As for your thoughts on your Logans I think Lightloopy is right on the money those speakers are putting a big load on the Yamaha and that’s where the high end would suffer the older Logans throw a big swing in impedance to the amp. Look on the used market for a good quality integrated amp since you have a receiver now look for something with 100 watts per channel that like Lightloopy said doubles into 4 ohm load to 200. It may make a big difference for a relatively small investment. Nice job taking a chance on those speakers sounds like it’s going to pay off just fine!

I bet those sound incredible! I didn't even think about running multiple amps on them...

-Geoff

Yeah, the highs are the first to go. Had that on my old Prodigy panels. Running Audyssey balanced it out a lot.
So I looked for a response diagram and found this on Sterophile's website: It looks like my panels might be in better shape than I thought. It looks like they drop off at around 11 kHz which is pretty much exactly what I am hearing!
aerius.jpg

Here are some reviews you may (or may not) have read from when the Original Aerius were introduced: Enjoy ! (I've enjoyed my used ones for two decades now.)

Attachments

• Aerius - Stereo Review June '93 - P1.jpg
    Aerius - Stereo Review June '93 - P1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • Aerius - Stereo Review June '93 - P2.jpg
    Aerius - Stereo Review June '93 - P2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • Aerius Review - Audio Feb 1994 p1.jpg
    Aerius Review - Audio Feb 1994 p1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Aerius Review - Audio Feb 1994 p2.jpg
    Aerius Review - Audio Feb 1994 p2.jpg