Descent Subwoofer Problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russb

Reaction score
I hope you guys can help me with a problem with my one subwoofer. I purchesed 2 subs back in october of this year. They are both under warranty.
I had the on sub in for a hum problem and JIm Power repaired it and sent it back to me on Nov. 11. Now I tried to play some heavy bass music and the same sub that was repaired for the hum problem the drivers are rattling. It sounds like the voice coiles are hitting on the magnet. The controls on both subs are set the same. Volume is at 5 1 /2 and the 25hz. is at about 3 1/2. When I try to turn up the volume on the preamp the one sub can't handel the deep bass notes. What could be wrong?
I can't get a hold of Martin Logan untin Monday. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem so I don't have to pay $100 to ship again.

Thanks
Russ Brikowski

Descent subwoofer...

Russb said:
I hope you guys can help me with a problem with my one subwoofer. I purchesed 2 subs back in october of this year. They are both under warranty.
I had the on sub in for a hum problem and JIm Power repaired it and sent it back to me on Nov. 11. Now I tried to play some heavy bass music and the same sub that was repaired for the hum problem the drivers are rattling. It sounds like the voice coiles are hitting on the magnet. The controls on both subs are set the same. Volume is at 5 1 /2 and the 25hz. is at about 3 1/2. When I try to turn up the volume on the preamp the one sub can't handel the deep bass notes. What could be wrong?
I can't get a hold of Martin Logan untin Monday. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem so I don't have to pay $100 to ship again.

Thanks
Russ Brikowski
Russ,

Welcome to the ML Club! :D

Please tell us about what kinds of equipment you have hooked up to your subwoofer? Also what length and type of cables are you running to your sub? Are you connected to LFE, for both subs? Are your subs connected in as a Master and Slave situation? It sounds like it could be an peramp or amp problem, or maybe a connection issue...

Cheers

-Robin

Russb said:

Thanks
Russ Brikowski
Hola Russ, welcome to the club. As Robin said, there are different things that could cause your problem. First, the bass energy of the right channel is different than the left. You could also overdriven, saturating the input of the sub...due to the fact that the frequency resonance of the room is different, you could have one sub working perfect, and the other not, even at the same level. Try to bring down the 25 Hz control -3dBs, at the bad sub. Play the deep bass, you could use this setting without loosing the deepness of the bass. Rattle means too much volume or certain frequency that is causing the sub to not to work properly. Hope this can help!
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Descent subwoofer problem

I am using all Analysis plus speaker cables and ic. I am using left and right in to my subs coming from the preamp in a stereo set up only no ht. My amp[ is a Bel Canto evo4 and a preamp pre2p. LIke I said this all started after the sub came back form Martin Logan. I had no issues with the sub as far as the bass goes only the hum which was repaired.

Russb

Descent...

Russb said:
I am using all Analysis plus speaker cables and ic. I am using left and right in to my subs coming from the preamp in a stereo set up only no ht. My amp[ is a Bel Canto evo4 and a preamp pre2p. LIke I said this all started after the sub came back form Martin Logan. I had no issues with the sub as far as the bass goes only the hum which was repaired.

Russb
Russ,

You know, IMHO you really should talk with Jim Power, at ML. I am starting to think, that this may be something, which came lose or somehow got damaged internally at ML by mistake and/or possibly during shipping back to you from ML... :(

My vote is to call Jim on Monday, just to be safe about this situation... ;)

Cheers

-Robin

Russ,

Sorry about your trouble. I know it is a pain and I would get help. The first thing I would do is either move the subs or if you can swap the cables to see if it is coming from your preamp, which I doubt. Does the problem/sound move or stay on the same sub. This will localize your problem to the sub or some other part of the your system.

If it were me and I had to send back the same sub I would ask Jim P if they will pay for the shipping since it has been recent or at the very least split the difference.

Jeff
:cool:

Jeff Zaret said:
Russ,

Sorry about your trouble. I know it is a pain and I would get help. The first thing I would do is either move the subs or if you can swap the cables to see if it is coming from your preamp, which I doubt. Does the problem/sound move or stay on the same sub. This will localize your problem to the sub or some other part of the your system.

If it were me and I had to send back the same sub I would ask Jim P if they will pay for the shipping since it has been recent or at the very least split the difference.

Jeff
:cool:
Jeff
thanks for your responce you to robin. I tried changing cables, I tried switching left and right to that sub. It seems to be somthing wrong in that sub. It will not handel any low freq. bass hits at all the voice coils hit the magnets. I am feel the voice coiles are damaged. I will try to get a hold of Jim Power first thing on Monday. I hope they dont give me a hard time and say the volume is to loud, because it is not. The other Descent sub is working perfectly.

Thanks
Russ

Back