Descent Setup

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

ltholley

Any suggestion from the owners of the descent as far setup goes? My comes in next week so I am just looking for a little help, any tips would be much appreciated.

Luke

Luke,
I have the Depth which is the smaller version.

Did you have a sub before?
If you did, then put this where the old one was and listen for a bit and see how it integrates with the system.
Are you listeningmostly to music or music and a combination of that with HT because this also presents a comprmise at times on settings.

Typically but not always the sub is best in the corner due to coupling but sometimes it is neither practical or too much. I would experiment first with position of the sub then "fiddle" with the adjustments.

For starters, I would set it as the manula suggests as a place to reference and begin. I might suggest either 90 or 180 degree setting on the phase. You should be able to tell fairly quickly if it is right for you. The 25hz setting is a tough one and takes some time depending on your room. THis isetting realling does provide a sublte but nice difference. The frequency is dependant on the speakers you use, the type of music and the room interaction. On this board you will find people having settings for their subs anywhere from 45 to 100 again this deends on you and your environment.

The best part is you get to play and decide what works best for you. Honestly n reality I think it will take days for you to fine tune it to the way you like it but this is the fun part of the hobby.

Good Luck and enjoy your new sub

Jeff :cool:

To answer your question I am replacing an older velodyne servo 12 that has seen better days. Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how it goes and maybe even put some new pictures up.

Luke

Luke,
The one thing I forgot was you know when it is setup right is when it dissapears and you can no longer "localize" the direction the bass is coming from. Mine is about half way down one wall and you would swear it is coming from the middle.
:D

Jeff :cool:

Any suggestion from the owners of the descent as far setup goes? My comes in next week so I am just looking for a little help, any tips would be much appreciated.

For the best resault you will want to look into room EQ and the velodyne SMS-1.

thanks for all the advice; I'll totally look into the room eq.

Luke

I have a Depth and I can say that the SMS-1 was the single biggest improvement in the sound of my system. I have a terrible bass peak between 25 and 49 hz with limited placement options. Any place I put the sub had this peak. The SMS-1 eliminated this peak which made a huge improvement in bass quality in my room. Now the bass is powerful and articulate.

I agree with what has been said so far. Jeff is right. Start with the suggestions made in the manual and work from there. If you don't use a room eq. device, I heartily recommend you purchase a radio shack sound pressure level meter and a good test cd. This really helps in adjusting settings to adjust for those peaks and nulls.

I have my Descent set up about four feet from the front wall and one foot out from the side wall, in a twenty by twenty-two foot room. I have my phase set at 90, my level at 5, my low pass filter at 70 Hz. (which matches well with my Ascents) and my 25 hz. filter at -12 db to make up for a large peak I had at that level. I arrived at all of this by starting with suggestions in the manual, and then just playing with various settings and locations and seeing how each affected s.p.l.s with the test tones. I now have pretty flat response all the way down. With the Ascents bi-amped, I get very pleasing bass response for music and movies.

Take your time to tweak it and enjoy the process. That is part of the fun of hi fi -- playing with the gear and getting it just right for YOU.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I've had my descent in for about a week and am totally loving the sound(of course tweaking it to no end). If there is any doubt in people's mind about the best sub to match with MLs my money is on the descent.

Luke

Back